PDA

View Full Version : My 1st (hopefully small) problem

LiamT4
Wednesday 3rd March 2010, 21:24
On my way home tonight, and was sat at some traffic lights and i heard a sort of pop/thud, as i had my stereo on i werent sure if it was anything, drove back home fine. On having a quick look round the car, it now seems to be a bit lower (10-15mm) on the left rear side of the car, i didn't hear any knocking when driving so i'm thinking that the rear spring may have snapped, does this sound correct? Its going into a local garage on sat anyway, to have the engine looked over, make sure the pipes, etc are ok. Its a 98 s70 btw.

thebadger
Thursday 4th March 2010, 00:27
Could be a spring, or the shock may have failed.

If the shock is a nivomat, then this would really explain the drop.

LiamT4
Thursday 4th March 2010, 19:50
Cheers. Had a look under the car, can't see much though, most of the suspension is hidden, don't look like like nivomats (from the pics i'v seen). Cars driving ok, but does seem to be rolling a bit more (could be my imagination). Guess i'll find out sat.

thebadger
Thursday 4th March 2010, 19:57
If you feel brave, you could jack it up a small amount & look at the spring (from behind under the bumper) to see if it's looking loose (this would be snapped) and if you have a hydraulic jack, drop it fast & see how the shock reacts...

Worth a shot, as you can then let the mechanic know what he may need to have for you!

LiamT4
Saturday 6th March 2010, 22:25
Must have been all in my imagination. Went into the garage today to have a check up and everythings fine, apart from the shock bush needs replacing at the next service and the front wishbone bushes are starting to seperate. But annoyingly one of the tyres has a nail in it giving a very slow puncture (but because of the location it propbly needs a new tyre!). The car does sit lower on one side, but on a flat surface less than 10mm, but he didn't know why, said everything was fine, old but fine. He said all seems to be in v good condition, really liked it. So would have been a v cheap day if it weren't for the bloody tyre, especially as they have loads of tread on them, guess it means a new tyre next week.