PDA

View Full Version : Volvo P2 Radio,s HU850 "Cr@p"

MacXC60T5
Friday 19th February 2010, 08:28
Having had a problem with my CD Player in my HU850 and having searched the various problems with this unit it would appear that this unit has many problems causing owners a lot of expense in repairs. I was very surprised to see a dedicated site on Ebay to repairs to the Hu850 Unit. I am very fortunate that mine is being replaced. I also notice that the extended Volvo Warranty does not cover electrical goods such as the radio. I suppose I am hiting my head against a wall. It would be very interesting to know how many people do not even bother to get a faulty unit repaired. I must say if I had to pay from my own money I would not fork out £300.00 for a repair or £600.00 for a new unit.

richiemat
Friday 19th February 2010, 10:08
I may consider one of these if mine breaks again, dont know much about them other than this though?

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=67883

Rich

volvokid
Friday 19th February 2010, 10:14
What goes wrong with them?

richiemat
Friday 19th February 2010, 10:20
What goes wrong with them?

A cd error message appears and you cant remove any discs. The plastic parts of the mechanism break inside the unit. Im meant to have refurbished version with 'uprated internals' but somehow i think that may be the dealer fibbing to me.:splat:

britten_mark
Friday 19th February 2010, 11:46
I did think you were extremely lucky/nervy to have your unit replaced when it states clearly in the warranty that it's not covered.

Mine is OK so far but I really miss not having an SD/USB input for memory sticks, and I don't fancy an adaptor as I hate Ipods.

MacXC60T5
Friday 19th February 2010, 15:31
I did think you were extremely lucky/nervy to have your unit replaced when it states clearly in the warranty that it's not covered.

Mine is OK so far but I really miss not having an SD/USB input for memory sticks, and I don't fancy an adaptor as I hate Ipods.

I think, when you buy a vehicle if something is not working then the sellar if a Garage is duty bound, if they are a Volvo dealer to sort it out. For example when I got the T5 3 weeks ago, I did not check the CD player, my fault, I had new mud flaps put on and when the wheels were removed the locking nut only worked on three wheels. Had to get a new set £46.84 + vat. I main bulb bust so replaced both £20.80 I will pay but I am making a claim for wheel nuts. Payment agreed.

Regard a USB adapter I think its possible to have one fitted. I would bother if I was doing a big mileage as some years ago I only do about 3k per year now so just not worth it. I just use my MP3 player with a transmitter seems to work ok, quality not the same as CD.

Jaseb77
Friday 19th February 2010, 18:34
as long as your head unit works, get a usa-spec ipod adaptor and you wont ever need to put CD's in it, put all your music on an Ipod or MP3 player.

Retain all your pro-logic and steering controls too.

v70torslanda
Saturday 20th February 2010, 12:38
When I worked for a dealer (2004-6) head units were available on an exchange basis. No 'upgrades', just like for like swaps but IIRC they were about 150 +vat n software.

Several owners had used copy CDs with adhesive labels and these would not stand up to the temperature changes in the unit. They were very worried about the cost until we told them of the service exchange. Has this changed? Are they no longer available?