PDA

View Full Version : water Leak out of heater pipe

claymore
Sunday 14th February 2010, 20:35
I seem to have water pi$$ing out of one of the heater pipes where it goes into the bulkhead, how are these fitted?

Tomcat
Sunday 14th February 2010, 20:41
Which side? engine or inside the car?. Both are just held in place by plastic clips, squeeze the clips together and the carefully wiggle the pipes free, just be carefull because there's a series of rubber o rings and plastic washers inside.

claymore
Sunday 14th February 2010, 20:45
on the outside,
i'll have a look in the morning

Volvostorm
Sunday 14th February 2010, 20:56
I;m sure I read somebody cut the connectors off, and replaced them will a rubber hose joiners and jubilee clips.

Clan998
Sunday 14th February 2010, 21:37
Which side? engine or inside the car?. Both are just held in place by plastic clips, squeeze the clips together and the carefully wiggle the pipes free, just be carefull because there's a series of rubber o rings and plastic washers inside.

Just a word of warning be careful as the pipes connect to a plastic block where they pass through the bulk head . If your to vigorous removing the heater pipes you can break the block or if the plastic is brittle with age it will break anyway and you 'll need to replace it in any case.

Its a bout £30 from rufe and comes with all the clips but you have to get at it from inside the passenger footwell by the heater matrix . Its fiddly but can be done ( you'll have to cut back the sound deadening around the fitting to get it out aswell ) remove the two pipes from the matrix and replace the plastic connecting block.

Good luck it :-)

Rich

claymore
Sunday 14th February 2010, 21:45
So to get the pipe off, do I just press the clips in and pull the pipe? I'v just had a go and the pipe is very free to turn but I can't pull it out

Tomcat
Sunday 14th February 2010, 21:57
Yup, the clip should be a light colour, just squeeze the two sides together and twist and pull gently, they are fiddly but they do work.

t5 pete
Sunday 14th February 2010, 22:05
you will see two clips just get two flat head screw drivers and prise the clips in and gently pull the pipe out

claymore
Monday 15th February 2010, 17:06
I'm buggered if I can get it to stop leaking, so I've joined the 2 pipes together till the weekend, just hope the weather isn't to cold....lol

Clan998
Monday 15th February 2010, 22:12
I'm buggered if I can get it to stop leaking, so I've joined the 2 pipes together till the weekend, just hope the weather isn't to cold....lol

Have you got a damp / wet passenger footwell ? It could be the connecting block I mentioned previously has broken ?

Rich

claymore
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 07:34
No, it's nice and dry inside, but its frosty this morning, so Im going to be cold

Clan998
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 20:34
No, it's nice and dry inside, but its frosty this morning, so Im going to be cold

Cool .... excuse the pun :-( but I reckon its just the pipes if the connnector block goes you get water down the bulkhead and usually inside aswell . Hopefully you'll just need some new clips

claymore
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 20:46
I'm going to ditch the connector block tomorrow, and just run rubber pipes through.

Clan998
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 21:02
I'm going to ditch the connector block tomorrow, and just run rubber pipes through.

I guess that would work you just need to extend the pipes and connect to the 2 metal pipes that come out of the heater matrix.

The metal pipes will disconnect under the heater box I think you need to drop the bottom of the heater box to get them out. Its only 4 torx screws ( 2 diff sizes if I remember ) They are connected into the connector bock with those yellow plastic clips .

You might need to cut some of the sound deadening back to get the connector out.

I didnt have heat in mine for about a month and it wasnt nice hope you get it sorted :-)

claymore
Sunday 21st February 2010, 15:32
You don't appreciate your heater until your without it for a week, I've now just got two pipes connecting straight through, no more connector block, and as a side bonus I've put a extra piece of pipe there for a way of routing wires and boost gauge pipe into the car.

Clan998
Sunday 21st February 2010, 18:39
You don't appreciate your heater until your without it for a week, I've now just got two pipes connecting straight through, no more connector block, and as a side bonus I've put a extra piece of pipe there for a way of routing wires and boost gauge pipe into the car.

Hey nice one glad you sorted it :-)

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 21st February 2010, 19:06
and as a side bonus I've put a extra piece of pipe there for a way of routing wires and boost gauge pipe into the car.
There's already spare trunking in through the bulkhead on each side of the engine bay, just look down where the accelerator cable goes through and you'll see some blanks, and there soe onthe other side somewhere.