PDA

View Full Version : S40 t4 Plans

R-200vi
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 20:30
hey all, Im look at getting a S40 t4 1,855 cc. Also thinking about buying Ihi turbo and piper cams and more from the guy who owns our works S40 racing car. This lot was used for about a years worth of racing less than 25 races and also had a beefed up bottom end. The car has now got a whole new set up running 500bph. How much punishment could a standard 1,855 cc bottom end take.

t5_monkey
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 21:37
welcome to the forum - there's a few posts on S40's on here, including a guy who's running about 370bhp on a standard bottom end (i think)

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=11411

try that thread when volvo forums is back up and running

R-200vi
Tuesday 23rd March 2010, 18:29
Got a price back from the guy with the turbo and cam.

Piper cams - fast road cams.
Ihi Turbo - Dont know the model number yet. But its ceramic ball bearing turbo.

Im now looking out for a s40 t4 should be going to look a Green one thats been tweaked professionally some what. Bit of a non runner he said it was the fuel pump? Do have a spare standard one or i could just replace for a uprated one.

Going to be looking for a good road use slip diff whats best and where best to get one from?

Al115
Tuesday 23rd March 2010, 18:50
If you're looking for a T4 give me a shout as I am selling mine... in some state between "very modified" and "stock" depending on what you want :D

Quite a few of the bolt-off bits are already gone though (diff, suspension, intercooler, blah...)

Cheers...

R-200vi
Tuesday 23rd March 2010, 20:16
How much you looking for and whats been done? You breaking a few then? Wll be after a few bits soon. Going to be looking at getting a mappable ecu in the next few mouths. Been look at the motec M4. Thats what were using on our works race car and theres people in swindon that can map them also.

Al115
Wednesday 24th March 2010, 13:17
Hi mate - will send you a PM.

R-200vi
Sunday 28th March 2010, 20:53
havnt got my PM yet? Isnt it best to have all of the manifold branches the same lengths? To make it a bit smipler i was thinking that i would make one like this is there going to be much power loss from this? But without the waste gate take off.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/Ross9/T4bits3.jpg

Also do some 850R have LSD as standard?

gmain1967
Sunday 28th March 2010, 22:34
I think with what you're prosposing that you've had the LSD!!!! LOL

Seriously, best of luck with what you are proposing doing, I'm doing some smaller mods to my T4 to get more performance, but be readily usable and as standard looking as possible... Interested to see how you get on.

All the best

t5_monkey
Sunday 28th March 2010, 22:53
You project sounds pretty exciting - I'd be very interested to see the end results.

Keep up the good work! :)

Al115
Wednesday 31st March 2010, 11:54
Sorry mate, been super busy with work, will write you that PM when I get a moment!!!

Cheers...

R-200vi
Monday 24th May 2010, 00:13
hello boys and girls.. hope you didnt think this thread had come to a stop!!

Got my S40 T4 today. Here are some pic's

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/9655/23052010308.jpg
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/858/23052010309.jpg

Sorry the pic's are not that good. The Rover is a 200 bubble is fitted with 2.0L turbo goes very well.

Going to drive it for a while and save some money up ready for the rebuild. As my rover needs taxing at the end of the mouth and she just started mixing no surprise there. So will take my rover out of retirement for the S40 rebuild. (Not my rover in the pic's)

LiamT4
Monday 24th May 2010, 19:28
Not sure about the chrome around the mesh grill, but the rest looks good. If its the phase 1 (which it looks like from the side markers), you may want to upgrade the brakes, as they are quite small on the phase 1s.

Having the plastic strips colour coded makes a lot of difference on lighter coloured cars.

t5_monkey
Monday 24th May 2010, 21:15
lose the chrome... go for the sleeper look :) Matt blacks will go well with yellow...

LiamT4
Monday 24th May 2010, 21:59
On the looks side, all i'd do is gets some bbs craters (staying with the 16s), get them done in anthrecite and then lower it. Then concentrate on the performance :firedevil

gmain1967
Monday 24th May 2010, 22:17
lose the chrome... go for the sleeper look :) Matt blacks will go well with yellow...

I agree 100%. Well, kind of have to, the way things are going with project banana and the yellow/black colour thing....!

LiamT4
Monday 24th May 2010, 22:24
I agree 100%. Well, kind of have to, the way things are going with project banana and the yellow/black colour thing....!

Very nice car there too. I do love t4s :D

R-200vi
Tuesday 25th May 2010, 00:08
The pic's were took in a car park on the way home. Havnt had any time to sort a few things out on it yet. Was eyeing a standard grill to day at work on a scrapper! your right not much can be said about the brakes think they will be done first. you guys got any ideas on whats a good and cheap upgrade on the brakes?

gmain1967
Tuesday 25th May 2010, 06:20
Keep us posted on the brakes as I'm looking at doing mine right now, they are terrible and that's with ferodo performance pads all round.... I had a look a while back and black diamond seemed to be recommended, and were available at a good price (well below std discs). I'll see if I can find who was selling them at the time.

LiamT4
Tuesday 25th May 2010, 12:55
If you both have the phase 1 cars, with the 256mm? discs, then i don't really know how you can make them significantly better without fitting bigger brakes.

My phase 2 had 280mm discs and when i brought it, it had ferodo pads and when i needed new pads i got some ebc red stuff (a lot less brake dust) both of which (for me) were excellent, the ferodo were better from cold but both good. People who came in the car with me said the brakes seemed really good.

Maybe you could upgrade to the phase 2 or (i think) i have read of people upgrading to mitsi evo 3 or 4? brakes, these are 278mm fr discs, but have the advantage of having twin pot calipers. If you could get hold of either of these brake set ups 2nd hand, it shouldn't be to expensive, and combined with a good disc and pad set up should greatly improve your braking.

But, sorry, i don't think theres that much you can do, cheaply, with the early phase 1 brakes, 256mm? front brakes are just not enough when you have 200bhp and 225lbft. Especially when you start getting more power.

R-200vi
Monday 31st May 2010, 12:54
Put a new cambelt on my S40 friday. So i was giving it some stick lastnight. stopping is a big issue as after breaking hard about 3 times the brakes were overheating and lost the pedal. brake fluid is black and needs changing ASAP. Going to skim the disks and put some red stuff break pads in for now. Was reading though this thread.

http://www.southernpetrolheads.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=41

Go on page two he said that you can use the standard Evo 3 brakes. Thats could be a good upgrade!

LiamT4
Monday 31st May 2010, 16:42
Put a new cambelt on my S40 friday. So i was giving it some stick lastnight. stopping is a big issue as after breaking hard about 3 times the brakes were overheating and lost the pedal. brake fluid is black and needs changing ASAP. Going to skim the disks and put some red stuff break pads in for now. Was reading though this thread.

http://www.southernpetrolheads.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=41

Go on page two he said that you can use the standard Evo 3 brakes. Thats could be a good upgrade!

My t4 with the 280mm brakes, braided brake hoses and the redstuff (previously ferodo) pads where good, with very little brake fade when driven hard, but i would have thought having the evo3 brakes would be better as they are twin pots after all. I'd do it.

BTW, i'd had now decided to keep my s70r and had decided what mods i wanted to do to it, but now i'v seen that t4, i want another t4!:confused: :cry:

R-200vi
Saturday 14th August 2010, 19:19
Been Look at turbos.. If i do use this ihi VF34 turbo im also going to need to make a custom manifold which i can really be that assed.. I also need to keep reliability in my car. So i've been look at a Mitsubishi TD04L-14T which on read up is more of a bolt on turbo? Or should i stop being lazy and use the Ihi? Anybody here tryed the Mitsubishi TD04L-14T on there T4?

gmain1967
Saturday 14th August 2010, 20:57
Been Look at turbos.. If i do use this ihi VF34 turbo im also going to need to make a custom manifold which i can really be that assed.. I also need to keep reliability in my car. So i've been look at a Mitsubishi TD04L-14T which on read up is more of a bolt on turbo? Or should i stop being lazy and use the Ihi? Anybody here tryed the Mitsubishi TD04L-14T on there T4?

Erm, the T4 comes with that turbo on it already, or should do....! The 2.0lpt version had a smaller 12t, but all T4's should have the TD04L-14t

Cheers

R-200vi
Sunday 15th August 2010, 17:28
Yes your right..! Was thinking i had the Mitsubishi TD04L-12T.. Will double check tomorrrow as we have a spare s/v40 standard turbo at work. So is there a upgrade bolt on turbo available?

Al115
Sunday 15th August 2010, 17:32
I fitted a 16t to mine, needed a custom manifold fabricating (which I had made from a T5 manifold with a cylinder chopped off!)

Have both for sale if you're looking. PM me if so.

Cheers...