PDA

View Full Version : 850 10v sludge & oil

ngt68
Sunday 14th February 2010, 22:49
hi guys,

i've got a lot of sludge on the dipstick, and also found oil slightly spread down the exhaust manifold heat shield, it appears to have been coming from the filler cap, i'm just guessing, but is it probably a blocked 'pcv'? and if it is, does it sound like the pressure's getting bad? the engine runs sweetly, and also at the correct temp.

neil.

Tomcat
Sunday 14th February 2010, 22:51
Start it up and pull the dipstick out, if you get lots of smoke out of the dipstick then the PCV needs doing.

850 2.5 10v
Monday 15th February 2010, 13:52
Sounds possible on the PCV - do the test as TC says above.

Also:

Do you do a lot of very short journeys?

Not allowing a car up to temp will produce the 'mayonnaise'.

cheers

ngt68
Monday 15th February 2010, 19:33
Sounds possible on the PCV - do the test as TC says above.

Also:

Do you do a lot of very short journeys?

Not allowing a car up to temp will produce the 'mayonnaise'.

cheers

thanks for the reply's, to be honest, the average journey is about 10 miles on country roads, which as you say, probably explains the 'mayonnaise' dont think it helps that 'the wife' drive's her these days! will do the 'dipstick' test though.

i must admit, i love that old 850, i've got a S60 T5 now, lovely car, but she just dose'nt have the 'character' or the 'feel' of the 850, oh dear, i'm getting sentimental!

anyway, thanks chaps.

Andy G
Monday 15th February 2010, 20:32
I do short journeys as well and the thing just doesn't warm through, so is it best to change the oil more frequently and then give it an 'Italian tune up' every now and then?