PDA

View Full Version : Caliper paint

willi
Saturday 27th February 2010, 14:38
Hi Guys.
Could anyone tell me if ordinary Hammerite smooth is ok for brake calipers please??
I keep hearing conflicting stories to whether its ok or not because of the temperature range.

Thanx

yorkshire R
Saturday 27th February 2010, 14:43
i used heat resistant paint,was about £7 and have had it on my calipers a year and still looks good

volvokid
Saturday 27th February 2010, 14:52
I've used it before and it didnt last the paint dulled down. I get my paint from halfords thats good stuff. I bought a pot of caliper paint from a local car shop last week it cost £18 and it was like water and had black dust in it waste of money.

Tomcat
Saturday 27th February 2010, 17:48
Any metal paint will do for calipers, they don't get hot enough to warrant heat resistant stuff, just make sure you clean them up properly before applying it.

t5 stealth
Saturday 27th February 2010, 17:52
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/E-Tech-Brake-Caliper-Paint-Blue_W0QQitemZ400089775308QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Ca rsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item5d27357ccc

its cheap enough & lasts.........

t5 pete
Saturday 27th February 2010, 17:52
ive used hammerite and been on for a couple of years now with no probs

willi
Saturday 27th February 2010, 19:11
lol....even now there's still confliction. I only want to do this the once because each caliper will be removed and have new seals etc, so i suppose its down to me in the end.

I think i'm tempted towards the high temp paint even though i have a can of smooth Hammerite.

Thanks guys

Flatout Phil
Saturday 27th February 2010, 22:48
lol....even now there's still confliction. I only want to do this the once because each caliper will be removed and have new seals etc, so i suppose its down to me in the end.

I think i'm tempted towards the high temp paint even though i have a can of smooth Hammerite.

Thanks guys

Although the colour range is limited Halfords calliper paint seems just fine and very cheap really (you won't need a lot, but will need several coats) - although to be honest, brake dust cacks the paint up after a few weeks so it is just another part to wash. The silvery anodised finish on Volvo replacement callipers seems to last incredibly well.

willi
Sunday 28th February 2010, 09:07
I have a Halfords near me so i will have a looksee..
I agree with the recon calipers, the anodising lasted for years.

Thanks