PDA

View Full Version : Front End Knock under Compression

iron_mighty07
Saturday 6th March 2010, 15:16
Having given up on my V70 estate I'm concentrating on the S60 daily(2002 2.0T) I've been using for a while and I'm a tad perplexed :confused:with the low tone knocking noise from what feels/sounds like the N/S front corner.

Checked the obvious things(immediate thoughts were bushes),but had already changed some parts last year(bottom arms and ball joints), and had a good look and feel underneath(drop links(with vehicle on ground) but nothing that feels to move comparitive to the noise I'm experiencing. O/S drop link has a small amount of play and I'll be changing that. I keep reading about top mounts and spring seats being a route cause of such issues but there's no play in the top mount that's obvious to see/feel - is it still possible these could be the issue(vehicle is at 86k miles).

Appreciate this question asked before but curious to confirm whether there's a chance this might be the case even without any visual indicators?

Any contributions gratefully received as I need to get if tracked up and want to do this work before I have to rave everything out again!.

Many thanks!

phil_woods
Saturday 6th March 2010, 17:33
When I had a knock on my v70 I took the whole strut out and stripped it. I found that the upper spring seat had perished meaning that the metal cylinder was free to move thus causing the knock. Replaced that and it's all fixed.

P.s can't believe I just used the word thus in a sentence lol