PDA

View Full Version : intercooler

leet5r
Thursday 4th March 2010, 21:11
whats the best intercooler to put on my t5r lads as i have a 1 off a 200sx lyin about

Jamest5r
Thursday 4th March 2010, 21:14
If its bigger use it, just have to change all the pipework...

smithy
Thursday 4th March 2010, 21:14
whats the best intercooler to put on my t5r lads as i have a 1 off a 200sx lyin about

is it an aftermarket one if so then you will make it fit if not leave the 1 in it mate.

leet5r
Thursday 4th March 2010, 21:16
yeah lads its massive like i think i will have to cut the bumper and dont really want 2 like .
av got a pic here but it wont let me put it on here for some reason like

leet5r
Thursday 4th March 2010, 21:19
workin now lol

smithy
Thursday 4th March 2010, 21:20
yeah lads its massive like i think i will have to cut the bumper and dont really want 2 like .
av got a pic here but it wont let me put it on here for some reason like

you could make that fit no probs mate

leet5r
Thursday 4th March 2010, 21:28
its 3inchs wide like , a need to get the bumper off like to have a look , whats the best way to get te bumper off like bud

smithy
Thursday 4th March 2010, 21:31
its 3inchs wide like , a need to get the bumper off like to have a look , whats the best way to get te bumper off like bud

the is plenty of room when take the orginal out but you will have to make brackets for the rad though.

p fandango
Thursday 4th March 2010, 22:11
as you can see theirs plenty of room behind the bumper, if you've got air-con then the evaporator is in front of the standard intercooler. I've never been keen on fitting universal intercoolers because the extra length of the pipes & corners you normally have to use counteract any performance advantages (in my opinion), but i am looking at possibly getting one myself instead of fitting the original back in

http://xs.to/image-A5B9_4B902E84.jpg

smithy
Thursday 4th March 2010, 22:15
as you can see theirs plenty of room behind the bumper, if you've got air-con then the evaporator is in front of the standard intercooler. I've never been keen on fitting universal intercoolers because the extra length of the pipes & corners you normally have to use counteract any performance advantages (in my opinion), but i am looking at possibly getting one myself instead of fitting the original back in

http://xs.to/image-A5B9_4B902E84.jpg

mine as actually got shorter larger piping in mine mate .

p fandango
Thursday 4th March 2010, 22:21
mine as actually got shorter larger piping in mine mate .
it was just a generalisation, most are smaller intercoolers hidden as far down as possible which means longer pipes & more twists in the pipe causing more restriction.

saying that that is exactly how mine will be, but i'm hoping the larger 3" inch pipe with 3" intercooler ports will reduce any side-effects of the longer pipes. I can see plenty of experimenting happening in the future lol

smithy
Thursday 4th March 2010, 22:24
it was just a generalisation, most are smaller intercoolers hidden as far down as possible which means longer pipes & more twists in the pipe causing more restriction.

saying that that is exactly how mine will be, but i'm hoping the larger 3" inch pipe with 3" intercooler ports will reduce any side-effects of the longer pipes. I can see plenty of experimenting happening in the future lol

you will not need to put the intercooler down the bottom of the car as our cars get plenty of air throw the front grill anyway mate .but as you say plenty of experimenting ahead mate lol.

p fandango
Thursday 4th March 2010, 22:31
you will not need to put the intercooler down the bottom of the car as our cars get plenty of air throw the front grill anyway mate .but as you say plenty of experimenting ahead mate lol.
becuase aftermarket ones are normally quite small height wise compared to the stock one i have thought of 2 intercoolers, one underneath the bumper bar & one above (but think of the weight lol)

leet5r
Thursday 4th March 2010, 22:39
whats the best bolt on 1 as like like the RIP kit lol

p fandango
Thursday 4th March 2010, 22:54
whats the best bolt on 1 as like like the RIP kit lol
there was a bar & plate drop in intercooler on ebay from a shop but i've lost the link, think it cost about £250 with shipping

Rnash2002
Friday 5th March 2010, 08:11
there was a bar & plate drop in intercooler on ebay from a shop but i've lost the link, think it cost about £250 with shipping
This one?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170373354076&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

p fandango
Friday 5th March 2010, 14:14
This one?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170373354076&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
ah thanks thats the one, have they not relisted it? I suppose you can mail them direct & they'd do the same price again

TenaciousC
Saturday 6th March 2010, 09:36
Just curious - Is there any reason why the standard Volvo IC is not sufficient? The one you have from the 200SX is not Nissan OEM and will have been fitted to replace the original and ineffective wing mounted one on those cars. The standard Volvo one seemed much more up to the job IMHO and wasn't a mod I had considered necessary.

Cheers

C

leet5r
Saturday 6th March 2010, 16:04
Just curious - Is there any reason why the standard Volvo IC is not sufficient? The one you have from the 200SX is not Nissan OEM and will have been fitted to replace the original and ineffective wing mounted one on those cars. The standard Volvo one seemed much more up to the job IMHO and wasn't a mod I had considered necessary.

Cheers

C

av git a t3t4 turbo to go on the volvo 1 is not up to 400plus lol

p fandango
Saturday 6th March 2010, 16:07
as you say the stock one isn't bad, but obviously if you can get the temperatures cooler its all going to help

leet5r
Saturday 6th March 2010, 16:41
the t3t4 is not water cooled like , so am unsure weather to use it ,but i want to run a 13 sec quarter like m8

smithy
Saturday 6th March 2010, 18:08
the t3t4 is not water cooled like , so am unsure weather to use it ,but i want to run a 13 sec quarter like m8

you would be better getting a watercooled 1 really but you will still be pushing a t5 to get 13 sec quaters and fwd aswell.what gearbox you using.the only person i know that has got a 13.5 with a standard box and 19t is spesh but i know he can do drag racing dam good.

leet5r
Saturday 6th March 2010, 18:55
you would be better getting a watercooled 1 really but you will still be pushing a t5 to get 13 sec quaters and fwd aswell.what gearbox you using.the only person i know that has got a 13.5 with a standard box and 19t is spesh but i know he can do drag racing dam good.

am canny handy mesell like lol , probs better at track days , ad swap with turbo for a 18 or 19t like

smithy
Sunday 7th March 2010, 09:18
its all to do with traction a 19t is a good start but the m59 box or a gripper or similar lsd is a must if you want to pull 13s really.when spesh put his v70 p1 on the strip last year at avon he pulled a 13.2 but he did have a gripper diff and a gt3071 turbo fitted to a strenghtened engine which he has fitted to his 850 saloon.but he still had some traction priblems with that setup mate .

leet5r
Sunday 7th March 2010, 10:00
av heard good things about the gripper diff like

Alan M
Sunday 7th March 2010, 10:08
Water injection is a very good add on with the standard intercooler. I noticed a massive improvement at the higher rev range when I installed my kit on the standard IC. I also noticed an inprovement still with the WI when I installed a 76mm core IC. I got mine in the group buy last year on T5D5 after pestering Marky for ages (sorry mate lol). As discussed on T5D5 a while back, the universal IC available are nowhere near the correct shape for our cars. Its best to get one the correct shape as the total surface area is all wrong on universal items compared to OE even though they are thicker. You can fit RS500 IC's though (similar shape to Russ's RT) as this was the route I was going to follow if the one I bought wasn't available.

p fandango
Sunday 7th March 2010, 10:10
av heard good things about the gripper diff like
LINK (http://www.rallyanarchy.com/phorum/read.php?5,17169,17233,quote=1) there were quite a few cases of the same problem, unfortunatly the manufacture didn't rectify all of them so easily

leet5r
Sunday 7th March 2010, 10:12
cheers m8 , has any1 got any pics of a 500 intercooler on here

p fandango
Sunday 7th March 2010, 10:16
cheers m8 , has any1 got any pics of a 500 intercooler on here
http://www.t7tuning.com/webshop/images/products/FMINT097FMINT097%20-%20Ford%20Cosworth%20RS%20500.jpg
be interesting to get measurement & see how it fits within our engine bay, the side mounting tabs are identicle to that on our radiator so could even mount quite easily

p fandango
Sunday 7th March 2010, 10:18
LINK (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UNIVERSAL-RS500-STYLE-INTERCOOLER-FOR-PROJECT-CAR-4X4_W0QQitemZ120538267711QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Car sParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item1c10a4003f) an aftermarket one forsale on ebay, complete with sizes. I'll measure our intercooler later & see how the dimensions compare

leet5r
Sunday 7th March 2010, 10:23
a m8 of mine has 1 on his cossie like and its massive lol , would be good on a vlvo , any 1 got any pics of 1 on there car like

Mental Wealth Doctor
Monday 8th March 2010, 21:26
LINK (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UNIVERSAL-RS500-STYLE-INTERCOOLER-FOR-PROJECT-CAR-4X4_W0QQitemZ120538267711QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Car sParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item1c10a4003f) an aftermarket one forsale on ebay, complete with sizes. I'll measure our intercooler later & see how the dimensions compare

Any news, will it fit?

p fandango
Monday 8th March 2010, 21:56
Any news, will it fit?
i've had the sizes of the standard one sat here & forgot to post them up lol

the core of the standard intercooler is 560mm wide, 410mm high & 30mm wide
the Cossie one is 750mm wide, 400mm high & 45mm wide

as the Volvo intercooler has quite wide brackets mounted on the side to bolt to the radiator i don't think they'll be a problem, height wise the RS500 is smaller. When i have the bonnet off next i'll measure & check the width & see how it looks on the car, might take a bit of guessing as i haven't got the radiator pod to see where they all mount exactly

Mental Wealth Doctor
Monday 8th March 2010, 22:53
Cheers P

leet5r
Sunday 14th March 2010, 09:44
any got a rs500 cooler on there volvo like

Alan M
Sunday 14th March 2010, 10:49
I think Spesh had one mounted in his 70 classic. I may be wqrong though lol.

p fandango
Sunday 14th March 2010, 10:58
Any news, will it fit?
had a measure this morning while i had BT's bonnet off & i think its too wide, the core of the RS500 is 750mm let alone the end caps & mounting brackets. The mounting points for our radiator are about 750mm so not got clearance for the rest of the intercooler

shame because it looked good & got the 76mm inlet/outlet which i'm after

Alan M
Sunday 14th March 2010, 11:06
If the mounting tabs are cut off the RS IC the outside endcap to endcap dims are around 700mm wide in total. They are tapered in from the top to bottom so they are 750mm outside to outside at the top (outlet/inlet) then down to 650mm at the bottom. This was the item I was going to get with a 60mm core untill I managed to get a correct shape 76mm core.

p fandango
Sunday 14th March 2010, 11:11
If the mounting tabs are cut off the RS IC the outside endcap to endcap dims are around 700mm wide in total. They are tapered in from the top to bottom so they are 750mm outside to outside at the top (outlet/inlet) then down to 650mm at the bottom. This was the item I was going to get with a 60mm core untill I managed to get a correct shape 76mm core.
yep, i read the technical drawing wrong lol. Wish work would sort my money out so i can get one on order now

leet5r
Sunday 14th March 2010, 11:14
cheers m8 whats the best way to get rid of the air con as i have got another engine that am goin to rebuild with a big spec.
and woul the 500 cooler fit straight in with the volvo rediator

Alan M
Sunday 14th March 2010, 11:25
Its not a straight fit but can be done over a good 12 hours if you can fabricate new brackets and are comfortable with all the work. You will need to take out the front end though to get it right as it is not the correct shape to begin with. Between me and another member we fitted two 76mm items in our cars over a really long day around 13 hours but I ready made some spacers and brackets and fitted the entire pack from the top keeping the aircon. Mine is very very tight now and I have had to make some new hose joiners for the IACV takeoff as mine has a reverse IC setup.

Alan M
Sunday 14th March 2010, 11:27
Getting rid of the AC will give a little more room but not much.

leet5r
Sunday 14th March 2010, 11:34
Its not a straight fit but can be done over a good 12 hours if you can fabricate new brackets and are comfortable with all the work. You will need to take out the front end though to get it right as it is not the correct shape to begin with. Between me and another member we fitted two 76mm items in our cars over a really long day around 13 hours but I ready made some spacers and brackets and fitted the entire pack from the top keeping the aircon. Mine is very very tight now and I have had to make some new hose joiners for the IACV takeoff as mine has a reverse IC setup.

have you got any pics m8 , av got a fmic from a 200sx that i could make to fit , but like the RIP kip runnig over the engine lol.
a know the 500coolers give good results on the cosworths