PDA

View Full Version : Grill respray

thebadger
Monday 1st March 2010, 00:35
Well it's past midnight & I've just brought the grill in to dry in the heat!

My paint (as some may recall from Januarys meet at Falkirk) was flaking & looked a touch scabby. Also as the paint was flaking & glue on top of paint is a bad combo, my customed "volvo slash kept falling off. :(

about 22.30 Sunday I ran a wire brush over it, masked it & brushed & primered it, shortly followed by a coat of satin black.

I'm not giving it several coats as its a grill & fate will chuck stones at it on a daily basis, so why bother! I'll need the paint to re-do it again in six months time!

Piccy....

v70torslanda
Monday 1st March 2010, 08:35
I'd do that!

The only grill I've seen that would look good on a V70 IMHO.

You must tell me how you did the badge thoughbut.

luv'n'stuff

J

richiemat
Monday 1st March 2010, 09:19
yeah i like that. does it really get that chipped?

show us it fitted :)

thebadger
Monday 1st March 2010, 21:35
The grill had suffered from what looks like no primer & a bad case of layered flaking of the paint.

I looked out the piccy from the meet last month.... I have attempted to blow it up...

The paint had came off in one long strip down the left side, which looked really odd.

My main issue was that the slash was taking paint off & not holding to the grill!

The slash has been a sore issue! The way to make it work is to remove the original slash from the OEM grill & then try VERY hard to keep the retaining pins, trim about 1cm off both top & bottom of the slash (some tape or a scribe to mark it & a sharp hacksaw to cut, or band saw if you have one) The best advice is that the pins at the tip of each end of the slash should still be there (for the right size).

I put a moose on it!

thebadger
Sunday 7th March 2010, 18:30
Took some pictures today after I'd washed the car, so here it is....

Enjoy!