PDA

View Full Version : & yet another one

p fandango
Saturday 6th March 2010, 13:16
as i posted before my old man was on the look out for a S60 D5, & today we got one. We've looked at a few & not local either but all were no where near what we were after. Looking thru the Autotrader lastnight & one turned up in the higher end of his price range but only 5 miles away, bit more investigation & it turned out that it was at the dealership my cousin manages. Quick phone call & we'd got all the inside info on it & decided to have a look. Has had a bit of paint but its a 2003 with tonnes of extra's (satnav, tv, phone, speedball gear-lever, electric drivers seat, heated seats) & 12monthes MOT. Has got an issue with the indicators arrow isn't working on the dash & the clock is counting down resembling a bomb countdown, there sorting both out & hopefully pick it up Wednesday

http://xs.to/image-18EB_4B9253B6.jpg

http://xs.to/image-BFFA_4B9253B6.jpg

http://xs.to/image-C470_4B9253B6.jpg

http://xs.to/image-6B7B_4B9253B6.jpg

needs a new armrest cover, speedball knob & passenger door window rubber, but for £3.5K i don't think you can moan

thebadger
Saturday 6th March 2010, 13:32
Looks tidy, I'd pay £3.5k for it in that nick!

The issues on the dash sound like a SW issue, though the indicator bulb is a replaceable bulb in some early models, & an LED in later ones IIRC.

The ball for the stick could be sourced from Rufe I guess & the arm rest off ebay (replacement leather or the door/cover part).

Hope he enjoys it!

p fandango
Saturday 6th March 2010, 14:39
Looks tidy, I'd pay £3.5k for it in that nick!

The issues on the dash sound like a SW issue, though the indicator bulb is a replaceable bulb in some early models, & an LED in later ones IIRC.

The ball for the stick could be sourced from Rufe I guess & the arm rest off ebay (replacement leather or the door/cover part).

Hope he enjoys it!
its certainly alot better than the others we've looked at, a year newer with more extras & they've all had some paintwork damage on them

i've no idea about the clock which is why we made sure they were going to sort that, the indicators they think is down to a problem with old wiring for a towbar. I was concerned it was the start of the instrument cluster failing

th glovebox is the actual door, the whole lot is missing so think have a word with Oliver at TMS. He's not overly keen on the spaceball (coming from an auto) so we're swopping & i'll have it on Bonny

thanks for the comments, once he starts saving at the pump he'll be happy enough. Having had the Saab for 8years he's a bit worried about getting a new motor but it looks well enough (fingers crossed)

thebadger
Saturday 6th March 2010, 14:48
Not that many problems really then! :rolleyes:

I'd check it's not a SW issue on the clock. Sounds it, or the dial unit could be rotten.

They do also appear on ebay, but it's deffo a dealer fix to swap them.

p fandango
Saturday 6th March 2010, 14:58
Not that many problems really then! :rolleyes:

I'd check it's not a SW issue on the clock. Sounds it, or the dial unit could be rotten.

They do also appear on ebay, but it's deffo a dealer fix to swap them.
no its not bad, just needs a bit of time & TLC. We've left the dials in clock & indicators in there hands to sort, we're quite happy to sort the other niggles.

i'm more excited about getting me spaceball now lol

p fandango
Saturday 6th March 2010, 20:10
done a bit of research & it looks like the clock fast forwarding & the indicator arrows not working is a sign of the DIM (drivers information module) fault, which needs the dealer to software match the new circuit board even if you fit a secondhand one. Going to phone up my cousin tomorrow who's manager of the car sales place & point it out, he wasn't happy about dropping the price so much anyway so don't think he'll be impressed that this problem is going to cost so much, we shall see what happens

v70torslanda
Saturday 6th March 2010, 21:58
That car needs a new set of clocks. It has a broken circuit board inside the instrument cluster. if you need to prove this then slap the top of the instrument cluster while the car is running.This stops the clock. You will also find the main beam indicator and that not all the warning lights in the right hand cluster are functioning all the time. The seat belt chime probably isn't working either. Volvo supply the clocks exchange and won't sell you any bits to repair them.

BBA-Reman can recondition/repair them for considerably less (Rufe quoted me the thick end of six hundred quid) and turn them round in 2-3 working days.

There being no loyalty or any such thing as 'friends' in the motor trade be sure that this is taken care of before you hand over the dosh cos it sure as sh*t won't be covered by any warranty once the car's sitting on your drive.

luv'n'stuff

J

v70torslanda
Saturday 6th March 2010, 22:01
Clicky (http://www.bba-reman.com)

thebadger
Saturday 6th March 2010, 22:14
Guessed it might be something expensive being dead or shot.

I can only guess the expected costs involved in doing the replacement.

I'd assume it will have to be picked up by the dealership as I think a lot of the computer stuff runs off the DIM.

Hope your cousin is reasonable about it. (and not too peeved at the costs involved!)

p fandango
Sunday 7th March 2010, 02:15
That car needs a new set of clocks. It has a broken circuit board inside the instrument cluster. if you need to prove this then slap the top of the instrument cluster while the car is running.This stops the clock. You will also find the main beam indicator and that not all the warning lights in the right hand cluster are functioning all the time. The seat belt chime probably isn't working either. Volvo supply the clocks exchange and won't sell you any bits to repair them.

BBA-Reman can recondition/repair them for considerably less (Rufe quoted me the thick end of six hundred quid) and turn them round in 2-3 working days.

There being no loyalty or any such thing as 'friends' in the motor trade be sure that this is taken care of before you hand over the dosh cos it sure as sh*t won't be covered by any warranty once the car's sitting on your drive.
cheers mate, it must be at the start of failing because everything else other than the indicators & clock are still working. We haven't even handed over a deposit as its family so see what they say later today (why am i awake at 2am lol)

they've got a good reputation so sure they'll do the proper thing & not back out of the sale, we haven't even handed over a deposit yet

my old man works on delicate circuit boards repairing mobile phones so thinking whether it could be worth looking at ourselves if they knock another £200 off

p fandango
Sunday 7th March 2010, 02:26
Guessed it might be something expensive being dead or shot.

I can only guess the expected costs involved in doing the replacement.

I'd assume it will have to be picked up by the dealership as I think a lot of the computer stuff runs off the DIM.
yeh if its got to be new dials/DIM unit then yeh its going to be dear to get it reprogramed & matched to the car from the main stealer. As i said in the above post my old man is good with a soldering & circuits so thinking about taking it out & looking at possibly fixing it ourselfs (only my idea, haven't suggested it to my old man yet & its his car anyway so might want them to do it all incase he can't fix it)

Hope your cousin is reasonable about it. (and not too peeved at the costs involved!)
lol cheers mate. We haven't handed any money over yet so if they do back out then we haven't lost anything, he's from my dads side of the family so can't see them backing out because he'll have his dad to answer too lol. He was already quite peeved that we wouldn't move on the price we wanted to pay when talking money. There covered by quite a good warranty company so might be able to claim the costs thru them, my bro brought a 306 off them (many years ago) & the cat went not long after buying it & they covered the full costs

we shall see

p fandango
Wednesday 10th March 2010, 19:34
well he went & picked the car up this afternoon & they said they'd managed to sort the indicators but no luck with the clock, been out playing all afternoon/evening & the clock has been fine as well (we think they didn't know how to set it lol). We did think there was an issue with the full beam not latching on would only flash, then we realised the headlights weren't on it was on DRL's lol. Needs a very good clean, the CD player is knackered & the few bits i've already mentioned but i'm passing TMS on the way to work tomorrow so will pop in to see Oliver

still got a Saab in the way at the minute but hopefully we'll move it tomorrow to get pics of Bonny & Egbert together

v70torslanda
Wednesday 10th March 2010, 19:51
Wots' the SAAB?

p fandango
Wednesday 10th March 2010, 20:36
Wots' the SAAB?

2001 9-3 Aero convertible, auto. Not sure what price he's after yet but i'll put a thread once everythings sorted

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy196/pedro-fandango/Saab%20pics/Picture019.jpg

t5_monkey
Wednesday 10th March 2010, 20:51
That Saab looks tidy - isn't that the model that torque steers like a Mofo or is that just the Viggen?

Those redtop Saab engines are reputedly quite good for tuning too i hear :)

p fandango
Wednesday 10th March 2010, 20:55
That Saab looks tidy - isn't that the model that torque steers like a Mofo or is that just the Viggen?

Those redtop Saab engines are reputedly quite good for tuning too i hear :)
Thanks it is a lovely car, but he's had it 8years now so bored & wants a change. I think the Viggen where the one for the torque steer, its an auto so that smoothes the power delivery out anyway. Even the 600bhp Pikes Peak Saab uses a standard block so yes they are very strong

v70torslanda
Wednesday 10th March 2010, 21:42
Note to self:

'Step away from the Saab!'

Momma like!

p fandango
Wednesday 10th March 2010, 21:56
Note to self:

'Step away from the Saab!'

Momma like!
he's had Saab's for about 25years now & not may models he hasn't had (96, 900, 9000, 9-5 etc). This is the first time he's ventured away to another manufacture, was very worried at first but seems to have got used to the controls of the S60 now & a bit more comfortable in it

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy196/pedro-fandango/Saab%20pics/saabuk.jpg
the old weekend toy, got rid of it tho becuase it was getting very little use

p fandango
Thursday 11th March 2010, 15:46
http://xs.to/image-7194_4B990E3F.jpg

p fandango
Saturday 27th March 2010, 16:43
tried to swop over the gear levers today as my old man doesn't like the Spaceball, but it turns out the ends of the cables are different & we didn't feel like changing them as well, shame but never mind

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/2513/picture036ji.jpg

p fandango
Sunday 1st August 2010, 11:34
i think my old man must be getting soft, he let me fit his reverse parking sensors which includes taking the bumper off & drilling holes in it lol. I tell you something tho, never work with kids or parents lol. Took a few hours to do but still moaning now that the corner is 1mm out of line, tried telling him its an 8year old car & probably like that before but you'll never win lol. The job was made alot easier thanks to Volvo marking the sensor positions inside the bumper. They work very well so not sure now whether to go for a camera, the reverse sensors or both on Bonny

thebadger
Sunday 1st August 2010, 14:25
I find having a camera is far more reassuring than a box of electronics.

Beware the short hidden post or jaggy boulder. They will eat the car!

Fitted my camera just under the hadle/plate light bar as it can be removed & it's not a big obvious item.

I'm currently considering an upgrade to the camera as the first one I've fitted was a bit bulky & not very great on the resolution.

p fandango
Sunday 1st August 2010, 14:36
I find having a camera is far more reassuring than a box of electronics.

Beware the short hidden post or jaggy boulder. They will eat the car!

Fitted my camera just under the hadle/plate light bar as it can be removed & it's not a big obvious item.

I'm currently considering an upgrade to the camera as the first one I've fitted was a bit bulky & not very great on the resolution.
yeh thats the same place i was thinking of putting it, just need to get round to ordering one lol. Defo having a camera but was thinking of the sensors as well

my old man managed to reverse into a postbox in his old Saab becuase it was right between the sensors so neither picked it up lol

Liddo
Sunday 1st August 2010, 14:45
Pedro, how easy was it to get the bumper off, can you do a "how to" if you do it again please mate.

I need to replace the grey trim on the top of the bumper, but im not to sure if its a bumper off job, or will it just peel off???

p fandango
Sunday 1st August 2010, 15:18
Pedro, how easy was it to get the bumper off, can you do a "how to" if you do it again please mate.

I need to replace the grey trim on the top of the bumper, but im not to sure if its a bumper off job, or will it just peel off???
Are you sure the grey trim is seperate, i don't remember seeing any splits in the cover when we were working on the inside of it? It looked all one piece

Any way, heres how to remove it

Remove the battery & spare wheel from the boot. Still in the boot looking at the rear panel there is a foam sound deadening pad stuck to it, pull this off. Under that pad there are 4 x 13mm bolts which are sunk into holes so you can't see the heads, be carefull because you don't want to drop them into the panel.

inside each wheel arch you've got 3 pop-rivets to drill out, theirs another one underneath as well. Still in the wheel arch there is a small torx between 2 of the pop-rivets, it might be hidden under mud but there is a gap in the arch lining to hint where it is. Undo this screw 5-6 turns (don't not fully remove it) & push the screw in so it sits flush. This pushes a plastic bracket away that is clamping the bumper ends into place

the bumper is now loose, as you pull the bumper rearwards to remove it only pull the drivers side corner away a few inches so you can get your hand between the bumper & panel to unplug the aerial.

as the naff Heinz manual says refitting is reverse procedure, remembering to plug the aerial back in first & to tighten the torx screws in the arches up last

hope that helps, if not let me know & i'll try & give more detail

Liddo
Sunday 1st August 2010, 16:36
Cheers fella, much appreciated. Will order the part from Rufe and see how it attaches. It MUST come apart somehow, as I can order the part!

Fingers crossed ;)