PDA

View Full Version : Cost of a remap must it be 400 pounds ?

mas
Monday 8th March 2010, 20:02
I am tempted to have the D5 remapped but not too tempted to pay over 400 pounds for having it done. The car has 145,000 on it and I dont know how many years of good service it has left. Do I really need to pay 400 pounds for a remap. It seems a lot to me when the development has all been done long ago and it is just a short while on a lap top to do the job.

Please dont post the wonderments of what goes on :saint: , I have never claimed to have any mechanical knowledge ( because I havnt ) but as an ex computer engineer > systems administor I hav a pretty good idea how much effort is / is not involved and I just cant see how they justify 400 pounds for this.

If I were further ooop North I'd go to Wayne at chipwizards and for 400 pounds he would do a rolling road and custom remap as he does for many happy Porsche Folk. Now that I can see the value in. I'm sure a few years ago you could get an older Volvo remapped for about 250 but now 400 plus ?

Regards Mas

Flatout Phil
Monday 8th March 2010, 20:53
Knowledge is power - power is wealth! Like all these things, yes, you get stiffed, but hey, nobody would bother to develop these products if there wasn't a living in it. See Soviet Union circa 1975 for details - no incentive to innovate = stagnation. Bit like BL (actually BL in the 70s was a bit like the Soviet Union come to think of it now...)

Let them have their wedge, and enjoy the profits of the exchange as you fly off down the road in your invigorated motor. I would NEVER want an unmodified Volvo now I have had a remapped one!

And like a ROlls Royce, you will go on enjoying it, long after you forget what you paid for it...

hamish
Thursday 11th March 2010, 21:55
I am tempted to have the D5 remapped but not too tempted to pay over 400 pounds for having it done. The car has 145,000 on it and I dont know how many years of good service it has left. Do I really need to pay 400 pounds for a remap. It seems a lot to me when the development has all been done long ago and it is just a short while on a lap top to do the job.

Please dont post the wonderments of what goes on :saint: , I have never claimed to have any mechanical knowledge ( because I havnt ) but as an ex computer engineer > systems administor I hav a pretty good idea how much effort is / is not involved and I just cant see how they justify 400 pounds for this.

If I were further ooop North I'd go to Wayne at chipwizards and for 400 pounds he would do a rolling road and custom remap as he does for many happy Porsche Folk. Now that I can see the value in. I'm sure a few years ago you could get an older Volvo remapped for about 250 but now 400 plus ?

Regards Mas

Hi,

I totally agree with you! You shouldn't have to pay £400 for a remap on your 8 year old D5.
Which is why we will tune that car through the OBDII for £50 less than that ! Including a Rolling Road Power Run and a full diagnostic check before and after.

Regards,
Hamish.
www.hlmtuning.co.uk

p fandango
Thursday 11th March 2010, 23:05
Hi,

I totally agree with you! You shouldn't have to pay £400 for a remap on your 8 year old D5.
Which is why we will tune that car through the OBDII for £50 less than that ! Including a Rolling Road Power Run and a full diagnostic check before and after.

Regards,
Hamish.
www.hlmtuning.co.uk
oh i wish you hadn't of posted that in public Hamish, couldn't you of just PM'd him. Looks like theirs more going on the wish now lol

hamish
Thursday 11th March 2010, 23:32
oh i wish you hadn't of posted that in public hamish, couldn't you of just pm'd him. Looks like theirs more going on the wish now lol

lol

t5_monkey
Thursday 11th March 2010, 23:36
Hi,

Regards,
Hamish.
www.hlmtuning.co.uk

I think I'm gonna be sick :deal: the 'soliciting' award goes to Hamish :banana: (just teasin by the way!)

fair point tho, a rolling road before and after is a good idea - as long as it's one of those 'at the wheels' non corrected power readouts.

A custom map might make you a bit more power, but if your componentry is stock I doubt there'd be that much in it between that and a decent off the shelf map.

If your keeping your car more than a year I reckon £350 is a good buy - after all it's 'pleasure you can measure' every time you hump a hot hatch on the racetrack (sorry... road).