PDA

View Full Version : S60, weird logic

p fandango
Monday 22nd February 2010, 19:15
been looking for another S60 D5 for my old man & came across what i thought was a weird thing to do, alot of them are the lower S spec but loads spent on extras. Tomorrow for example he's looking at a S spec thats got full leather, winter pack, 17 Teyrth (?) alloys & even satnav. Now i know the S is £2k cheaper than the SE, but then buying the same wheels & leather must make it about the same sort of price

LiamT4
Monday 22nd February 2010, 20:29
I noticed this when i was looking at s60 t5s. Saw a couple of T5 S that seemed to have almost all of the kit on them!? :confused:

JIM C
Tuesday 23rd February 2010, 12:24
My old S60 D5 S had full leather and Sat Nav. I was looking for an SE at the time but this was a great spec car for less money. I fitted fogs and 17" wheels to it.

p fandango
Tuesday 23rd February 2010, 15:55
My old S60 D5 S had full leather and Sat Nav. I was looking for an SE at the time but this was a great spec car for less money. I fitted fogs and 17" wheels to it.
so from the outside you couldn't tell it from an SE anyway after. Theirs not actually much difference inside either, plastic trim instead of the main thing but everything else is minor like lack of driver illuminating vanity mirror & boot bag holder

JIM C
Tuesday 23rd February 2010, 18:28
I also replaced the door cappings that were black plastic with the wood ones as well. When sold the dealer described it as SE spec.

p fandango
Wednesday 24th February 2010, 18:36
went & had a look at it today & it actually was an SE, so some of the cars were recorded on the log book wrongly

crespo
Wednesday 24th February 2010, 19:29
went & had a look at it today & it actually was an SE, so some of the cars were recorded on the log book wrongly

I wish mine was.:doh: All ive got is half leather. No climate autodim mirror or trip. I can live without the wood trim, full leather and drivers vanity mirror to be honest, wouldnt mind climate, trip and the fancy mirror though.

p fandango
Wednesday 24th February 2010, 19:33
I wish mine was.:doh: All ive got is half leather. No climate autodim mirror or trip. I can live without the wood trim, full leather and drivers vanity mirror to be honest, wouldnt mind climate, trip and the fancy mirror though.
this one was very well kitted out, pop-up satnav, electric folding mirrors, electric rear child locks infact i think it was only missing the phone. For £2995 you wouldn't want any more gadget, shame it was just a bit to tatty & had quite alot of bad paint work done on it

crespo
Wednesday 24th February 2010, 22:16
this one was very well kitted out, pop-up satnav, electric folding mirrors, electric rear child locks infact i think it was only missing the phone. For £2995 you wouldn't want any more gadget, shame it was just a bit to tatty & had quite alot of bad paint work done on it

These cars are fast becoming a bit of a bargain. I only paid £2000 for mine. Its a 51 2.4 T S with 90k on the clock. Although it had a new engine at 40k because the radiator died causing the engine to self distruct. I think the new tax regs have forced the prices down quite a bit as all the petrol engined S60's get a bit of a hiding by The tax man. But if you can afford the tax and fuel bills you get a lot of car for Mondeo money.
The diesels do hold there value well though.

p fandango
Thursday 25th February 2010, 06:14
These cars are fast becoming a bit of a bargain. I only paid £2000 for mine. Its a 51 2.4 T S with 90k on the clock. Although it had a new engine at 40k because the radiator died causing the engine to self distruct. I think the new tax regs have forced the prices down quite a bit as all the petrol engined S60's get a bit of a hiding by The tax man. But if you can afford the tax and fuel bills you get a lot of car for Mondeo money.
The diesels do hold there value well though.
its D5's were looking at mate, i picked mine up for £2550 & impressed my old man even that he's after one now lol

when i was after a new car i did actually look at Mondeo's & Laguna's but they just didn't have the comfort feel i was after so thought i'd see what the S60's were like, he's thinking of an S40 diesel but i keep telling him there not in the same league as the S60

Jaseb77
Thursday 25th February 2010, 09:09
lots of S60 were registered as an "S" ,
some SE were "mistakenly put on the v5 as an "S" too

This was for company car tax reasons kept the base price less than 20K I think which meant lot less in Company car tax.

Then some were load with extras, which didnt increase their tax liability

straight5
Thursday 25th February 2010, 09:26
My T5 is listed as an S, but I have the wood trim, fog lights, lit driver's vanity mirror, full leather, autodim mirror etc. havent got Sat Nav or heated seats. Does this make mine an S with extras or a misdescribed SE?

Also on cheapness , do I win the prize? paid £1980 in December 08 with 140k on the clock, but loads of new stuff like tyres, brake pads, battery, recent cambelt etc. plus came with a private S60*** numberplate.

Jaseb77
Thursday 25th February 2010, 09:46
My T5 is listed as an S, but I have the wood trim, fog lights, lit driver's vanity mirror, full leather, autodim mirror etc. havent got Sat Nav or heated seats. Does this make mine an S with extras or a misdescribed SE?

Also on cheapness , do I win the prize? paid £1980 in December 08 with 140k on the clock, but loads of new stuff like tyres, brake pads, battery, recent cambelt etc. plus came with a private S60*** numberplate.

you got prologic stereo , and leccy drivers Seat ??

crespo
Thursday 25th February 2010, 11:46
its D5's were looking at mate, i picked mine up for £2550 & impressed my old man even that he's after one now lol

when i was after a new car i did actually look at Mondeo's & Laguna's but they just didn't have the comfort feel i was after so thought i'd see what the S60's were like, he's thinking of an S40 diesel but i keep telling him there not in the same league as the S60

I actually sold my 03 Mondeo TDCI to get this. It was a cracking car and hard to fault but just soooooooo boring.
The volvo costs me a fortune to run compared to the Mondeo but its just so much nicer to look at (i never thought i would hear myself say that) and better equipped than the ford.
I also concidered a laguna for a while but the reliability and nasty interior put me off. Plenty of gadgets though like keyless entry, I just couldnt trust it not to bite my hand one day like my old Alfa 156.

straight5
Thursday 25th February 2010, 12:41
you got prologic stereo , and leccy drivers Seat ??

Ive got pro logic, but not electric seats.

Jaseb77
Thursday 25th February 2010, 14:27
probably an SE, then wrong on V5

leccy seat was in SE pack 2003 onwards

p fandango
Thursday 25th February 2010, 15:25
SE has the shopping bag holder that folds up from the boot floor which the S doesn't

straight5
Thursday 25th February 2010, 15:51
SE has the shopping bag holder that folds up from the boot floor which the S doesn't

woo hoo ....Ive got the bag holder. Start the party. I better change my signature.

I wonder if the spaceball gearlever was part of SE spec? Seen loads of manual cars that dont have it. Spaceball much better than having your gearknob looking like it has a scrotum. haha.

p fandango
Thursday 25th February 2010, 16:29
I wonder if the spaceball gearlever was part of SE spec? Seen loads of manual cars that dont have it. Spaceball much better than having your gearknob looking like it has a scrotum. haha.
the spaceball was standard on the T-5 SE, £75 option on the others

mikest5
Saturday 27th February 2010, 15:04
I got a 2001 S60 T5, I think its an SE Geartronic, and its got every gadget known to mankind, including TV that pops up out the dash, leccy drivers seat, telephone at side of radio, full leather, sat nav, climate, and all sorts of other bits.. just done 38000 miles, but Jersey is a small place...
Only cost me £4 2 years ago, and just about to order some new wheels, looking at some 19" PEGASUS that are the R wheeels, just hoping they will fit...
Only problem I have had so far is the useless HU803 swallowing my cd's and refusing to give them back, but apart from that its the dogs... apart from servicing costs here as well...
will hopefully get some pics when the wheels turn up and all the remedial work from the service is done..(front bushes, top mount, rear drop links, timing belt and water pump and rear brakes!!)

p fandango
Saturday 27th February 2010, 17:43
i'm sure Tomcat had 19's on his old S60. S60R's only came with 18's, or 17's as a no cost option

make sure you post up some pics once you''ve got it done mate