PDA

View Full Version : oil in pipeing

ikp_77
Saturday 6th March 2010, 20:42
hi all i got traces of oil in my pipe work from the turbo the big thick pipe on the top of the engine wot could cause this cheers

p fandango
Saturday 6th March 2010, 20:53
no thats fine, oil from the PCV (positive crank vent) is fed back into the air intake pipe before the turbo so it will go thru the boost piping

ikp_77
Saturday 6th March 2010, 23:00
thanks again p fandgo i thought sumit was wrong with it cheers

orse
Saturday 6th March 2010, 23:53
Out of interest if there was quite abit of oil could it be possible the pcv could need replacing?

ikp_77
Monday 8th March 2010, 20:48
Out of interest if there was quite abit of oil could it be possible the pcv could need replacing?

pcv been done mate a few mounth ago cheers

nobananas
Monday 8th March 2010, 21:32
As pedro said that's pretty normal. As long as your motor isn't using excessive amounts of oil I wouldn't worry. I rebuilt my lump a few years ago and my oil consumption went from a litre a fortnight to using nothing, still have oil in the pipes though ! (catch tank going in soon !)

ikp_77
Tuesday 9th March 2010, 22:03
As pedro said that's pretty normal. As long as your motor isn't using excessive amounts of oil I wouldn't worry. I rebuilt my lump a few years ago and my oil consumption went from a litre a fortnight to using nothing, still have oil in the pipes though ! (catch tank going in soon !)

cheers i thought the catch tank was part of the pvc system

LeeT5
Monday 22nd March 2010, 23:38
cheers i thought the catch tank was part of the pvc system

Not sure what is meant by 'catch tank', but if it's the black box that bolts to the front of the block under the inlet manifold then yes, its is part of the PCV system.

Easiest and more accurate way of checking if your PCV system is partially blocked (would never be fully blocked because you would have major oil leaks and massive oil consumption) is to warm your engine up to operating temperature then at idle on level ground, slightly remove your oil dipstick about 2 inches up the dipstick tube. If you see white/grey smoke blowing up past the dipstick handle then your PCV needs replacing ASAP.

Not replacing 'ALL' the PCV tubing and pipes including the black box is usually the cause of the dreaded rear main seal leaking.

850s and early 'non' ME7 V/S70s are about £70 for all the parts. Later ME7 engines are more...£155 to be exact due to the intake manifold having coolant running through it.

Above prices are for the parts only. I do have a few photos of doing the ME7 PCV system and am intending on doing a 'How to'. I just haven't got round to it yet as i have just moved. It's a pig of a job on the ME7 engines especially if a T5 or R engine, however the 850 and early V/S70s are relatively easy in comparison.

Hardest part of the job on the ME7 is getting the right hand coolant pipe off (access is difficult) and also getting the manifold off to get to the throttle body. Allow a whole day and plenty of light.