PDA

View Full Version : Power steering playing up

Colin850
Monday 1st March 2010, 13:06
I took the car out for a little drive today seeing as the weather is quite nice, but soon noticed the steering wasn't feeling quite right.

It happened as i was coming off a roundabout, the car would turn to the right ok but then when i turned back to left there was no power steering, it almost felt like the steering had locked up.

I pulled over to investigate, and with the engine still running but the car stationary i could turn the wheel left and then right with no problems but if i turned it right then back left the same would happen, no power steering for a couple of seconds and then it would work again.
I stopped the engine and checked the steering fluid which was still at its maximum.

Something similar has happened before, if i hit a bump in the road whilst turning the wheel the power steering would cut out for a second, i just thought it was the car not liking the bumps. But now its started doing this constantly i feel there is a definate problem!

I'm guessing it would either be the pump or the steering rack but is there anyway to work out which one?

Any help will be much appreciated

Thanks
Colin

Murphy
Monday 1st March 2010, 14:21
Check the PAS fluid, it should be nice and pink IIRC!