PDA

View Full Version : Lambda Light Missing

TenaciousC
Thursday 25th February 2010, 18:11
Hi All,

Just noticed that I have never seen my Lambda (ECU) light before. You may say that is a good thing, but I do not see it come on with all the other lights just before you start the engine.....

As I have mentioned before, the past owner (or his favoured mechanic) was a "bad man" and I have discovered various "kludges" on the car rather then proper fixes.

So I worry that this lamp has been disconnected to hide some fault with the car.

Firstly, can someone confirm that the light should come on with all the others?

Secondly, if you were a scoundrel, how would you go about disabling the light? This I would like to reverse.

Cheers

Chris

p fandango
Thursday 25th February 2010, 18:19
i'm afraid Chris yes the light should come on with all the others when the ignition is first turned on, i bet he's simply took the bulb out

stephenevans99
Thursday 25th February 2010, 18:19
IIRC the amber Lambda light should light up as you turn the ignition on and then go off as you start the engine. Sounds to me like either the bulb has blown or more than likely - been removed.

TenaciousC
Thursday 25th February 2010, 18:32
IIRC the amber Lambda light should light up as you turn the ignition on and then go off as you start the engine. Sounds to me like either the bulb has blown or more than likely - been removed.

OK either way I'll need to get to bulb. Is this straightforward?

Cheers

C

TenaciousC
Thursday 25th February 2010, 19:16
Ah I've found this thread. http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1899

So I need to take Facia top off then. That's in the Haynes manual. I'll do that and see what I find.

Cheers

C

TenaciousC
Monday 8th March 2010, 21:41
So now I have extinguished my SRS light after taking the dashboard apart I can tell you what I found. Yes! No bulb in the Lambda socket. Replaced bulb, and the light did not come on.... at least it went a week before coming on....
Got back from a drive yesterday. Parked the car, then 5 minutes later had to move it again, and on that start the Lambda light came on.

This evening I constructed a home made LED flasher and read and cleared the codes:

2-3-2 - Long term fuel mixture too rich OR too weak at Idle
4-1-4 - Boost pressure too high

I find it strange that the light didn't immediately come on after replacing the bulb last week. The boost pressure has always been higher than normal and nothing has changed as per the idle. The battery wasn't disconnected long enough to clear anything... so that's a mystery.

I guess the Lambda bulb will come back on at some point, so I'll be back!

Cheers

C