PDA

View Full Version : RICA Tuning and mileage

Spee
Saturday 27th February 2010, 11:20
Guys,

I'm not new to these things, but I am new to Diesel tuning, so, I'd like to get the car Rica tuned as it seems to get endless praise, however, has anyone had problems? My S60 D5 SE has 106k, but seems to be in very good health, is the Rica tuning likely to decrease the longevity of my engine/turbo? I'm told you can expect to see an extra 2-5 MPG as well, which is academic really, because with the extra power, the right foot is bound to get heavier!

Anyway, the plan is, new uprated discs for the front, the standard braking system seems superb so I'm not tempted to change anything other than fresh front discs with slots to aid cooling, reduce fade.

RICA chip.

Then probably new shocks, I'm not interested in lowering as it's low enough and I know they don't take it too well, I haven't done much research on the shocks yet but I'm open to suggestion. I want a compliant ride with a little more control under acceleration and flatter cornering, still researching this.

Anyway, I digress, my initial concern was mileage and RICA tuning, anybody have any input on this?

Cheers

Gareth

t5_monkey
Saturday 27th February 2010, 13:56
The consensus seems to be (I've asked loads of people the same questions when i was looking into modding my T5) that if properly maintained a tune shouldn't affect the longevity of the car, as long as your talking about the standard stuff and not custom tunes, big turbos etc...

In terms of the cornering - not sure about the S60, but i prefer the ride on my shorter springs.

A rear IPD rollbar and front strut brace is probably a good place to start to improve handling without compromising ride. In terms of bang per buck handing wise it has to be the IPD rollbar - I felt an immediate difference even though I was already on sports suspension, apparently the difference is even bigger in the S60/V70.

swedespeed.com has quite a few strings on the rollbars etc...

thebadger
Saturday 27th February 2010, 14:02
I fitted Koni FSDs to my V70 (2001) which makes it a whole different drive from standard!

As far as the strut brace talk goes, you can mod the top engine bar to double as one by adding washers to the bushes on the ends.

Lowering the car really eliminates the body roll you get in the heavy machines.

Spee
Saturday 27th February 2010, 16:18
Cheers guys, the problem I see lowering the S60 is the 17" rims are already a snug fit as it is, lowering could lead to issues I'd have thought. The ARBs sound like a good start to me, I'll look them up.

Cheers

Gareth