PDA

View Full Version : Overheating t5 v70

mel 2079
Monday 1st March 2010, 07:50
My friend has a P reg. volvo 2.3 T5....I think its the first of the face lift models as it is different from my classic shape.....during winter for some reason only known to himself he omitted to put anti freeze in and now after about 25 minutes running it over heats.....no oil in the water and no water in the oil...seems to run fine...no misfires or sluggishness...no water loss......apart from locking him up and throwing away the key....any simple checks please or possibiliteis without a major overhaul.

phil_woods
Monday 1st March 2010, 08:13
If he had no antifreeze in it and it froze there is a chance he has knackered the water pump. That's the first thing I would be checking.

dominic street
Monday 1st March 2010, 11:13
i have a 2002 v70 when i brought the car it was overheating turned out to be the water pump thanks to a few guys on vpc that told me it was the water pump a good way to find out is run the engine when it starts to over heat feel the bottom rad pipe and see if it is cold warm or hot ,when checked on my car the top pipe was warm but the bottom pipe was cold even looking at the water pump it looked brand new but on removing the impeller fell of hope it is this and good luck iam sure a few others of vpc will comment and they are a lot wiser than me .....

T5frankie
Monday 1st March 2010, 17:24
It still could be the head gasket if the car is spewing water out the expansion cap this could be the problem, i had one, when i put a different cap on and tightened it really tight the pressure built up and forced the water down and into the oil system instead of out of the expansion tank, showing a creamy substance, car was running sweet as a nut before and after this, so car can run fine with no evidence of the the head gasket gone, as long as the pressure comes out the top, i just had to keep topping up with water.