PDA

View Full Version : powerflex wishbones.?

crespo
Monday 15th February 2010, 20:38
Has anyone done this and was it worth it.
I havent had my car long and love it but the steering on these Volvo's is absolutely s h i t e.
It feels floaty and there is no conection to the road which puts me off pressing the car. Its a shame the steering is so crap on these because it is a great car but badly let down by dead steering. It seems such a simple thing to get right which makes a huge difference to the drivability of the car.
Will powerflexing put a bit of life in the steeing or will it only firm up the suspension.?

Flash B
Monday 15th February 2010, 22:06
Hi mate,
Check the thread 'baffled by steering' that I put on just after joining. Loads of hits and loads of comments.
I was (and still am) in the same position as you.
Hope it helps...I don't know how to do the link thing.

crespo
Monday 15th February 2010, 23:17
Cheers for the heads up. I read through the thread which started out ok, Then it digressed into internet warfare. By the time i had got to the end i was no better off than when i started. The only outcome was some guy had been banned for not knowing the difference between an S60/V70 and an S80 and for being a bit of an arse to boot. Your steering issue never really was solved.

crespo
Monday 15th February 2010, 23:29
To be honest i don't think there is anything actually wrong with the steering, i think these cars actually left the factory with poor steering feel. I was just hoping that by putting on firmer bushes on the wishbones it would give a little more feel. I know what you mean by it feeling over assisted and its not very confidence inspiring and it is really noticeable when you have come from a MK3 Mondeo and an Alfa 156 before. As both cars had great steering feel and put the Volvo to shame really. Its a pity as the Volvo is nicer to look at than my old Mondeo (cant say the same for the Alfa but way more reliable) and a nicer place to sit. Its just this bloody steering lets it down. There must be something that can be done.

Flash B
Monday 15th February 2010, 23:35
I am going to do the powerflex bushes and engine mounts / strut mounts. I agree on the handling though, I came from an Italian car to the swedish boat and found the difference shocking...but the car is fantastic.
Does yours feel like the power steering has 'spurts' of input and everything goes a bit light?? Generally either positioning for a bend or when you're on the apex! I thought mine had cured itself but today it came back. I'll do the bushes and start from there I think.

The thread did start out ok, but as you say it went way off track.
If you sort it, let me know.

crespo
Monday 15th February 2010, 23:53
My steering feels way too asissted in certain situations like dead ahead and pulling away. Im going to get my mate who is a mechanic to look at the wishbones as they do wear and can be shot before you hear the tell tale clonking. And i think i will replace the bushes for powerflex to see if that makes any difference. It will do no harm and not cost a lot either. As for the engine mounts. I would be carefull with them as you can end up with unwanted vibration inside the cabin but the engine does sound nicer. I like my car quiet inside though and vibrations set my OCD in to overdrive. ha.
I will keep you posted on my progress as this is a great car just let down by really bad steering feel. If i can get the steering any better i will be chuffed.

crespo
Monday 15th February 2010, 23:57
I have also read somewhere that tyre choice can also make a difference. Im running on Pirelli P6000's and apparently they can cause iffy steering on this car. But i will try bushes first as there is still plenty of life left in these shoes and they are not cheap.

Dream3r
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 00:13
I just changed to poly wishbones and koni fsd shocks, the difference it night and day.

The turn in is slightly quicker and had transformed the car.

I never had those symptoms that you mention though. I also have changed the lower tie bar mount and polyed the top mount and fitted front and rear strut braces as well as a stay bar conversion. Vibration is minimal.

Liddo
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 09:38
I have also read somewhere that tyre choice can also make a difference. Im running on Pirelli P6000's and apparently they can cause iffy steering on this car. But i will try bushes first as there is still plenty of life left in these shoes and they are not cheap.

Ive just got shut of my P6000's as 1, they are rock hard, and 2, the road noise was really bad. Ive now got Falkens on and the car feels better now, and its a lot quieter too. I can also go over bumps without my teeth falling out!

;)

v70torslanda
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 23:38
P6000s are the spawn of Stan! Otherwise known as 'ditchfinder generals' according to Robbie H!

Speak to Robbie, Cornclose, DaveStew, Uzyg and others who have already carried out this mod and they will tell you it changes the steering response and transforms the car. I would tell you the same thing but I supply the wishbones refurbished with the PowerFlex bushes fitted - so you would expect me to say that!

My car has now done about 50k on polybushed front suspension and has just had its third MOT with them fitted. No problems at all.

J

v70torslanda
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 23:43
BTW

If you re-read that thread you will discover the meaning of the word 'troll' and that's the last I'm saying on that subject.

t5_monkey
Wednesday 17th February 2010, 15:04
P6000s are the spawn of Stan! Otherwise known as 'ditchfinder generals' according to Robbie H!

Speak to Robbie, Cornclose, DaveStew, Uzyg and others who have already carried out this mod and they will tell you it changes the steering response and transforms the car. I would tell you the same thing but I supply the wishbones refurbished with the PowerFlex bushes fitted - so you would expect me to say that!

My car has now done about 50k on polybushed front suspension and has just had its third MOT with them fitted. No problems at all.

J

I can personally vouch for the P6000 comment.

had P6000's on the front on mine in stock config (220bhp) and it felt scary, nasty and wobbly in the wet, and just about ok in the dry.

Running Vredsteins now and it feels far more managable with a lot more power and torque, even in the rain.

As for Trolls - were you feeding yourself there? :smileypul

crespo
Wednesday 17th February 2010, 17:18
I can personally vouch for the P6000 comment.

had P6000's on the front on mine in stock config (220bhp) and it felt scary, nasty and wobbly in the wet, and just about ok in the dry.

Running Vredsteins now and it feels far more managable with a lot more power and torque, even in the rain.

As for Trolls - were you feeding yourself there? :smileypul

Looks like i will have to ditch the p6000's then. Good excuse to drive it like i stole it for a while. :rally_dri

Any recomendations for good rubber.?

Dream3r
Wednesday 17th February 2010, 18:40
I'm running these, much better than goodyears on my car at least (s60 t5)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350243928202&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

LeeT5
Thursday 18th February 2010, 02:37
Any recomendations for good rubber.?

Vredestein Ultrac's my friend. Had them on my '99 V70R AWD and they were the dog's nuts! Very hard wearing, low noise and super grip. Also they look fantastic with a good square shoulder, rim protector and unique tread pattern.....

http://www.vredestein.co.uk/Banden_Bandtypes.asp?BandgroepID=1&BandtoepassingID=0&BandtypeID=1&PageID=1&UserSessionID=66342890

Going to be fitting Vredestein Sessanta on my 03 R as they don't do Ultrac in 235/35ZR18.

Best bit is they are a lot cheaper than Michelin's!!

LeeT5
Thursday 18th February 2010, 02:45
Hi mate,
Check the thread 'baffled by steering' that I put on just after joining. Loads of hits and loads of comments.
I was (and still am) in the same position as you.
Hope it helps...I don't know how to do the link thing.

I had the same 'floaty' feeling. After a visual inspection on a 4 poster lift it was blatantly obvious the Wishbone bushes were shot. Powerflex don't do the rear's for your V70 so just get oe and change the front's for powerflex. You will notice a huge difference i promise.

My droplinks are ok so didn't need to replace.

You need to check your steering track rod ends as these may be loose. Had mine changed on my 99 V70 and it made the steering more positive and less 'boat' like.

Changing the engine top mount will not alter steering feel. However it will give you greater engine torque and a nicer engine note through the cabin. will smooth out your gear changes too - big time! So well worth doing for only £20.

crespo
Thursday 18th February 2010, 12:37
I had the same 'floaty' feeling. After a visual inspection on a 4 poster lift it was blatantly obvious the Wishbone bushes were shot. Powerflex don't do the rear's for your V70 so just get oe and change the front's for powerflex. You will notice a huge difference i promise.

My droplinks are ok so didn't need to replace.

You need to check your steering track rod ends as these may be loose. Had mine changed on my 99 V70 and it made the steering more positive and less 'boat' like.

Changing the engine top mount will not alter steering feel. However it will give you greater engine torque and a nicer engine note through the cabin. will smooth out your gear changes too - big time! So well worth doing for only £20.

Cheers for the advise. Looks like i will ahve to lose the pirelli's and get the bushes power flexed. Hopefully this will improve the steering feel. I will just do the bushes first untill the pirreli's are dead as there is still about 5mil of tread left on them.

Liddo
Thursday 18th February 2010, 13:44
Cheers for the advise. Looks like i will ahve to lose the pirelli's and get the bushes power flexed. Hopefully this will improve the steering feel. I will just do the bushes first untill the pirreli's are dead as there is still about 5mil of tread left on them.

Get new tyres and Ebay your old ones. Apprantly the P6000's are great track tyres cos they last for ages! (according to the guy who bought mine)

I paid £288 fitted for 4 Falkens, and sold my old tyres, 2 good, 2 bad for £70!

;)

straight5
Thursday 18th February 2010, 16:55
Are you driving a T5 or D5? There is a world of difference between them. My T5 feels way sharper than my father in law's D5. I know I could improve the T5 further with poweflex bushes, koni fsd etc, but in the real world the compromise of handling versus comfort is bang on in my bog standard T5. Whereas I find the D5 very detached and wafty in its handling. Apologies for the non techie descriptions.

Redbrick
Thursday 18th February 2010, 17:03
My V70 D5 is now superb IMHO. I can even get a touch of oversteer!!

Bilstein B6 front shocks, powerflex wishbone bushes and IPD ARB's. Kept the standard 'sports chassis' springs as its low enough and the nivomats on the back.

crespo
Thursday 18th February 2010, 17:18
Are you driving a T5 or D5? There is a world of difference between them. My T5 feels way sharper than my father in law's D5. I know I could improve the T5 further with poweflex bushes, koni fsd etc, but in the real world the compromise of handling versus comfort is bang on in my bog standard T5. Whereas I find the D5 very detached and wafty in its handling. Apologies for the non techie descriptions.

Im driving a 2.4T. Although the previous owner has put a T5 badge on the back but i dont think that counts.:D

uglybetty
Sunday 21st February 2010, 11:17
hi crespo.

just seen your thread on this about steering.

our c70 t5 gt felt crap had my son whos a tyre fitter looking at improving it.

thought it was just ours.

he changed the tyres around around there was good khumos on the back with plenty of tread (not my choice of tyre lol)

re balanced them all lazer tracked them four ways an rebalanced them.

it did improve it a bit but it doesent feel as good as our v70 we had a while ago.

he reckons one tyre could be wearing odd so thats why we put them on the rear to see if it changed it.

the feeling you get with ours is hit any bumpy or pot holed road an it seems to vibrate, feels like an old land rover pulsing back through the steering.

as you can see from the log in name my mrs drives the car mostly but i want to get it improved as i love the t5 motor