PDA

View Full Version : 960 puzzle.....

Tomcat
Saturday 6th March 2010, 22:15
I've had a persistant problem with my 960 since I bought it, the alarm doesn't work off the fob, not a problem I thought I'll re programme it.....Nope, not doing anything... Tonight a thought ocured to me, I can lock the doors with the key, I can start the car with the key, I can't unlock the bootlid with the key and I don't seem to be able to re programme the alarm... The car only came with one key a black one, I have an awefull sinking feeling that this is the service key rather than the drivers key, could I be right?, anyone with a later car (96 on, with a coded key) shed any light on this?, can you use your service key?....is the drivers key supposed to be Grey?..

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 6th March 2010, 22:17
The service key usually can't lock/unlock the glove box either. Have you tried that?

What method are you using to program the fob?

Tomcat
Saturday 6th March 2010, 22:20
Not yet but I'm going to run down and try it in a minute....I'm getting that awfull sinking feeling that this could get really expensive.

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 6th March 2010, 22:37
Just one thing with the boot lock, to lock it in service mode the key has to be turned so the lock is horizontal. Otherwise you should be able to open it with the service key.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/bomb192uk/960boot.jpg

With my old 940 the master and service keys were both black, the service key had a smaller plastic moulding on it and the master key had a bigger plastic moulding. Or is your key like the 850 type?

Tomcat
Saturday 6th March 2010, 23:09
My key is like the V70/850 keys. I've tried the boot lock (again) and the key wont even go all the way in, same with the glovebox, it won't even push in let alone turn. It's beggining to look more and more like I have the service key, what I think I need to do now is contact Rufe and see what silly money it's going to cost for a replacement key...

Alan M
Sunday 7th March 2010, 11:45
Replacement keys are about £30ish IIRC for a volvo one or about half that for a Swedish non Volvo key but they still have to be ordered from Sweden. That was a while back when I got prices so they may have changed slightly.

Tomcat
Sunday 7th March 2010, 13:39
Replacement keys are about £30ish IIRC for a volvo one or about half that for a Swedish non Volvo key but they still have to be ordered from Sweden. That was a while back when I got prices so they may have changed slightly.

I'd have to order it from the dealers as if I get a none genuine one it would only be a copy of the existing service key.

Dangerous Dave
Monday 8th March 2010, 01:05
Thinking about it, the service key should be able to program a new remote in. After all it does start the car so should have the transponder in it, its just got a different cut in it so you cant open the boot.

Did you use the "all doors closed, switch ignition/off 5 times, then press button on remote" method to program the new one in?

Tomcat
Monday 8th March 2010, 07:43
Yup..

Tomcat
Tuesday 9th March 2010, 21:47
Ok after speaking to the previous owner I have a development, apparently he used to be able to get the alarm/central locking working off the fob by changing the fuse, this would then last a short time and then it would pop. I've tried a new fuse and it blows straight away, so I've now replaced the alarm control unit with a spare I had and put a new fuse in. Now I can get the alarm led to light up after five turns like it's waiting to be programmed but neither of the fobs I've got (both aren't in brilliant nick) will do anything, anyone got any spare fobs lying around they don't want?..

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 9th March 2010, 21:55
Is the alarm control unit off the same model?

Tomcat
Tuesday 9th March 2010, 21:56
Yup...well it's off an 850 but it looks the same.

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 9th March 2010, 22:19
Are the remotes the same as an 850 though?

Tomcat
Wednesday 10th March 2010, 00:20
Yeah they seem to be(the later type).

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 10th March 2010, 00:43
I was just thinking how different fobs don't work with earlier/later cars. Just a thought.

Maybe try an 850 fob?