PDA

View Full Version : Wrong pipe?

mr nutt
Monday 15th February 2010, 17:38
Hi all,Ihave a c70 2.4t and i think theres something not right about the pipes to and from the turbo
I have a hard black pipe from the grill area to the airbox,the same from the airbox to the back of the engine (turbo?) but the pipe that runs from the rear to the front isnt hard plastic,its that bendy ribbed metallic stuff,its the first turbo Ive had so please forgive if its a daft question,if this pipe is wrong how would this affect performance/mpg thanks

t5 pete
Monday 15th February 2010, 17:39
is there any chance of pics and then ill be able to let you know

mr nutt
Monday 15th February 2010, 17:44
ill get a couple tomorrow many thanks,ive tried to find some engine bay pics on the web to compare but not had much luck,on most that ive seen the pipe from the rear manifold to the front comes over the cam cover but mine goes round the side,ill get pics thanks

Wobbly Dave
Monday 15th February 2010, 21:11
doesn't sound like a turbo to me - does the pipe from the airbox to the "engine" go to the rear of the engine bay?

p fandango
Monday 15th February 2010, 21:37
if it wasn't a turbo then the pipe from the airbox would go straight to the throttle body at the front of the engine, not to the back where the turbo is. The normal piping from the turbo does go round the engine, the over the cam cover is whats called the reverse flow system

mr nutt
Monday 15th February 2010, 22:10
Yes the pipe goes to the rear (turbo thanks) and then goes to inlet,ill get a pic as the pipe that goes to the front is the one thats made out of the metallic stuff ,its completely different from the rest,Did they make non turbo c70s ?

p fandango
Monday 15th February 2010, 22:14
Yes the pipe goes to the rear (turbo thanks) and then goes to inlet,ill get a pic as the pipe that goes to the front is the one thats made out of the metallic stuff ,its completely different from the rest,Did they make non turbo c70s ?
only early 1994 cars had the turbo to intercooler pipe going directly over the top of the engine (although you can get aftermarket kits), the rest go round the engine like yours does by the sound of it. Being made of "bendy ribbed" pipe has got me a bit baffled tbh

t5 pete
Monday 15th February 2010, 22:44
myne has the arter market rip fitted does it look anything like myne

http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt39/t5pete/DSC00118.jpg

cameron
Monday 15th February 2010, 22:55
Or more like mine ?

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo159/cameron793/P181009_1506.jpg

t5 pete
Monday 15th February 2010, 22:56
i do miss the yellow lee pmsl

cameron
Monday 15th February 2010, 22:58
:finger:

:hilarious :hilarious

p fandango
Monday 15th February 2010, 23:02
i did a Google image search the other day & Camerons yellow engine bay came up

cameron
Monday 15th February 2010, 23:06
What the hell did you type in to find that :confused:

cameron
Monday 15th February 2010, 23:10
Forget it i just typed in Volvo 850 yellow engine bay and shazzaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmm there she was courtesy of Cardomain :(

The Tw@ts :grumpy:

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 00:37
I was only making sure.

ME7 engine looks like this...

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7525&d=1255707955

p fandango
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 05:06
What the hell did you type in to find that :confused:
lol sure it was when i was searching for pics of the bulkhead bracket, sorry mate wasn't actually searching for your engine bay lol

mr nutt
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 19:27
had a good look today,the pipework is as follows,from grill to airbox,the pipe from the exhaust manifold joins this before it goes in,then a pipe from the airbox goes to theinlet at the front,from what youve all said it appears to be a 2.4 non turbo although ill get the pics on to clarify,not impressed but then its my own daft fault for buying on impulse lol
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r155/HEMI-HEAD/P160210_1709.jpg

p fandango
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 19:56
yeh looking at the pic yours is a non-turbo, the ribbed pipe from the exhuast manifold will be a heater for the airbox to stop it freezing in the winter

t5 pete
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 19:59
yes unfauntly you have got a N/A engine these are very good engines tho

mr nutt
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 20:01
oh yeah good engine had one in an s80,i still love the car though,ill see how it goes and might upgrade to a t5 in a few months,thabks for all your help guys

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 22:27
Y'see - I was right all along - I kneeeeeew that the ribbed pipe was for heating.

guess you'll have to change your signature. ;)

WD rides smuggly into the sunset :P

mr nutt
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 23:01
Very well done there----smartarse lol,Thanks for the help mate

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 17th February 2010, 01:05
Don't worry i've found a few nice GT/GS models with some nice toys on the trader.

I am surprised - even late model 2002 coupes are coming in very cheap!

In any case anyone that knows me knows that I'm one of the good guys. Please feel free to take the piss when ever you like!

mr nutt
Wednesday 17th February 2010, 17:19
thats what i like ,a good sense of humour,i think ill be upgrading in a few months,dont tell the wife though shell go ape

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 18th February 2010, 00:28
tell her that the turbo was stolen and you need a car with one. better still if the original advert was a 2.4 turbo - take it back and get them under the sale of goods act, misrepresentation etc etc.

In any case you'll be able to buy a T5 for the same price for sure.