PDA

View Full Version : thing's that go clonk in the night.

Straker
Monday 20th June 2005, 21:44
Still relatively new to volvo ownership and am getting used to the car (only had her since Late March).

However on pullaway (from cold but never when warm) there is a faint but distinct noise which I would describe as a cross between a clonk and a grind. It is faint and only when the car is cold but it seems to happen every time.

So far nothing has fallen off and I cant see anything obviously loose so I am assuming it is nothing serious :sick:

It seems to be coming from the left hand side of the car and I would have said towards the back but I could be mistaken as it could equally be the front.

The only theroy I came up with (appart from the obvious car possessed by the devil senario :beammeup: ) is that the car is an AUTO and the noise seems to occour soon after the shift from first to second. I was therefore thinking is it the torque converter physically locking up (I believe these boxes have a full lock up function).

Does anyone else with an auto (or not) hear these strange noises and if so any ideas what it is.

Thanks.

Tomcat
Monday 20th June 2005, 21:46
I have an auto, but don't have any sort of clunk\knock. Have you checked the top engine mount to make sure its not the culprit.

k690bpp
Monday 20th June 2005, 22:08
i'd bet its the abs self check

Straker
Monday 20th June 2005, 22:18
Topmount is brand new.

ABS self check sound plausable the module is above the trans.

Maybe I can disconnect temporarily and see if the noise dissapears.

mraldonnelly
Tuesday 21st June 2005, 09:52
It is indeed the ABS self check. It does it at about 17mph (30kph) at the start of every journey.

You should only hear it once after starting up the engine and I think it comes from the front left of the car.

Nowt to worry about. You only need to worry if you stop hearing it.

Regards

Andy

Straker
Tuesday 21st June 2005, 12:38
It does only occour once. I'll have a look at the spedo tonight when it happens. Like you say nothing has fallen off yet so I'll start worrying when I don't hear it.

Thanks.

It is indeed the ABS self check. It does it at about 17mph (30kph) at the start of every journey.

You should only hear it once after starting up the engine and I think it comes from the front left of the car.

Nowt to worry about. You only need to worry if you stop hearing it.

Regards

Andy

swordy21
Tuesday 21st June 2005, 13:58
OOOhhhh that might be the cause of my clunk. Very faint, almost feel it through your left foot more than hear it. I was just preparing to replace my wishbone bushes. That said my ABS ECU has just gone POP, so will be off to Wobbly Dave in a day or so.

mraldonnelly
Tuesday 21st June 2005, 16:02
Very faint, almost feel it through your left foot more than hear it.

That's the one Swordy.

It has happened on all 850's and V70 classics that I've driven. Never noticed it on my father-in-laws new V70 though.

Regards

Andy