PDA

View Full Version : V70...Slow rear wiper?

bigndaft
Monday 20th June 2005, 15:23
Hi everyone,
my problem is a very slow rear wiper, is it a common thing? I took the tailgate pannel off...well almost off and was able to undoo the connecting rod ...this proved the motor was fine but the shaft through to the wiper was really stiff... used WD40 and it loosened slightly but still :pants:
Any ideas ?

Not_Gwaredd
Monday 20th June 2005, 16:33
I had this exact same problem when I bought my 855, except it wasn't slow, it was seized solid.

What I did was to strip it right down to bare parts & gently tap the wiper shaft out of the collar. When I say tap, I mean beat, because iirc the shaft is made of aluminium & the collar is steel, so the old ali fur sets in & it's a pig to get out, but as your's is moving still, it should be OK.

When it's all stripped, get a rould file & clean all the gunk out of the collar, then get some sandpaper & clean the wiper shaft up. You'll know when you're done when you can slide the shaft in & out of the collar freely. Reasemble with plenty of grease or copperslip.

Gwaredd.

Richard Brandt
Monday 20th June 2005, 16:53
Common problem I think.
I solved it (quickley) with oil. In nice weather open lid and keep horizontal, remove wiperarm and plastic cap. First some wd40 to loosen things, perhaps convincing shaft to unseeze with a few taps, then thick oil, which should penetrate. Switch motor on and off to let oil find a way through.
BUT.. this is a quick fix, I now have a split plastic cap with all sorts of stuff accumulated.

Robin G
Monday 20th June 2005, 17:33
Had the same experience as Gwaredd, mine just got slower and slower. That spindle was seized solid - yes I used a penetrating oil and a combination of lots of gentle tapping and twisting - left the nut on the end to protect the thread. I avoided putting any unnecessary strain onto the plastic frame, cleaned it up and then reassembled with copper grease - all I had at hand. Now parks and sweeps perfectly.
Good strategies for lots of occasions !

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 21st June 2005, 01:16
I thought about fitting a hand to the end of the wiper - but I am odd that way.

bigndaft
Tuesday 21st June 2005, 12:47
Thanks guys, Ill have another go this weekend :) ...and Wobbley...I think youv'e been staying up to late :troutslap

stuAWD
Tuesday 21st June 2005, 19:57
I thought about fitting a hand to the end of the wiper - but I am odd that way.
Bad idea, bet you'd get plenty of folk without trousers looking at the back of your motor.