PDA

View Full Version : Custom downpipe

Rnash2002
Wednesday 3rd March 2010, 15:34
Ok as some know im changing my turbo and have to change the downpipe,well get the top sorted so it fits the bigger turbo outlet.
After some tears and cuts got the downpipe off and too my shock found this.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/rnash2002/downpipe.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/rnash2002/downpipe1.jpg

Now this was a fully 3" turbo back system from powerflow,was put on the car by the last owner,
Going from the flexi to the flange i would say its about 2" if lucky and would say its probably more restrictive than a standard volvo downpipe lol.
So if your planning to get a custom downpipe and exhaust done make sure you see what there doing before they put it on the car.

p fandango
Wednesday 3rd March 2010, 15:53
Powerflow don't downpipes as they don't have access to get or make the flanges, well the Cov branch doesn't so the bits needed aren't provided thru the franchise

Rnash2002
Wednesday 3rd March 2010, 16:04
Powerflow don't downpipes as they don't have access to get or make the flanges, well the Cov branch doesn't so the bits needed aren't provided thru the franchise

It looks like they have used the origanal flange,was just thinking how hard would it have been to bend the tube to make a proper pipe from the flange,they have all the machines there to do this,even a 2.5" would have been a better improvment.
Glad im gona be getting someone to weld a flange onto this,can get them to sort out the top part,nice free flowing bend me thinks lol.

Alan M
Sunday 7th March 2010, 10:40
It is possible to make a 3" tight bend (by tapering one side) from a straight flange to suit a straight outlet turbo. I made one before going angled on my car.

Rnash2002
Sunday 7th March 2010, 15:39
It is possible to make a 3" tight bend (by tapering one side) from a straight flange to suit a straight outlet turbo. I made one before going angled on my car.

I took this into the powerflow dealer near me and he was saying he couldnt do any better lol,anything is possible but looks like these guys just dont want the hard graph lol.

p fandango
Sunday 7th March 2010, 17:10
I took this into the powerflow dealer near me and he was saying he couldnt do any better lol,anything is possible but looks like these guys just dont want the hard graph lol.
funny you should say that, i've spent quite a bit of money with them over the years & always find them willing to give anything ago. FFM went to the exact same branch i use & they turned him away saying they couldn't do a decat becuase it was so close to the bend on the downpipe, they managed mine with no issues lol

Rnash2002
Sunday 7th March 2010, 18:36
funny you should say that, i've spent quite a bit of money with them over the years & always find them willing to give anything ago. FFM went to the exact same branch i use & they turned him away saying they couldn't do a decat becuase it was so close to the bend on the downpipe, they managed mine with no issues lol
Thats sounds strange.
Well i think im gona keep them going at it untill im happy lol