PDA

View Full Version : Setting the timing - S60R

Hunter
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 14:31
Hi,

I'm having a replacement 2005 S60R engine fitted to my 2004 S60R. My car was running some kind of remap before it developed the problem that prompted the replacement engine. Is there a set standard procedure for setting the timing on the S60R, because the guys who have done the work say that, having set it up on the timing marks, it's not running cleanly. Any advice would be gratefully received :)

Thanks in advance,
Brian

t5 stealth
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 19:45
hi,
when you say "not running cleanly".... what do you meen,
reason i ask is these models have a vvt valve i think,
there is a problem with it sticking & causing poor running etc,
the cure is to clean it out thourally (i cant spell that lol)

Al115
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 19:55
Off-topic I know, but can you shed any light on the reason your engine went bang?

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Hunter
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 20:43
hi,
when you say "not running cleanly".... what do you meen,
reason i ask is these models have a vvt valve i think,
there is a problem with it sticking & causing poor running etc,
the cure is to clean it out thourally (i cant spell that lol)

Running rough at idle and cutting out. You're right, it's got VVT on the inlet and exhaust valves. I suspect they've not set the timing correctly which is why I posed the question. The engine is clean. Thanks for your reply :)

Hunter
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 20:45
Off-topic I know, but can you shed any light on the reason your engine went bang?

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Didn't go bang, was just losing water which turned out to be a split liner in No.2 cylinder. Cheap option, believe it or not, was to buy another motor.

t5 stealth
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 20:51
if the timing was wrong or out then the engine would trash itself as its an interferance engine,meaning valves hit pistons etc,
im guessing its something else,have you read the codes.

Hunter
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 21:02
if the timing was wrong or out then the engine would trash itself as its an interferance engine,meaning valves hit pistons etc,
im guessing its something else,have you read the codes.

Just spoken to the guy whose mechanics are doing the work - he suspects one or more valves on the replacement motor are already damaged :( Time for the head to come off ... So much for the assurances given by the seller :(

t5 stealth
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 21:07
Just spoken to the guy whose mechanics are doing the work - he suspects one or more valves on the replacement motor are already damaged :( Time for the head to come off ... So much for the assurances given by the seller :(

oh....then yes the timing is wrong.
im assuming codes were read,ie not missfires or coil failiure rather than valve damage.
sorry to hear it mate if its fatal,

RT MECHANICS
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 21:10
Didn't go bang, was just losing water which turned out to be a split liner in No.2 cylinder. Cheap option, believe it or not, was to buy another motor.

Sorry to here this Hunter thats the fourth R i have heard of in the last two years with split liner in number 2 i guess the R manifold is not as good as everyone likes to think...

Hope you get it sorted it sounds like the VVT is not right have they got the cam locking tools to set them or Vida/Vadis to check the timing etc ?

Russ

p fandango
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 21:22
Sorry to here this Hunter thats the fourth R i have heard of in the last two years with split liner in number 2 i guess the R manifold is not as good as everyone likes to think...
even 1993 Volvo admitted that using a 2.5 left the cylinder walls too thin which is why the T-5 engine was made as a 2.3. Perhaps thats more to do with it

RT MECHANICS
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 21:33

even 1993 Volvo admitted that using a 2.5 left the cylinder walls too thin which is why the T-5 engine was made as a 2.3. Perhaps thats more to do with it

Maybe http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j152/500bhpvolvo/The%20C70/FocusWR330CrackedLiner-Testengine.jpg

t5 pete
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 21:37
russ are our liners pressed in or are they cast in with the alloy.
cheers pete

Hunter
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 21:39

Hope you get it sorted it sounds like the VVT is not right have they got the cam locking tools to set them or Vida/Vadis to check the timing etc ?

Russ

Don't know. I've asked the question. They're good at what they do - been looking after my cars for about 7 years - so won't be beaten. At least I have most of another good engine to cannibalise for spares ;)

Thanks,
Brian

Hunter
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 21:41
Maybe http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j152/500bhpvolvo/The%20C70/FocusWR330CrackedLiner-Testengine.jpg

Hmm, that looks familiar ;) Mine wasn't quite as bad, just a 2mm crack from the top, barely visible to the naked eye, but enough to let the water in.

RT MECHANICS
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 21:48
russ are our liners pressed in or are they cast in with the alloy.
cheers pete

Hi Pete

They are cast in i have some picks i had taken when my liners were cut out of my block to see whats needed to sort it i will try to find them

Don't know. I've asked the question. They're good at what they do - been looking after my cars for about 7 years - so won't be beaten. At least I have most of another good engine to cannibalise for spares ;)

Thanks,
Brian

Hmm, that looks familiar ;) Mine wasn't quite as bad, just a 2mm crack from the top, barely visible to the naked eye, but enough to let the water in.

Each one i have seen looked the same i am sure your garage will sort it all ok

Russ

The kiss of death with any of the R's is water use and a missfire from cold

t5 pete
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 21:57
that would be great russ cheers

Hunter
Friday 12th March 2010, 22:31
Well, finally got my car back today :) Ended up finding another engine with only 19k miles and transplanting that. Dropped in the cams from the original engine which had all the timing marks on them. Not given it a run yet, but I'm assured it's running well.

Just need to work out what to do with the old engine. Two thoughts ... 1) Get the block fixed with Darton liners and have a spare engine to play with when the S60R becomes my track car :wink: or 2) flog off all the good parts from the original engine, e.g. everything exept the block. Decisions, decisions ...

RT MECHANICS
Saturday 13th March 2010, 08:19
Well, finally got my car back today :) Ended up finding another engine with only 19k miles and transplanting that. Dropped in the cams from the original engine which had all the timing marks on them. Not given it a run yet, but I'm assured it's running well.

Just need to work out what to do with the old engine. Two thoughts ... 1) Get the block fixed with Darton liners and have a spare engine to play with when the S60R becomes my track car :wink: or 2) flog off all the good parts from the original engine, e.g. everything exept the block. Decisions, decisions ...

Thats good news what was the problem with the rough running ?

Hunter
Saturday 13th March 2010, 11:14

Not entirely sure. I suspect the timing was a smidge out. However, the good news is that no damage was done. After that, dropped in the cams from the original engine to ensure the timing was OK. Took it for a run this morning without incident so fingers crossed. I think a few of the shims need matching between the new head and the old cams as there's a wee bit ticking but it's not bad. Nice to be back :)

Hunter
Monday 12th April 2010, 19:58

Sorry, not been around much lately. Thought I'd update the post ... :)

Rough running was just down to crap fuel - car had been sitting for 5 months and I suspect the V-Power either went off, or some water had got into the system. That tank of fuel resulted in some rough running, dropping to 4 cylinders occasionally on the overrun, 'check engine' light coming on, etc. Since filling up with quality fuel, I've now been running the car for over 1000 miles with no issues at all. Back to full health and big smiles all round :D

I'm now thinking about fixing the original engine, having Darton liners fitted to fix the split liner problem, and putting it back in the car. I'll then have a guaranteed good 20k miles complete engine for sale if anyone's looking :)

So, who should I speak to (in the UK, please :) ) about getting the original block re-linered with Mr Darton's finest?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

t5_monkey
Monday 12th April 2010, 20:00
Won't Darton Liners set you back a fair whack?

Liners in my block are made from chocolate (over 330 is asking for trouble apparently) - wouldn't mind a set if they don't cost the earth :)

RT MECHANICS
Monday 12th April 2010, 21:14
Sorry, not been around much lately. Thought I'd update the post ... :)

Rough running was just down to crap fuel - car had been sitting for 5 months and I suspect the V-Power either went off, or some water had got into the system. That tank of fuel resulted in some rough running, dropping to 4 cylinders occasionally on the overrun, 'check engine' light coming on, etc. Since filling up with quality fuel, I've now been running the car for over 1000 miles with no issues at all. Back to full health and big smiles all round :D

I'm now thinking about fixing the original engine, having Darton liners fitted to fix the split liner problem, and putting it back in the car. I'll then have a guaranteed good 20k miles complete engine for sale if anyone's looking :)

So, who should I speak to (in the UK, please :) ) about getting the original block re-linered with Mr Darton's finest?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

Thats good news Brian There is no agent as such for the Darton sleeves i neally sent my block to them in the usa to have the work done but in the end the machine shop i use did it fine i can ask them for a price for you if you wish for my style of liner design

Russ

RT MECHANICS
Monday 12th April 2010, 21:15

Liners in my block are made from chocolate (over 330 is asking for trouble apparently) - wouldn't mind a set if they don't cost the earth :)

The Liners them selves dont cost to much 1K odd but its the machining work to fix them in place etc etc that costs the money

Russ

Hunter
Monday 12th April 2010, 22:11
The Liners them selves dont cost to much 1K odd but its the machining work to fix them in place etc etc that costs the money

Russ

Thanks Russ. I have an excellent engineer locally I can use. If I buy the Darton sleeves from a US agent, I guess they would provide any advice and/or pattern to fit them.

When you say "my style of liner design", are there different designs? What should I be looking for? There's no obvious sleeve design on Darton's website - I guess I need to speak to one of their engineers. Sorry, new to this ;)

Hunter
Monday 12th April 2010, 22:16

I found a company in the US that will supply and fit for around $2,000 but I don't think it would be practical or cost-effective to ship the block to them. Russ mentions around £1,000 for the sleeves plus finding someone here to do the work. Might be worth it to get a bomb-proof engine :)

t5_monkey
Monday 12th April 2010, 22:40
I found a company in the US that will supply and fit for around $2,000 but I don't think it would be practical or cost-effective to ship the block to them. Russ mentions around £1,000 for the sleeves plus finding someone here to do the work. Might be worth it to get a bomb-proof engine :)

Cool Keep me up to date - I may be interested in this if you find someone around Scotland to do all of this work :) Maybe they can do 2 for a discount?!

Ben

lordvague
Monday 26th April 2010, 15:49
Hey aus...can ya tell me how to set the timing on my 01 c5?

Hunter
Saturday 10th December 2011, 08:35
Cool Keep me up to date - I may be interested in this if you find someone around Scotland to do all of this work :) Maybe they can do 2 for a discount?!

Ben

Well, it's been an eventful time ;) The second engine went the same way as the first, 20k miles after I fitted it. So, in March this year, the Volvo went back to the hospital :( After some deliberation (should I buy another second-hand engine, fix the original one, light the blue touch paper and stand clear ... ;) ), I decided that I'd invested enough in this car to keep it a bit longer and decided on having a stronger motor built. So, some time later, here it is.

Engine has been built by a local race engine builder, with sleeves designed and manufactured by him. We discussed just buying Darton sleeves and he said he could make similar for less money, so he did. Not sure about the less money at the end of the day, but he has guaranteed(!) the engine to 500bhp so we'll see. I'll run it as it is till the middle of next year when it will become a dedicated track car.

Here are a couple of pics of the engine as it is now. Just got the car back yesterday afternoon and will be running it in over the next month or so, so I'll see how it goes.

Cheers,
Brian

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 10th December 2011, 11:48
How much (if I am allowed to ask) is the budget for this rebuild?

Hunter
Saturday 10th December 2011, 12:21
How much (if I am allowed to ask) is the budget for this rebuild?

Not seen the bill yet, Dave, but I have paid £2k on account as the invoice from the engine builder for drilling the old liners out of the block, making and fitting the new liners, and providing new rings, main bearing shells, all new bolts, head gasket, VAT :( etc., was just over £2k. I'm expecting to pay another £1k or so for all the work in removing the engine, refitting the new one, new belts, re-gassing the aircon, etc. Also had some other work done on the car (new discs and pads, service, etc.) and am waiting on a new solid flywheel (would have been fitted at the same time, but there's a slight machining problem so will get that fitted later. Probably another £1k.

Still cheaper than the depreciation on a new Ford Focus :D At least, that's how I'm convincing myself this is worth the effort! ;)

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 10th December 2011, 14:18
Not seen the bill yet, Dave, but I have paid £2k on account as the invoice from the engine builder for drilling the old liners out of the block, making and fitting the new liners, and providing new rings, main bearing shells, all new bolts, head gasket, VAT :( etc., was just over £2k. I'm expecting to pay another £1k or so for all the work in removing the engine, refitting the new one, new belts, re-gassing the aircon, etc. Also had some other work done on the car (new discs and pads, service, etc.) and am waiting on a new solid flywheel (would have been fitted at the same time, but there's a slight machining problem so will get that fitted later. Probably another £1k.

Still cheaper than the depreciation on a new Ford Focus :D At least, that's how I'm convincing myself this is worth the effort! ;)
I kept telliing myself during the LSD/ Gearbox debacle I had this year, with Betsy's quaiffe upgrade project

Santa
Saturday 10th December 2011, 21:37

So 4500 ish?

I've thought about dropping a 2.4 in if/when mine goes bang but thinking this may actually be a better route

Hunter
Thursday 15th December 2011, 19:39
So 4500 ish?

I've thought about dropping a 2.4 in if/when mine goes bang but thinking this may actually be a better route

I have a full engine with a cracked sleeve - could get that built up to sell to you :)

t5 pete
Wednesday 3rd September 2014, 00:27
Holy thread resurrection batman what ever happened to mr hunter and his nice engine

LeeT5
Wednesday 17th September 2014, 19:07

Option 2. :wink:

LeeT5
Wednesday 17th September 2014, 19:24
Option 2. :wink:

:slap:
note to self....Must check date of thread b4 posting!