PDA

View Full Version : 850 t5 top engine mount bush

p0xy
Wednesday 3rd March 2010, 15:19
I have like a rumbling noise up to about 60mph and after that it goes off, had a look today and found my engine mount bush split.. could that be the problem? Also i may as well stick a poly one on, wheres the cheapest and quickest place to get one from???

cheers

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e79/p0xy/ABCD0005.jpg

p0xy
Wednesday 3rd March 2010, 15:51
i was thinking of getting this one.. anyone know if its the right part???
http://www.superflex.co.uk/photopage.php?part_id=1194

p fandango
Wednesday 3rd March 2010, 15:59
the one you've linked to is for the newer P3 cars, you want this one LINK (http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=27&products_id=2288) but they do include noise on idle

tbh from what you've discribed i wouldn't say thats your problem

p0xy
Wednesday 3rd March 2010, 16:01
its just what i saw everythin else seems fine... think itll be a trip to the garage for it 0

p0xy
Wednesday 3rd March 2010, 17:49
unless anyone has a one for sale, which i cant see it lol

Crazy_C
Wednesday 3rd March 2010, 20:34
I just bought one, OEM, from eBay for like £15. Just still trying to work out how to get it in there lol Real bugger to get the stock ones out it seems

Crazy_C
Wednesday 3rd March 2010, 20:37
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLVO-TOP-ENGINE-MOUNTING-MOUNT-BUSH-S70-V70-850_W0QQitemZ270530942416QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Car sParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item3efce695d0

Volvostorm
Wednesday 3rd March 2010, 21:01
I just bought one, OEM, from eBay for like £15. Just still trying to work out how to get it in there lol Real bugger to get the stock ones out it seems

Undo the bolt throught the bush holding the mounting bar, grab rubber with pliers, and rip out the rubber, then cut through the old bush outer with a hacksaw blade.

Can't comment about refitting an OEM bush, as I fitted a poly one.

woking rob
Wednesday 3rd March 2010, 21:14
i had pollys for my old mk2 xr it had full polly bushs 60mm drop 185/50/13 yoko tyres could take my round about at 60 just starting to understeer but it was a ford and all started to fall apart, would of made a wickid track car but the bushes didnt like being used everyday (but saying that it was 25years old)

gareth
Wednesday 3rd March 2010, 21:31
Don't think the op's symptoms stem from a borked top mount. The usual sign is a "thunk" when you let out the clutch/ reverse etc.

Can't comment about refitting an OEM bush, as I fitted a poly one.

For the massive reduction in ball-ache quotient I've always gone with powerflex too.
Never cut out an old one, always used a 150mm length of scaffold pole as a drift to knock it out. Just tap around the outer edge of the old one.
A hand trick when fitting a polyurethane one is to use the top i/c hose jubilee clip, place it about 6mm in from the inner edge of the bushing and compress slightly.
Makes things way easier.

p0xy
Friday 5th March 2010, 18:48
well got the part today and fitted it.. still the same noise, took passenger side wheel off today and i can move my brake disc so gonna have a look at that tomorrow

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e79/p0xy/ABCD0007-2.jpg

Volvostorm
Saturday 6th March 2010, 00:12
Sounds wheel-bearingish mate, I believe they ain't to hard to change :)

p fandango
Saturday 6th March 2010, 04:26
Sounds wheel-bearingish mate, I believe they ain't to hard to change :)
the bearings are special & sure there all part the hub so you just change the lot, i know the bearing itself cost me £100

p0xy
Saturday 6th March 2010, 11:56
aye its all one or somethin :/.... itll have to wait though till i get the money to buy one lol... will it do any more damage using the car?

Shortbusdriver1969
Saturday 6th March 2010, 12:32
I got my polly one from RT Mecs who are on this site, very good too
but A bitch to fit LoL

skirmish998
Sunday 7th March 2010, 12:49
removed old ones with the rip the rubber guts out of the middle technique but then took an old but sharp chisel to the outer edge and split/cracked it in several places and it came out within half hour. getting the Poly in though was a right git. i finally went with the large washers and ruddy long nut and bolt to pull/press the two bits together. Makes a ruddy lovely growl when getting on the power some find it a bit intrusive but i likes it!

p0xy
Sunday 7th March 2010, 20:32
well it took about an hour to fit.. the old one came straight out :D... only problem was, one half went in ok but the other half was a b1tch to get in lol..

Volvostorm
Sunday 7th March 2010, 20:47
removed old ones with the rip the rubber guts out of the middle technique but then took an old but sharp chisel to the outer edge and split/cracked it in several places and it came out within half hour. getting the Poly in though was a right git. i finally went with the large washers and ruddy long nut and bolt to pull/press the two bits together. Makes a ruddy lovely growl when getting on the power some find it a bit intrusive but i likes it!

I found that, I love it, can't wait to change the bulkhead bush, and the gearbox mount for polys

skirmish998
Sunday 7th March 2010, 20:57
one side is a breeze to fit. the hole is tapered on one side to make life a real pain in the ass! hence the large washers and nut/bolt combo. If anyone wants the use of or the site wants them so others can get the benefit and i'll send them on to next person if anyone is interested. we can just post on to the next in line. just an idea!

Volvostorm
Sunday 7th March 2010, 21:01
I trimmed the edges of the poly bush to make a slight taper, it did help when fitting.

p fandango
Sunday 7th March 2010, 21:06
I found that, I love it, can't wait to change the bulkhead bush, and the gearbox mount for polys
i can't get the old tie-rod mount out to change mine, got them sat on the computer desk. Got the bulkhead done with the newer style bracket

Crazy_C
Monday 8th March 2010, 00:26
Why am I thinking I should have bought a poly bush n not an OEM one to fit to my 850, I can see much swearing going on for this one lol

p fandango
Monday 8th March 2010, 06:29
Why am I thinking I should have bought a poly bush n not an OEM one to fit to my 850, I can see much swearing going on for this one lol
some people actually don't like the Polybushes, say they are too noisey & intrusive

JelT5
Monday 8th March 2010, 06:42
some people actually don't like the Polybushes, say they are too noisey & intrusive

Noisy and intrusive is good though IMO...I love that sound!

p fandango
Monday 8th March 2010, 06:47
Noisy and intrusive is good though IMO...I love that sound!
noisy is always good lol

JelT5
Monday 8th March 2010, 06:51
noisy is always good lol

Good man :D

gareth
Monday 8th March 2010, 09:11
Yep I love the more defined sound (That's what the Mrs was told!) Produced by the PowerFlex bushing!
The trick installing these is to compress them slightly with a Jubilee clip when fitting. It makes it waaaay easier to install.

Crazy_C
Tuesday 9th March 2010, 01:12
I don't mind the sound, I mean I love the sound of the engine with the cone filter on there, and I wanna get her decatted too. Just meant being a pain to get the OEM one in, if the poly ones can be a bit of a pain LOL

madhouse
Tuesday 9th March 2010, 21:47
interesting thread, my latest purchase has purple Polybush inserts on the top mount. Had it pointed out to me on another forum after posting a pic of the engine bay. Another point that was raised on 'my' engine bay was it looks to have a fuel pressure regulator added to the fuel rail. Any thoughts or comment guys please?? Heres the pic:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e313/M11REH/Car%20stuff/OdingeT55.jpg

MC_Bob
Wednesday 10th March 2010, 00:01
Sorry for slight hijack. but i want to remove my polybush and go to OEM, is it hard?

Thanks

Crazy_C
Wednesday 10th March 2010, 00:12
I think this thread got hijacked a while back away from the original thread LOL

I dunno, looks to me to be a bit of a pain getting the OEM bush in, but I've not tried yet to be honest. Sure with enough WD40 it'll be alright to get in.

madhouse
Wednesday 10th March 2010, 21:13

In what way is the Polybush noisey please?

p fandango
Wednesday 10th March 2010, 21:18
In what way is the Polybush noisey please?
because the mount is stiffer it transmits more of the engine noise & vibration thru the bulkhead which you notice in the cabin

callyuk
Wednesday 10th March 2010, 21:42
Sorry for slight hijack. but i want to remove my polybush and go to OEM, is it hard?

Thanks

i may well be interested in having it from you if you remove and is in good condition :D

MC_Bob
Wednesday 10th March 2010, 21:51
Looks mint lol!

p0xy
Wednesday 10th March 2010, 23:37
SPAMMERS!!!! lol go for it :D :D