PDA

View Full Version : Bang goes the engine

whitehorse
Saturday 27th February 2010, 20:43
Hello all,

First post, so here goes. Thundering down the A3 with 3 kids in the back, oil pressure warning light comes on telling me to pull in and switch off where safe, managed to do so and switch off. Plenty of oil and no signs of harm. restart and all is well 3 mins same again. Hmm, sat at the side of a fast road with 3 kids or try to make the next exit a mile away. Off I go, same again but I'm off the A3 pull in and jump out, engine making a right racket..bugger.

Any one know of a good mechanic or garage in the walton on Thames/Esher area? The AA have recovered us home but I need someone to take a look and fix. AA thinks its the camshafts making the noise.

All help welcome.

v70torslanda
Saturday 27th February 2010, 21:07
That's bad luck my friend. Sadly I can't recommend anyone in your area but if I were you I would be holding on to something solid when the garage gives the estimate.

Unless you have a few grand to spare I think you will be looking at a salvage engine.

ReadView on here and Salvo in Nottingham would be my choice to supply an engine.

Check the traders section on here for people who know Volvos in your area.

Best of luck

J

HammyUK
Sunday 28th February 2010, 11:27
Try Cambridge a bit further down the A3 at Petersfield - the best independant around here by far.

Porcine_Aviator
Sunday 28th February 2010, 13:06
:welcome:
Sorry to hear about the problem.
Looks like a new lump could be the best bet. But wait and see what the garage says first as it's hard to say what has gone wrong without looking under the bonnet.

All the best, I hope it's not to expensive.

whitehorse
Sunday 28th February 2010, 21:36
Thanks all...lol

Any more advice?

v70torslanda
Sunday 28th February 2010, 22:22
Without wishing to sound condescending.

Next time you're driving and the oil pressure light comes on, if there's plenty of oil on the stick, DON'T CONTINUE DRIVING!

t5_monkey
Sunday 28th February 2010, 22:36
Sorry to hear about your engine woes - hope it gets fixed cheaply

whitehorse
Wednesday 3rd March 2010, 12:57
No 3 bearing had failed on the crank...

cornclose
Wednesday 3rd March 2010, 12:59
How much then ?

thebadger
Wednesday 3rd March 2010, 18:01
It will cost......

One of these....
http://goodbadandugly2.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/arm.jpg

And of course, one of them too!
http://www.bioped.com/conditions/images/content/legPain.jpg

cookie
Thursday 4th March 2010, 15:48
Probably replacing engine with decent 2nd hand will be cheapest option, depending on getting someone to fit it, if you have a friend/family member who doesn't live at yours who is in RAC then getting it any where aint a problem, Do a search across Volvodom and you will probably find a best cost effective solution, there are some decent mechanics around, but it often pays to travel.

MacXC60T5
Thursday 4th March 2010, 16:32
How much then ?

Like you I hate being kept in suspenders, Read the post, taken in the content and now waiting for the outcome, a little bit of coitus intereuptus I am affraid.
OK I know an arm and a leg but how much ? OK I know you don't have to tell us but stop the tease. Some of us want to wallow in your misery it may take our minds off our own.

whitehorse
Sunday 7th March 2010, 22:00
£2000..'''eek'''

thebadger
Sunday 7th March 2010, 22:09
Holy broken engines Batman!

They are having a Girraffe!

Hit ebay asap & look up T5 engines, they come up quite regularly & cheaper than that!

If you get a goodun' then getting a local indy to swap it out should cost you less than a couple of hundred, but probably £500-£800 for an engine in good nick.

All told about £1k at a push.

thebadger
Sunday 7th March 2010, 22:18
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m38.l1311&_nkw=volvo+t5+engine&_sacat=See-All-Categories

gareth
Monday 8th March 2010, 08:54
Honestly don't bother repairing the engine!
Mine's had a big end knock for >3k miles!
Cheapest option is a good nick "long bare" engine i.e. one with no ancilliaries/turbo etc.
You'd pick up a good one from either Nads on here or Matt in Salvo.
That's what I'll be doing and getting it fitted local to me. Worked out the costs and it's the cheapest method.

IIRC a good tested guaranteed long bare from Salvo is around £350 plus delivery.
Replacement shoud cost around £500. Worst case. That's what I was quoted( well €600) and that includes new ATF etc for mine.

whitehorse
Tuesday 9th March 2010, 10:42
I'm having the whole thing done, the works. It'll come out of the workshop like new with 12 months warranty too. We looked around for a good engine, it was going to be £800 at least unless I got another 150k one. This way I know I should be trouble free for a good few years, the rest of the car is very clean. PS I am in surrey!

Liddo
Tuesday 9th March 2010, 11:25
I'm having the whole thing done, the works. It'll come out of the workshop like new with 12 months warranty too. We looked around for a good engine, it was going to be £800 at least unless I got another 150k one. This way I know I should be trouble free for a good few years, the rest of the car is very clean. PS I am in surrey!

So, has it cost you 2K??? :eek:

whitehorse
Tuesday 9th March 2010, 19:07
Yep!

Mck1
Tuesday 9th March 2010, 19:16
Hello all,

First post, so here goes. Thundering down the A3 with 3 kids in the back, oil pressure warning light comes on telling me to pull in and switch off where safe, managed to do so and switch off. Plenty of oil and no signs of harm. restart and all is well 3 mins same again. Hmm, sat at the side of a fast road with 3 kids or try to make the next exit a mile away. Off I go, same again but I'm off the A3 pull in and jump out, engine making a right racket..bugger.

Any one know of a good mechanic or garage in the walton on Thames/Esher area? The AA have recovered us home but I need someone to take a look and fix. AA thinks its the camshafts making the noise.

All help welcome.

I maybe to late but I've always used:

The Total Garage, 73 Molesey Road, Walton On Thames, KT12 3PW
01932 229022

Best of luck!

LeeT5
Tuesday 6th April 2010, 00:41
Whitehorse, you did well for 2K mate. I know for a fact that T5 engines in particular are hard to come by and when they do, there gone again! Everyone wants one, LOL. If it's a 2.0 or a 2.5 then your ok. I believe new from the dealer they are about £3500 - £4000 for a complete T5 lump, minus the bolt ons.