PDA

View Full Version : Bodywork Question

gmain1967
Wednesday 17th February 2010, 22:06
My S40 has started to show signs of the hard winter, and there is a small amount of rust coming out from under the arch liner on the front wing, near the door.

I am doing bits and pieces to the car and don't want the cost of a respray, so are there any suggestions as to how I can stop this getting worse and not look too bad?

I'm contemplating stripping it to metal, painting on a rust inhibitor, and putting carbon fibre sheeting over it, to run to the same height as the rubbing strips on the doors - only on the wings though, not right along the flanks...

Or will that just look naff and shout "BOY RACER"!!!!!!??????

Cheers!

Jimmie
Wednesday 17th February 2010, 22:33
I would rub it down put on KU-Rust or something similar ,undercoat then apply a few coats of gloss paint to build it up to the same level as the rest.
Get your paint from a car care place that can make up small amounts at a time,we have a small shop that does it.Make sure that it isn't waterbased paint because it wont work.Rub down when finished with 1500 w/d paper which will take a while and then polish it up.
Good luck as your car colour is not easy to match.
Would mud flaps not cover the rusty part?.

gmain1967
Wednesday 17th February 2010, 22:51
Thanks Jimmie

KU Rust is what I was going to use on the metal, but as you say, the colour is a pain to get a match for (it's slightly different shades as it is, due to a repair by the previous owner....)

Might see if local body shop could do just a lower half spray, and get the rear arch/doors done too (pretty sure I'll have some rust there soon, as I think I can see it just starting...) And while they're at it, I could get the ubiquitous chips on the bonnet seen to as well. After that, it would be nearly new!

Jimmie
Wednesday 17th February 2010, 23:04
I would try and do some of it myself first and see how it looks.You have nothing to lose and everthing to gain ie;money.
Be careful with some bodyshops as there are a lot of shoddy work out there ,look ok for a start and after a while one big mess.
You could be £300/£400 just for your bonnet or £2000 for a full respray (A1 job),is it worth it?.

scoobysn7x
Thursday 18th February 2010, 05:07
Seems expensive last time I got work done it was £90 a panel at an excellant bodyshop that has unfortunatley since closed down as the gu y immigrated very inconsiderate, could you not just sorce a replacement wing in the same colour with no rust and just swap it over?

lordvague
Friday 23rd April 2010, 21:51
Sattech/ssicarman,

Anything in the shop manual on this issue?

Thanks,

Bob