PDA

View Full Version : Post remap boost problem

exfuzzyt5
Tuesday 2nd March 2010, 13:14
Some advice guy's – been following the post on IPD HD Turbo Control Valve (TCV, BCS) as thought it might solve my problem !!!

Now the problem I'm faced with is exactly the same as I had 6 months ago when I had my V70 T5 P2 mapped – subsequently had it mapped back to std due to failure of the throttle body about a week after the remap. Its run fine for 6 months post throttle body replacement and it’s been pulling full boost, no pressure related problems. Its been on the rollers prior to remap and pulled 245 bhp – so its pretty dam close to what it should be.

The reason why it was flashed back to std map was my volvo main dealer wouldn't touch it as it was mapped - so had to do this so Volvo could sync the throttle body – also replaced the MAF with a OEM unit at the same time. So like I mention it’s been running fine for 6 months so thought it was about time to have it remapped again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now took it back last week to have it mapped and its doing exactly the same in relation to its boost pressure - it will boost 1 bar once and hold - then boot it again it will then dump its pressure and then it will only boost 4 psi max - run around for another couple of miles boosting 4psi max - after that it will then boost again 1 bar - and then drop to 4 psi - so it seems to go full circle

I’ve a pressure boost gauge so I can see pretty well whatits doing and where its dumping its boost - it boosting 1 bar which is not excessive pressure - I've got silicon vacuum hoses etc which are pretty new.

Last night I replaced the TCV with a spare one – this does exactly the same - can't rule out that one being knacked though - but again I used it 6 months ago when the problem first occurred post remap- so again that one was fine on the STD map and that was used on the rolling road last week when it pulled 245 bhp

So on the stand map both TCV's are fine and pull full boost - so if the TCV had failed then it wouldn't do that? Its only happens post remap and hence with the increased boost pressure

So do I go back to basics and replace all the hoses again £££££ or could an intercooler hose be collapsing under boost

Also its not logging any fault codes - so the plot thickens

The bottom line is its actually more happy on a std map and when it does work its no where near as fast as my old 850 T5 post remap

One area I noticed last night which might contribute is the MAP sensor on the inlet tube – that’s held on with cable ties as on of the clips is broken off – its pretty solid and the seal seems ok – is there a direct Bosch replacement or is it a Volvo main dealer part – not sure what the other sensor is - could this cause problems - also the wires/connection block is not that great? Anyone got a dead loom with a MAP connector block and 6 inches if wiring loom I could resplice in

Any thought would be greatly appreciated – as I’m p***ed off with it again!!!!

princepugh
Tuesday 2nd March 2010, 13:54
Specifically regarding those two sensors, they are the Intake Air Temperature (IAT) and Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensors - both are plug and play in terms of the harness and both are available from Rufe if you PM him. If the MAP is held on by cable ties it will work, just about, but is far from ideal and is definitely worth replacement now you've noticed it (about £65 from memory).

Question: when you lift off the throttle and lose the 1BAR of boost, can you hear a whooshing noise?

exfuzzyt5
Tuesday 2nd March 2010, 14:33
Specifically regarding those two sensors, they are the Intake Air Temperature (IAT) and Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensors - both are plug and play in terms of the harness and both are available from Rufe if you PM him. If the MAP is held on by cable ties it will work, just about, but is far from ideal and is definitely worth replacement now you've noticed it (about £65 from memory).

Question: when you lift off the throttle and lose the 1BAR of boost, can you hear a whooshing noise?

Will make contact with Rufe - thanks

Re boost - it dumps its pressure under acceleration with foot flat to the floor - if you lift your foot then no whoosing noise or when it dumps its boost when foot is flat to floor there is no noise either - pressume you mean a noise like an external bailey dump valve whoosh ??????

princepugh
Tuesday 2nd March 2010, 15:26
Yes, I'm not up to speed on the the recirc valve but I believe it should bleed/vent the boost pressure back through the intake (after the MAF) thus helping preventing blade stall.

You should get an audible single whoosh when you come out of the throttle from big boost - sounds like you're not getting any whoosh, so to speak, even when you lose all boost.

Could be a clue - any others care to comment?

thebadger
Tuesday 2nd March 2010, 18:12
Yeah, the recirc should give quite an audible (from the cabin) noise.

I'd maybe take off the recirc & examin the diafram. They are known to fail.

I'm with Pugh in saying that the sensors & cable ties are probably doing you no favours.

Have you tried a live reader? My basic code reading kit has a live data system, if you could get someone to drive it & check the data, it may give you clues as to what's at fault.

cornclose
Tuesday 2nd March 2010, 20:57
Nice sig.

thebadger
Tuesday 2nd March 2010, 21:13
Cheers Chris, I have cegC70t to thank! Top 'shopping!

exfuzzyt5
Tuesday 2nd March 2010, 22:45
Yeah, the recirc should give quite an audible (from the cabin) noise.

I'd maybe take off the recirc & examin the diafram. They are known to fail.

I'm with Pugh in saying that the sensors & cable ties are probably doing you no favours.

Have you tried a live reader? My basic code reading kit has a live data system, if you could get someone to drive it & check the data, it may give you clues as to what's at fault.

Yeah defo no audible noise coming from under the hood

Anyway tried a bit of a live reading - well more like plug the reader in immediatley it had dumped its boost anyway got this code out - but can't sus out which one is correct - there seems to be different descriptions for this code on the links here to fault codes - is there a diffinative list for a V70 T5 P2 2000

Code is P1237 and 01/01

One link shows

P1237 Turbocharger (TC) control system flow Fault Flow too low. Permanent/Intermittent Fault

the othe shows

Fuel Pump Secondary Circuit

another shows

Turbo Control Valve

So a little confussed now as to the correct fauilt code description

ps like the sig too

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 2nd March 2010, 23:01
P1237 is the Turbo control valve.

princepugh
Tuesday 2nd March 2010, 23:04
Apparently P1237 is indeed the TCV so one way or another that is suspect.

thebadger
Tuesday 2nd March 2010, 23:24
Well do recall that the TCV controls the actuator on the turbo, so this may be destroying the boost.

Once you've replaced it you should be able to confirm the state of the recirc valve (by sound) though I would personally have a glance at it (just to be sure) as you may need it doing at the same time.

Still, the silicone hoses should help (I assume that you've done the recirc valve hose too) & it should really be plug & play!

I bought brass hose connectors for the fitting of the hoses to my TCV, this way I could use jubilee clips & not need to worry about the potential damage to a plastic pipe. Easy to get off ebay etc & they allow you to use thicker grade hose. (I chose 6mm)

exfuzzyt5
Wednesday 24th March 2010, 21:27
Back again guys - well this is really getting me down now - replaced the BCV with a new one and its still doing it!!! - check the RCV seems ok - so what controls the BCV - ie there must be a sensor that tells the ecu when to open/close that circuit?

I'm going re replace again all hoses on Saturday and remove the IC and check for cracks - looking at Vadis the code P1237 - has 2 permitations - one being the BCV and the other a leak post trubo

The plot thickens!!!!!