PDA

View Full Version : Visit to 'Dealer' Parts Dept *RANT*

v70torslanda
Saturday 20th February 2010, 12:51
Serves me right really, I should've called Simon . . .

I called in to my 'local dealership' a few days ago. I wanted to enquire whether I could still get a Digital Juke Box for my V70, failing that an i-Pod adapter.

The first guy didn't know what I was talking about and said so, fair enough.
The second guy - supposedly clued-up and Volvo experienced - couldn't find it either. Am I going loopy? Didn't Volvo release an i-Pod adapter about 4 years ago? Heavily promoted at the time? About 200quid fitted? WTF? OK, I know the Digital Juke Box was always a dear item but has it been dropped?

I left my contact details with them on Tuesday and they said they'd call back.
I'm still waiting.
It's a good job it's not a VOR issue . . .

I've been a 'Parts Professional' for almost 30 years. My job has always depended on customer service. We don't do ourselves any favours, do we?

p fandango
Saturday 20th February 2010, 13:13
both the jukebox & the iPod adaptor are shown in the accessory PDF (LINK (http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=10&ved=0CEIQFjAJ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pdfpictures.com%2Fpdf%2Fdownl oad.php%3Fname%3DVolvoAcc2006-Standard.pdf&ei=od5_S_TCAY2y0gTeocixBA&usg=AFQjCNE4uEmUAOf7VGW0rTUqq2FasFJwJw&sig2=Jv-dc2n9LK_gVODlHB5Vqw)) but it doesn't give part numbers

t5_monkey
Saturday 20th February 2010, 13:22
Thats rubbish - hopefully he'll get back to you.

I went into a Volvo main dealer and 'salesman' had NEVER even heard of an S60R - what a dumbo - I've been a professional salesperson, and it always astounds me how poor most sales experiences are - the recession can't be that bad because so many people act like they couldn't care less about your business.

JUDGENINJA
Sunday 21st February 2010, 10:04
...and it is not as if Volvo actually make that many different models.... I don't like the one in Sheffield due to their closed off parts desk.... looks very a very amateurish. but I don't have too much of a choice.

.There overall knowledge is pretty poor as well...

dave stew
Monday 22nd February 2010, 08:11
Wahay John! Watch out for a Police impersonating blue V70 loaded with a load of prog rock MP3s in the Manchester region!

v70torslanda
Thursday 11th March 2010, 11:11
Wahay John! Watch out for a Police impersonating blue V70 loaded with a load of prog rock MP3s in the Manchester region!

Barst!

Baj
Thursday 11th March 2010, 11:49
I had one parts guy telling me they never have stocked a double or single DIN adaptor plate for a new stereo, that my dash yourld be like a christmas tree if I removed my stereo and, once I had to supply the part number to a pegasus wheel as they could not find it in a printed or computer catalogue and he did not recognise it from my, frankly accurate, description.

Rufe
Thursday 11th March 2010, 12:11
Serves me right really, I should've called Simon . . .
yes it does! :P

Nothing I have read above surprises me, as I have heard lots of stories from customers telling me that they have been given all sorts of bad information.

The problem is really that you cant assume everyone is at the same level, not even in the same dealership.

For example there are 4 of us in the parts department here (well 5 with our driver), and we have a good reputation I would like to think, but one of us here, who I wont name, we do not even let answer the phone any more as he was forever making very big mistakes, and constantly giving out wrong information. He has been working here for longer than I have been alive and I'm 32 this year. He's a nice guy but really does not have a clue. Don't worry as he would never be involved in any of the orders for anyone, he literally now only hands over service items to the workshop counter. My point is though that there can be a wide range of standards, even in the same place. It shouldn't be like that, but it is, and this would probably be true for pretty much everywhere I would imagine.

The ipod adapter has not been available for some time now, we can get them for 2008> models but not for older cars. Volvo removed any mention of them from their accessory catalogue, but for some reason the fitting instructions still keep popping up for the earlier models making people think they are still available, but they are not.

Simon

MacXC60T5
Thursday 11th March 2010, 22:32
I telephoned CS of Volvo re Ipod's the answer was. We dropped the Ipod because the model was changing so quick that our original connector would not suit or fit the newer Ipods. Thanks and put the phone down and had a cup of sludge which was a lot better than spending time talking to Volvo CS. I have now given up on any idea of having a hard wired connection for either Ipod or MP3 player. Just use a transmitter which works OK but I do believe that The Griffen is very good.

princepugh
Thursday 11th March 2010, 23:18
You checked out the USA Spec adapters?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USA-SPEC-PA11-VOL-VOLVO-2001-06-iPOD-INTERFACE-ADAPTOR_W0QQitemZ160407997102QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_0?hash=item25590fcaae

thebadger
Thursday 11th March 2010, 23:32
http://www.imiv.ca/cms/

These are ones I recall from quite a while back!

Bit pricy tho!

straight5
Friday 12th March 2010, 09:57
what about a cheap fm adaptor for your ipod? FM quality can be quite good.

v70torslanda
Friday 12th March 2010, 12:23
what about a cheap fm adaptor for your ipod? FM quality can be quite good.

Trying to do it, if poss, without wires everywhere. I have enough cabling with the DVD system :)

J

gazbak1
Friday 12th March 2010, 18:18
i have a us-spec ipod kit that i only bought and fitted about 2 months ago. it was perfect, easy to fit.

only reason im selling it is because i have just traded the car in.

if your intrested send me a pm