PDA

View Full Version : D5 = bad vibration when thrashed

p fandango
Monday 22nd February 2010, 06:12
went & looked at a S60 D5 for my old man yesterday, very low mileage but when i took it out the engine was rattly & felt like it was holding back compared to Bonny. My bro took it for a test drive then & gave it more of a thrashing than me. When reving it hard & hit about 3k the whole car vibrated really bad & gave a really load groan. Tried it again in 3rd just to make sure it wasn't a traction issue & it did it again. Obviously we parked up & walked off, but was that the famous DMF (dual mass flywheel) problem

Dangerous Dave
Monday 22nd February 2010, 08:40
I'm sure my engine has the dual mass flywheel fitted, as the clutch friction pad doesn't have any springs in it, and I could move the two parts of he flywheel with my hand when I was doing my gearbox. From what I can gather though, its the DMF from the 960/x90 and not the later type fitted to the x70 range.

Had no problems that I know of.

t5_monkey
Monday 22nd February 2010, 10:07
Apparently the Dual Mass can give a strange vibration when accelerating hard - feels like a 'corkscrew motion' in the car - like the car is wiggling a kind of 'wobbly' vibration feeling (hard to describe) as it's accelerating.

Mine does it now it's modified (it's got a dual mass flywheel) - however it's very subtle, and doesn't sound anywhere near as pronounced as what you described. There was no accompanying sounds that weren't there before and it tended to be most noticable at lower RPM not higher.

What's the usual symptons of a dual mass flywheel going wrong?

Jaseb77
Monday 22nd February 2010, 11:50
Really load groan

DMF very probably, and shudders too.

Dangerous Dave
Monday 22nd February 2010, 12:50
I heard of one case where the flywheel broke up and smashed through the bellhousing, but I guess thats the worst case scenario.

p fandango
Monday 22nd February 2010, 18:26
Apparently the Dual Mass can give a strange vibration when accelerating hard - feels like a 'corkscrew motion' in the car - like the car is wiggling a kind of 'wobbly' vibration feeling (hard to describe) as it's accelerating.

Mine does it now it's modified (it's got a dual mass flywheel) - however it's very subtle, and doesn't sound anywhere near as pronounced as what you described. There was no accompanying sounds that weren't there before and it tended to be most noticable at lower RPM not higher.

What's the usual symptons of a dual mass flywheel going wrong?
yeh sounds totally different to what your experiencing

p fandango
Monday 22nd February 2010, 18:29
Really load groan

DMF very probably, and shudders too.
thats it, i felt the shuddering even being sat in the back

Jaseb77
Tuesday 23rd February 2010, 10:02
Mapped D5's can show that trait, when really pushing it

Rica Sports map, has do be treated with respect, to your clutch, if you do its fine

p fandango
Tuesday 23rd February 2010, 15:57
Mapped D5's can show that trait, when really pushing it
the one we test drove was standard, even felt a bit slower than Bonny & only had 70k miles on the clock

Rica Sports map, has do be treated with respect, to your clutch, if you do its fine
ah, might have to forget that idea then lol

Jaseb77
Wednesday 24th February 2010, 10:51
get Bonny mapped, it transforms it, if your worried get the standard map.

Though I have ran sports map for 50K now.