PDA

View Full Version : Dead dump valve

thebadger
Monday 22nd February 2010, 15:24
Ok, so I'm driving on the M8 about 2 weeks ago, the car was driving well, then I noticed that as I was getting boost, there was a slight noise of air hissing (even under acceleration).

Long & short of this was that the DV36 was bleeding boost like a sive & loosing me acceleration to boot.

So since last weekend I've had a plug in the hose & a soundtrack of reverse turbo chatter.

My options for replacing were straight forward.

1. Buy a new DV36 (£80ish)
2. Buy a new DV26 (£65ish)
3. Buy a new Forge twin piston DV (£50)
4. Buy a new unknown Mf'd twin piston DV (£35ish)
5. Buy the new Forge recirc DV (£128)

I've opted for the recirc DV as the current fuel economy I'm getting is very dissapointing & I'm not too fussed about the BOV noise.

Bought the "valve" today, so I'll keep you all posted when I fit it this coming weekend!

P.s. As Forge have an issue displaying the recirc valve properly (they dont show if you search Volvo or TD04) here is the link to the valve!

LINKY (http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/content.asp?inc=product&cat=&product=FMMIEREC)

HTH

Badger

t5_monkey
Monday 22nd February 2010, 16:13
Did you go for the forge? they're supposed to be good

t5 pete
Monday 22nd February 2010, 16:57
ive got the forge one and its brilliant never had a problem with it

thebadger
Monday 22nd February 2010, 20:43
I've opted for the recirc DV as the current fuel economy I'm getting is very dissapointing & I'm not too fussed about the BOV noise.

Bought the "valve" today, so I'll keep you all posted when I fit it this coming weekend!

P.s. As Forge have an issue displaying the recirc valve properly (they dont show if you search Volvo or TD04) here is the link to the valve!

LINKY (http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/content.asp?inc=product&cat=&product=FMMIEREC)

HTH

Badger

Yep, Forge replacement for the recirc was choice.

Went to B&poo & bought a ratchet 10mm spanner (I heard this is the weapon of choice) & I'll halfrauds for some liquid gasket to seal it into place.

I'll uprate my vac line too when I fit it with my 6mm blue hose & use some hose clamps too.

If anyone wants piccys of the bits & fitting, let me know!

t5_monkey
Monday 22nd February 2010, 21:09
Yep, Forge replacement for the recirc was choice.

Went to B&poo & bought a ratchet 10mm spanner (I heard this is the weapon of choice) & I'll halfrauds for some liquid gasket to seal it into place.

I'll uprate my vac line too when I fit it with my 6mm blue hose & use some hose clamps too.

If anyone wants piccys of the bits & fitting, let me know!

let me know if the 'sound' is better off the Forge Recirc than stock - might treat myself to one if you get more blow and chatter.

thebadger
Thursday 25th February 2010, 00:08
Ok, so the replacement valve arrived today!

The fitting was a touch of a pain to say the least!

In the end I needed to remove the air intake hose to get at all the bolts!

The 10mm ratchet spanner was an awesome bit of kit!

I used the alen bolts supplied to refit as the 10mil bolts were too short & one that I did try & fit almost stripped the thread on the turbo! (nearly shat at that one!)

I'll report on the actual performance once the snow clears!

My impression so far is very good, but I'm holding out for a nice day to give her some beans!

I've fitted the yellow spring (15-23psi) which should suit my current boost.

HADI
Friday 26th February 2010, 19:27
i was thinking of fitting my bailey dump valve tomorrow, its not the same as yours,,but are they hard to fit ? ?

thebadger
Friday 26th February 2010, 23:03
Not really mate, the main issue is having the right fitting & clamps, that's the biggest part of the job.

The fitting on the early T5's (and of course the R's) is probably easier than on a late model P2.

Bits you'll need are...

Sharp utility knife (stanley equivilent)
3 or 4 hose clamps, 2 should be 60-70mm & 2 of 25-35mm
Length of silicone hose (3-6mm size)
one plastic "T" peice (for the vac)
and your main "pipe" T.

Fitting time is about 30-40 mins tops.

If you have the bits & are going to fit a blanking plate, you can easily add an hour or an hour an a half!

Just remember I'm in your general area Hadi & can come round to lend assistance.

thebadger
Friday 26th February 2010, 23:14
let me know if the 'sound' is better off the Forge Recirc than stock - might treat myself to one if you get more blow and chatter.

Ben, I hate to say this, but you most likley cannot fit a TD04 recirc valve on your car. You have the wrong turbo. (and engine too :mischievo)

This bit of kit will fit all the TD04/05 turbos & replaces the stock recirc valve which is fitted & basically is highly prone to fail.

If you want to fit an external BOV to your car, then you need advice on what you can & cannot do. I'd assume its not really possible as there's almost no room under your bonnet for the engine! Unless you fit the BOV inside the cab I have no idea where you'd house it!

Best thought is a pipe attached BOV, but fitting & knowing where to fit one would be outwith my general bodgery! I could make it stick to a pipe, I just wouldn't like to guess which one to try on!

Maybe check about to see if anyone else has fitted one yet? I'll happily help if you need a garage & tools for the day!

thebadger
Friday 26th February 2010, 23:32
OK, so I said I would post what the general impact was once I'd beaten the snow.

First off the car sounds much smoother! As much as I liked my BOV hiss noise I have to admit that the car was a touch rough & sounded hoarse at times.

My second thought is that the car has now got a higher acceleration rate although the salt on the roads was messing this about so I'm going to have a play tomorrow & check.

Finaly I have a very odd thing to report & may be completly dreaming this last one up.... but here goes...

My gears were slipping/hitting neutral while moving in slow traffic, but today I had only one occsion when this "seemed" to happen & that was as I heasitated on a mini roundabout. Could the new recirc be alowwing something in the gearbox to work better? I always assumed that engine & gearbox would be mutually exclusive in how they operated.

Anyone knowing differently *please* let me know as it's going to start me worrying!

Also can anyone tell me what cast pipe would live behind the engine block in front of the turbo? There was a pipe in the way that looked important & needed gentle but firm encouragment to not be in the way of fitting the recirc... Just incase I've damaged it (I was overly gentle) and I know what to look out for. (I assumed it would be the coolant system return to the radiator.)

Cheers

Badger

t5_monkey
Friday 26th February 2010, 23:35
Ben, I hate to say this, but you most likley cannot fit a TD04 recirc valve on your car. You have the wrong turbo. (and engine too :mischievo)

This bit of kit will fit all the TD04/05 turbos & replaces the stock recirc valve which is fitted & basically is highly prone to fail.

If you want to fit an external BOV to your car, then you need advice on what you can & cannot do. I'd assume its not really possible as there's almost no room under your bonnet for the engine! Unless you fit the BOV inside the cab I have no idea where you'd house it!

Best thought is a pipe attached BOV, but fitting & knowing where to fit one would be outwith my general bodgery! I could make it stick to a pipe, I just wouldn't like to guess which one to try on!

Maybe check about to see if anyone else has fitted one yet? I'll happily help if you need a garage & tools for the day!

Forge does a specific one for my car (and the ford focus - same unit) Space is pretty tight under there! would prob get a garage to do the swap.

Thanks for the offer of the tools etc... I'll maybe read the installation guide if i get one to see if i feel that brave.

Apparently with the ME7 engine management an external BOV can cause all kinds of problems so I'm not going to bother.

thebadger
Friday 26th February 2010, 23:49
Never did me any harm, ran it for over a year! Just poor economy was the bummer!