PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket suspension kits

mhill53
Monday 8th March 2010, 23:59
What kits are people using? im considering changing my standard R setup for aftermarket stuff?

t5 stealth
Tuesday 9th March 2010, 00:06
im on koni adjustable with 40mm lower springs..............

walter leever
Tuesday 9th March 2010, 00:40
Mine's on FK coilovers(Highsport)and about 45 mm lower as standerd.:wink:

Flatout Phil
Tuesday 9th March 2010, 11:10
Mine's on FK coilovers(Highsport)and about 45 mm lower as standerd.:wink:

But Walter, on that setting how do you manage to clear obstacles like dust and pieces of gravel???
:duck:

flyingbrick
Tuesday 9th March 2010, 11:29
Lesjofors sport spring kit 40mm than standard....
Part number 4595811

walter leever
Tuesday 9th March 2010, 11:40
But Walter, on that setting how do you manage to clear obstacles like dust and pieces of gravel???
:duck:

Real slow like a chav.:shhh:

And looking far ahead.:firedevil

walter

Johnny5
Tuesday 9th March 2010, 19:15
Hi. These are what i went for on my 855

http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?products_id=3839

Perfect, easy DIY fit... improved handling and look 100%!

J5

Clan998
Tuesday 9th March 2010, 20:02
What kits are people using? im considering changing my standard R setup for aftermarket stuff?

Ive got bilstien B4's, eibach springs 40mm, camber adjustment bolts, lower IPD rear anti roll bar and front strutbrace ....car handles lovely .

The 2 best items were the strut brace and the anti roll bar ...also got the suspension set up properly on a computerised 4 wheel alignment machine check here for a center close to youhttp://www.alignmycar.co.uk/

It makes so much difference getting it all set up correctly ...really transformed my car .

Rich

Volvostorm
Tuesday 9th March 2010, 21:40
I'm fitted the favourite setup of Koni FSD's and Eibach springs this weekend.

t5 stealth
Tuesday 9th March 2010, 21:54
Ive got bilstien B4's, eibach springs 40mm, camber adjustment bolts, lower IPD rear anti roll bar and front strutbrace ....car handles lovely .

The 2 best items were the strut brace and the anti roll bar ...also got the suspension set up properly on a computerised 4 wheel alignment machine check here for a center close to youhttp://www.alignmycar.co.uk/

It makes so much difference getting it all set up correctly ...really transformed my car .

Rich

how do u find the camber adjustment bolts........do u get abnormal wear on the tyres ?

Clan998
Tuesday 9th March 2010, 22:20
how do u find the camber adjustment bolts........do u get abnormal wear on the tyres ?

Ive just had the camber set up so I dont get abnormal wear ( I think its something like 0.50 degrees) ... but the bolts will alllow more camber adjustment ( something like 2.0 degree's ) when I take the car on track days ... make it turn in sharper . Although it turns in ok as it is at the moment

Then after the track day take it back and get the front camber reset . Its £15 per adjustment ... so not to expensive cheaper than new tyres ... I do a lot of motorway miles so not too keen on wearing the inside edges of my tyres.

Rich

mhill53
Tuesday 9th March 2010, 23:00
if you use a 40mm drop kit im guessing the R suspension is already dropped around 40mm over a standard t5? so will it sit the same height as with the original setup?

orse
Tuesday 9th March 2010, 23:31
I believe the R was 20mm lower than the standard 850's so a 40mm drop will effectively give around a 20mm drop on an R

RollingThunder
Wednesday 10th March 2010, 08:07
I thought the 850R had a 30 or 40mm drop over std. My 855R is riding about that at the moment anyway, and thats with std 850R suspension.

I've just bought some Eibach springs and will shortly be getting Bilstein B4s to go with them, along with the IPD ARBs when I can afford them - the 850R and T5-R had reasonable ARBs fitted as std so I'm going to see how it handles with the 850R ARBs before shelling out another £350 on the IPD ones.

Flatout Phil
Wednesday 10th March 2010, 08:44
Ive just had the camber set up so I dont get abnormal wear ( I think its something like 0.50 degrees) ... but the bolts will alllow more camber adjustment ( something like 2.0 degree's ) when I take the car on track days ... make it turn in sharper . Although it turns in ok as it is at the moment

Then after the track day take it back and get the front camber reset . Its £15 per adjustment ... so not to expensive cheaper than new tyres ... I do a lot of motorway miles so not too keen on wearing the inside edges of my tyres.

Rich

How much are your laser alignment people charging - my local place in Bexleyheath wants £160 which I think sounds like a RIP off even if it is on a Hunter system - or is this the going rate? Anyone else, I'm not talking get tracking done at Kwik Fit, this is a full camber, toe in, caster and thrust angle alignment.

Clan998
Wednesday 10th March 2010, 20:54
How much are your laser alignment people charging - my local place in Bexleyheath wants £160 which I think sounds like a RIP off even if it is on a Hunter system - or is this the going rate? Anyone else, I'm not talking get tracking done at Kwik Fit, this is a full camber, toe in, caster and thrust angle alignment.

Hi Phil

The first time I paid about £70 quid mate.

Do a quick search and find one close to you and give them a call.

I went to a place in Tonbridge on saturday to get mine checked after I put the rear ARB on and they charged me £52 to check and adjust all 4 wheels.

You get a print out showing toe in camber thrust angle aalignment etc .... your place does seem expensive in my experience , unless there is something else they are doing ?

Give us a call if you want a chat about it

Rich

stuart@bigpower
Sunday 14th March 2010, 12:38
Guys

Not only is my car a bit of a shed, no offence Rob :) , but I'm kind of skint and can't justify spending hundreds on Koni FSD's or whatever. Can anyone recommend something cheap (like the Budgie) that will do the basic job?

Cheers

t5_monkey
Sunday 14th March 2010, 16:00
cheap way to get your car sorted:

Brand new OEM dampers, sports sprints, strut brace, Rear Roll Bar and alignment check.

That should be enough to keep you going on a budget.

stuart@bigpower
Sunday 14th March 2010, 16:06
Thanks for that :) I take it Rufe is the best bet for dampers?