PDA

View Full Version : DAB Radio & Our Volvo's

MacXC60T5
Friday 26th February 2010, 21:08
Did you know that in the Midlands Area in 2011 we change to DAB. In Europe they have now adopted DAB 2. Existing DAB radios will not pick up DAB2. On top of that our existing car radios will not pick up DAB. Can somebody with more ICE knoweldge than me please tell me I am talking a load of 80110cks and have got it wrong. I have a horrible feeling that I am not far from the truth. So the replacement radio HU850 i have just had fitted will be useless after 2011 other than playing CD's. I know the TV will be up the shoot but i never watch it anyway. I assume all new Volvo's are fitted with Dab radios and will receive Digital TV.
A quick edit.
After 2011 will FM Radio go and be replaced or will FM be retained. I have been informed that there is a big debate going on wether or not the change over is taking place in 2011, Anybody out there got any more info.

crespo
Friday 26th February 2010, 23:46
As far as i know the digital crossover only applies to television and not radio. Most of today's new cars still do not have DAB installed. I think we are still some way off needing to upgrade to DAB in our cars and by that time there will be an adapter widely available. There probably already is.
No need to panic just yet.

thebadger
Saturday 27th February 2010, 00:00
Yeah, if they do switch it off you could use a mini FM transmitter like you get for Ipods & a mini DAB reciever to select the channels.

Fit a DAB DigitalTV unit in the boot like I did! I'm covered whatever happens!

crespo
Saturday 27th February 2010, 00:09
Or you could get one of these. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PURE-HIGHWAY-IN-CAR-DAB-RADIO-FM-TRANSMITTER-FOR-IPOD_W0QQitemZ290404818365QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Au dioVisualElectronics_PortableAudio_Radios?hash=ite m439d79ddbd
and hardwire it if your not keen on the cigar lighter charging.

thebadger
Saturday 27th February 2010, 00:12
I have a double din pioneer number with the TV linked in, DVD, bluetooth, ipod hook up & reversing camera too!

The TV unit cost £20 on ebay & works a treat! I get sky news on my way into work, but I hate Eamonn Holmes so I play music I watch the ticker at lights!

MacXC60T5
Saturday 27th February 2010, 10:20
Did a bit of research, suppose I should have done before I posted. It would appear that somebody in Browns lot has dropped a 8011ock. Massive problems with DAB, looks like FM will be still with us untill 2016 +++++. Europe will be using DAB+. Big problems with stabalised signals in vehicles and a lot of areas in the UK just can,t receive DAB. So in conclusion I have discovered that no date is fixed and it is still open to debate. Typical Government stealth tax to get us to all buy new radios.

LeeT5
Tuesday 6th April 2010, 01:41
As far as i know the digital crossover only applies to television and not radio. Most of today's new cars still do not have DAB installed. I think we are still some way off needing to upgrade to DAB in our cars and by that time there will be an adapter widely available. There probably already is.
No need to panic just yet.

I heard a debate about this very topic on Radio 2 a few weeks ago and from what Jeremy Vine was saying, it does include Radio, not just TV.
The switching off starts in late 2012 too. Whether it actually happens or not is anyone's guess.