PDA

View Full Version : pipe on air filter

p0xy
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 13:23
I have snapped the pipe what goes onto this under the manifold as it was that brittle :s, will it make a difference with it not been connected? I have blanked the end off what goes into the air filter.. Will it do any damage or anythin?

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e79/p0xy/ABCD0001-1.jpg

Colin850
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 14:59
Can you get access to the bit where you've snapped it?
I did the same thing on my car and ended up joining the 2 broken ends together with some silicone vacuum hose until i was able to get the new pipes from Volvo.
Not sure it would be a good idea to drive it without it connected.

p0xy
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 15:10
na mate i cant get to it at all, its snapped under the manifold... I went out in it earlier and the boost is crap... do you know what size silicone vacuum hose i will need mate?

p0xy
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 16:55
can someone tell me if this is the pipe that goes to it in step 8 to the left of the pic just under the radiator hose??

http://lakesidedp.com/uploadpics/pcv/

p fandango
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 17:03
can someone tell me if this is the pipe that goes to it in step 8 to the left of the pic just under the radiator hose??

http://lakesidedp.com/uploadpics/pcv/
i think thats got to be the famous elbow that goes back into the top of the block

step 11 says that pipe needs connecting to the left side of the manifold

danny-R
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 17:10
yes that's the same pipe, mine was all brittle and had snapped when i changed the pcv system. i'd recommend you change yours if it hasn't been done.
parts cost about £70 for the kit.

p0xy
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 17:11
aint got £70 lol.... could i not just use silicone hose to it??

danny-R
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 17:22
aint got £70 lol.... could i not just use silicone hose to it??

possibly, you may still have to take inlet manifold though?? not sure

Al115
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 17:28
Brave guy to snap a hose and then go test-driving it... I've known someone do that and wreck quite a lot of their car...

Suggest you be careful with it until it's properly fixed, would hate it to die on you.

p0xy
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 17:42
aye i know, wont be usin it till its done... would i not get away with takin the radiator hose off to get to it??

t5 pete
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 17:50
right but 2 mtrs worth of 4mm vacune hose and then from the left hand side of the manifold just at the side of the power steering pump to wil see a silicone elbow ake this off and put one end of your new 4mm vac hose on then route the vacume hose around the front of your engine and back towards the the tree where you snaped the pipe and connect it there job done.
You can do this for under a tenner and will do the same job

p0xy
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 17:54
cheers mate will do it tomorrow :).. you all been very helpful :)

bobbych
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 17:59
i used red Silicon hose on mine, bought 6 metres of the stuff and replaced all my vacc hoses with it

p0xy
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 18:01
i found a few split pipes like and that one what was connected to the pcv was very brittle, also the bit what snapped off was full of gunk :s

t5 pete
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 18:04
if your replacing the vacume hoses for the turbo you will want internally braided hose as with heat the normal cheeper silicone hoses can collapse/expand under pressure.

bobbych
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 18:05
here is mine

http://ukmil.hopto.org/images/850/14.jpg

p0xy
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 18:07
ahh right i didnt know you needed braided ones lol... i will have to find a shop locally that sells it :s... cheers bobby for the pic its the red pipe on the right whats snapped on mine :/

bobbych
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 18:21
AS you can see, I have not used Braided ones, and yes, really, i suppose you should, but I have seen no issues on mine with these fitted. It boosts the same, runs the same, and there are no signs of the pipes streching under load

Al115
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 18:27
How are you going to see them stretching under load? You can't...

Braided is the way to go, as the man said. I guess the cost probably won't vary much, in fact it might even be cheaper for the braided non-colourful stuff... which would be nice!

t5 pete
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 18:28
here a link to the braided one's and trust me in time the standard silicone ones will do just as myne did as they get weak.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3M-x-4mm-I-D-BRAIDED-PETROL-DIESEL-FUEL-LINE-HOSE-PIPE_W0QQitemZ250508844907QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Mo torcycle_Parts?hash=item3a537d9f6b

p0xy
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 18:31
cheers mate will see if i can get some tomorrow if not i will order some off fleabay

p0xy
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 18:59
so really all i need is outer braided fuel hose??? as i can get it £1 a foot from the auto shop lol... i sound so thick :s haha

bobbych
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 19:20
so really all i need is outer braided fuel hose??? as i can get it £1 a foot from the auto shop lol... i sound so thick :s haha

as long as it is 4mm internal yes

p0xy
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 20:41
cheers mate will get some in the mornin :)

Clan998
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 21:06

Yes thats what Ive used and its is fine ...No problems whatso ever

Al115
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 21:09
Me too. Way cheaper than that sillycone stuff. Though less pretty.

t5 pete
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 21:12
Me too. Way cheaper than that sillycone stuff. Though less pretty.

there is a place that do red braided hoses but to me as long as it can do the job im happy ill find the link to the red stuff its a bit more expensive but worth it if you want it in red

t5 pete
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 21:13
here ya go it comes in a range or colours http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-5MM-ID-RED-COTTON-BRAIDED-VACUUM-BOOST-HOSE-PIPE_W0QQitemZ390153943129QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Ca rsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item5ad6fcb859

nobananas
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 21:16
Only trouble with some of the cheaper fuel hose is it can deteriorate and/or perish especially if it comes into contact with oil. (my vac and boost lines are all copper with an inch of silicone on the ends as joiners)

p0xy
Wednesday 17th February 2010, 14:54
well i done it today with fuel line (couldnt get outer braided)well i done it today with fuel line put a bit of the original pipe into 1 end of the fuel hose and used the angled rubber elbow to connect it,its running at 8psi in every gear, before this happened it was running at about 10psi in 1st/2nd and about 14 psi in 3/4/5... ive checked all the other hoses and they are ok, anyone got any ideas what it could be?

bobbych
Wednesday 17th February 2010, 14:57
it could be type of hose., as mentioned in other posts, under serious vaccuum, it could collapse restricting the air.

p0xy
Wednesday 17th February 2010, 14:59
hope not it cost me £7 lol

bobbych
Wednesday 17th February 2010, 15:04
ha, as i said, i used samco ruber tubing and it worked for me, but if you use anything except the standard piping, it is a gamble

p0xy
Wednesday 17th February 2010, 16:08
this is the way i put the pipe, could the length have anything to do with it??

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e79/p0xy/way.jpg

p0xy
Wednesday 17th February 2010, 21:23
anyone any other ideas what it could be??? the ptc in pic 1 with the arrow goin to it was blocked up so i cleaned it all out.... but still sfa anymore ideas... im gonna have to check the fuel pipe i bought as bobbych says but i dont fancy buying other stuff if its not that lol

p0xy
Thursday 18th February 2010, 09:46
engine management light is on again and i get code 121 maf sensor, could this be the problem??? cheers

t5 pete
Thursday 18th February 2010, 10:03
if your car is a standard t5 withno remap 8 psi isnt too bad at all considering the age of t5's today also when you fitted the new pipe from the maf did you happen to knock any of the little prongs inside the maf also they might be mucky and giving bad readings

p0xy
Thursday 18th February 2010, 10:17
na didnt knock any at all... it was running better before i did the pipe on it lol... it is 8psi in 1/2 and about 6psi in 3/4/5 gear.. before that it was running 8psi in 1/2 then about 14 in 3/4/5

t5 pete
Thursday 18th February 2010, 10:38
that pipe just creates a vacume from the manifold i cannot see it afecting performance it would do if there was a leak and cause rough runing i know you have routed it the long way try routing it the other way as tight as you can but i doubt that will affect it.
While you was messing around the turbo area you could have knocked or nicked a vacume pipe have a good look at them

p0xy
Thursday 18th February 2010, 12:36
just checked all the pipes and still the same.. anyone fancy havin a look at it for me for a bit beer money??? lol

bobbych
Thursday 18th February 2010, 12:58
one question, do you all have aftermarket gauges fitted? i see loads of posts quoting PSI. My Turbo is bog standard, so just have the dash gauge, so no way of telling the PSI, but it boosts halfway into the white, which i beleive is normal

p0xy
Thursday 18th February 2010, 12:59
ive got one on mine mate

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e79/p0xy/DSC01646.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e79/p0xy/DSC01463.jpg

p fandango
Thursday 18th February 2010, 13:11
one question, do you all have aftermarket gauges fitted? i see loads of posts quoting PSI. My Turbo is bog standard, so just have the dash gauge, so no way of telling the PSI, but it boosts halfway into the white, which i beleive is normal
obviously they vary a bit, but the end of the white is about 14-15psi

bobbych
Thursday 18th February 2010, 13:13
ive got one on mine mate

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e79/p0xy/DSC01646.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e79/p0xy/DSC01463.jpg

i take it, it is just tapped into the line for the standard gauge?

p0xy
Thursday 18th February 2010, 13:15
aye mate it was joined underneath the drivers side footwell and i uncoupled it and stuck the pipe on for the boost gauge

p0xy
Thursday 18th February 2010, 16:00
just lookin about, could it be a bcs faulty? would this happen if it was??

t5 pete
Thursday 18th February 2010, 17:27
Only trouble with some of the cheaper fuel hose is it can deteriorate and/or perish especially if it comes into contact with oil. (my vac and boost lines are all copper with an inch of silicone on the ends as joiners)

can you post a link up to what vac lines you have got

p0xy
Thursday 18th February 2010, 22:13
anyone?

nobananas
Thursday 18th February 2010, 22:52
can you post a link up to what vac lines you have got

Not following you pete mate ?

t5 pete
Thursday 18th February 2010, 22:54

Hey nobananas i mean the coppers lines you use

nobananas
Thursday 18th February 2010, 23:18
Hey nobananas i mean the coppers lines you use

Oh right, sorry got a bit confused !. I made them up. When I had the inlet manifold off to do the PCV system I replaced the brittle, glass like (I broke it every time I touched it !) breather pipe with 15mm standard plumbing pipe bent to shape and all the other vac pipes with combinations of copper small bore fuel pipe and brake pipe, all with flares formed on the pipe ends to prevent the silicone joiners sliding off. It worked out cheaper then replacing them all with silicone and the copper is pretty much fit and forget and I only have to keep an eye on the condition of the end joiners, also if I want to change the joiners (which I have done before when I didn't trust the cheapo silicone stuff I bought initially)I only have to buy a meter of whatever and it's all done !(don't ask me what bore pipes I used 'cause I did it 4 odd years ago and I've slept since then !)