PDA

View Full Version : 01 T5 misfire when cold

steveo82
Tuesday 23rd February 2010, 20:46
hi all,
looking for some advice, i have a 2001my v70 T5 which when cold(stonecold!) has a misfire. checked on code reader and it said cylinder 1 misfire. got new plugs and a coil for number 1 so will report back soon, but has anyone had similar problems that werent either coils or plugs?

any ideas appreciated :)

t5 stealth
Tuesday 23rd February 2010, 21:02
at a guess id say coil....
if you try puting the faulty number 1 coil onto number 2 cylinder then try it,then read the fault codes & see if the fault has moved to number 2....then you know its definatly a faulty coil.
im assuming you not losing water etc

steveo82
Tuesday 23rd February 2010, 21:27
at a guess id say coil....
if you try puting the faulty number 1 coil onto number 2 cylinder then try it,then read the fault codes & see if the fault has moved to number 2....then you know its definatly a faulty coil.
im assuming you not losing water etc

hi mate, good plan didn't dawn on me to do that, will try it before fitting new coil! no water loss at all expansion tank up to max so no issues there

is that a bad sign if im getting these two faults together?

t5 stealth
Tuesday 23rd February 2010, 21:31
just checkin incase it was a bigger issue.....ie head gasket etc..
but i think it will probly b a coil prob....check it to see if the fault moves to a difrent cylinder & you will know its coil.......

cookie
Wednesday 24th February 2010, 11:07
would almost put money on it being coil pack, check with Simon (Rufe) B4 paying silly money, as many motor factors want silly money for cheap copies

Beru, or Bosch (gen Volvo) are known to work,

Beru about 40 quid delivered, Genuine Just under 50 quid delivered.

I had one go down, and have the BSR PPC code reader, which said which coil pack was faulty, and swapped positions and watched code move with it.

t5 stealth
Wednesday 24th February 2010, 18:30
would almost put money on it being coil pack, check with Simon (Rufe) B4 paying silly money, as many motor factors want silly money for cheap copies

I had one go down, and have the BSR PPC code reader, which said which coil pack was faulty, and swapped positions and watched code move with it.

yep id guess the coil aswell.
some manufacturers recomend you change them all at the same time as changing one loads up the others & causes them to fail a few weeks later,
1st u change 1,then 3 weeks later u change another then a few weeks later & so on & so on.seen it before many times with other makes of car aswell.
you try to explain but people dont wana spend so much money in one big hit...which is understandable....just be thankfull you dont have a renault.

steveo82
Wednesday 24th February 2010, 20:27
some manufacturers recomend you change them all at the same time as changing one loads up the others & causes them to fail a few weeks later,
1st u change 1,then 3 weeks later u change another then a few weeks later & so on & so on.seen it before many times with other makes of car aswell.
you try to explain but people dont wana spend so much money in one big hit...which is understandable....just be thankfull you dont have a renault.

ha ha! yeah renaults were really bad werent they, a mate of mine whose a AA patrolman used to keep at least 2 on the van coz he knew he would use them!

thanks for your help mate

steveo82
Wednesday 24th February 2010, 20:31

thanks mate for your help, im getting it checked tommorow i'm sure your right :)

princepugh
Wednesday 24th February 2010, 21:44
The first winter I had with my P2 2001 V70 T5 it developed a horrible misfire from stone cold. Replacing the knackered plugs made a big difference but didn't cure things completely. To sort it for good I had to insulate the wires from the loom to the coil pack connectors and spray over with ignition sealer. All I can think is that as the original sheathing had cracked and broken up, the cold and damp was permeating the wires, which are fairly feeble IMO.

JelT5
Thursday 25th February 2010, 05:45
I've been getting a similar thing with my P1 98 T5 this winter, new plugs and dizzy cap etc fitted. I always let the car warm up for at least 10-15 mins before giving it any wellie too.

Seems to be very sensitive to cold and damp conditions nowadays.

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 25th February 2010, 09:11
I think that even the cars are getting sick of this long, cold, relentless winter weather. I know I am.

abdul
Thursday 25th February 2010, 09:29
change plugs leads should do the trick

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 25th February 2010, 09:45
Yes abdul - if it had any

abdul
Thursday 25th February 2010, 09:50
Yes abdul - if it had any

oops sorry got it wrong

cookie
Thursday 25th February 2010, 09:57

I have 1 new, and 4 11 year old 140k ones, and car runs fine, I have a full spare set of decent 2nd hand as spares, as they give no warning when they go, and are a sub 5 min repair, code reader is kept in glove box, and I have a couple in spare coil packs, and various other parts in spare wheel.

steveo82
Thursday 25th February 2010, 17:13
The first winter I had with my P2 2001 V70 T5 it developed a horrible misfire from stone cold. Replacing the knackered plugs made a big difference but didn't cure things completely. To sort it for good I had to insulate the wires from the loom to the coil pack connectors and spray over with ignition sealer. All I can think is that as the original sheathing had cracked and broken up, the cold and damp was permeating the wires, which are fairly feeble IMO.

hi mate thanks for the advice, what did u insulate them with just off the shelf stuff or summit abit more fancy? cheers steve

princepugh
Thursday 25th February 2010, 20:51
I actually used bog standard insulation tape and kept an eye on it for a short while to make sure it was coping with the heat, which it was and still is.

The plastic ribbed sheathing had literally disintegrated leaving the (normally insulated) thin wires exposed.

steveo82
Thursday 25th February 2010, 21:03
I actually used bog standard insulation tape and kept an eye on it for a short while to make sure it was coping with the heat, which it was and still is.

The plastic ribbed sheathing had literally disintegrated leaving the (normally insulated) thin wires exposed.

nice one fella got a roll of that in the garage somewhere!

cheers steve