PDA

View Full Version : cold starting not so good

steveo82
Tuesday 2nd March 2010, 15:40
hi all,

The saga countinues- replaced crank position sensor after code reader showed it at fault also had new plugs and no.1 coil replaced, re-insulated coil pack wires coz plastic sheathing no existent, but still cold starting is poor to say the least.

It had cambelt couple of weeks ago but this fault was present beforehand and the timing has been checked and is fine.

anybody had similar problems or know of where to look next? any ideas appreciated :)

princepugh
Tuesday 2nd March 2010, 16:13
Is it taking ages to turn over or mis-firing once running?

steveo82
Wednesday 3rd March 2010, 17:10
Is it taking ages to turn over or mis-firing once running?

hi mate, both! it spins over alot then gets up and running and misfires until its a tad warm.

i insulated the coil pack wires and its had a few new bits also timing belt was done but im sure it aint that. maybe low fuel pressure or dodgy regulator but need to sort it asap as i dont fancy calling RAC out at 05 30 in the morning when i finish nightshift!

cornclose
Wednesday 3rd March 2010, 17:14
Faulty intake air temperature sensor ? Perhaps the car thinks it's warm when it's not and is fueling as such ?

steveo82
Wednesday 3rd March 2010, 17:22
Faulty intake air temperature sensor ? Perhaps the car thinks it's warm when it's not and is fueling as such ?

yeah perhaps, ill need to use diag kit that will display sensor outputs because it hasn't put MIL on at anypoint so far.

are these sensors common problems on T5?

cornclose
Wednesday 3rd March 2010, 17:31
Any generic OBDII software will show you IAT. Not sure if it fails 'warm' or 'cold' though.

princepugh
Thursday 4th March 2010, 11:31
If it's taking ages to turn over, it could be a leaky fuel injector which is relieving the fuel pressure in the rail. Could also cause misfiring until it's operating properly. There's a guy on this forum who can test and clean injectors for a small fee (send away service IIRC). Alternatively if you know which cylinder is the problem you could try a recon injector?

steveo82
Thursday 4th March 2010, 14:00
If it's taking ages to turn over, it could be a leaky fuel injector which is relieving the fuel pressure in the rail. Could also cause misfiring until it's operating properly. There's a guy on this forum who can test and clean injectors for a small fee (send away service IIRC). Alternatively if you know which cylinder is the problem you could try a recon injector?

thanks for that mate i'll try and get it checked soon but that sounds plausible for what its doing. ill probably get them tested and cleaned as they wont have been out ever i expect!

cheers steve