PDA

View Full Version : boost/air leak?

pigfight
Sunday 7th March 2010, 21:11
hi folks,
any help on this (as ever) is greatly appreciated, i will explain as best as i can:
i had my 1996 850r manual remapped, all was fine for a few weeks until the car started to intermittently cut out!! after checking (and replacing!!) all the usual culprits (fuel relays, filter, plugs etc.) it turned out to be the (remapped) ecu had a dry joint, so returned it to where i had it done, where it was resoldered, i put it back into my car and it started fine and runs sweet until the turbo spools up and kicks in (about 3000-3500 revs, and a third into the white of the dash turbo gauge), the revs and the turbo guage shoot up as though im pressing the clutch in for a few seconds (the clutch is fine, i can pull off in fourth on an incline, i checked), and then drop back and the cars 'actual' power catches up with it, so immediately phoned the 'remapper' who said that it would not be the ecu, and ive got a slipping clutch!, or a leak!. today, again! ive had the plugs out (which are nkg and look fine, been in for about 5000miles) also wondered if my actuator could have been wound up to much, so checked that and i cant turn it by hand (does that point to a problem?) so just left it. all hoses are intact and leak free as far as i can see (had it up on axle stands today and had a good check top and bottom with a torch)
sorry for the long winded thread, but wanted to submit as much history surrounding this problem as i could.
i would obviously be very gratefull for any help/ideas/advice.
thanks,
david.

pigfight
Sunday 7th March 2010, 21:16
just a quick add on, the 'boost surge but without the power' problem started happening as soon as id put the resoldered/repaired ecu back into the car, before this, the car pulled like a jet fighter (atleast until it started cutting out!!)
thanks again for any help.

pigfight
Sunday 7th March 2010, 21:35
should i have put this in the 850 section?
if so, can the mods move it for me please? tomcat?
thanks.

danny-R
Sunday 7th March 2010, 22:11
it sounds to me like a duff ecu if it was working fine beforehand, was it from a known/trusted company?
there's a certain guy on here i'm sure could help.

siamblue
Sunday 7th March 2010, 22:18
I think you might not get many replies here mate if people think the soldering was done in Bromsgrove, as this place is pro HLM, could you not put another ecu in, or borrow one from someone that has the same car?

What car have you got year model and transmission, also whereabouts are you in the Uk?

Gary

pigfight
Sunday 7th March 2010, 22:23
hi danny, thanks for the reply,
my thoughts are the same, but the 'remapper'! is "certain" its not the ecu.
so posted on here to see if anyone else had any ideas.

pigfight
Sunday 7th March 2010, 22:27
hi siamblue, again, thanks for replying.
i purposly refrained from naming the remapper for the exact reasons that you stated.
my car is a 1996 (n) 850r manual, im in stoke on trent!!
cheers

danny-R
Sunday 7th March 2010, 22:32
hi danny, thanks for the reply,
my thoughts are the same, but the 'remapper'! is "certain" its not the ecu.
so posted on here to see if anyone else had any ideas.

pm'd mate

pigfight
Sunday 7th March 2010, 22:53
quick update,
ive just found someone who is going to very kindly let me use their ecu out of their 850r on wednesday, but (in the meantime) if any of you have any other ideas as to what could be the cause/source of my problem, id still be very gratefull for all replies.
thankyou,
david.

pigfight
Wednesday 10th March 2010, 17:43
yay, problem solved (i think/hope!!)
turned out to be the wastegate actuator arm was wound up to tightly (not by me i might add) (now i know what spikeing is, i always wondered what you lot meant by it!)
as i said, i managed to borrow a standard 850r ecu today, and it ran sweet (not as powerfull though), so rang the remapper to see what could be done, and he suggested undoing the actuator arm a couple of times, and to use a 10 mm spanner (which is a great tip by the way, cause it wouldnt budge by hand)
took it out for a run, and its now pulling great without the spike.
thanks again to danny and gary for the replies, and who knows, this may be of help to someone else at some point.
regards
david.