PDA

View Full Version : dump valve question

1999v70r
Friday 12th February 2010, 22:55
if i fit a dump valve and blank off the vacuum pipe to the original would this disable it until my blanking plate arives? as the vacuum makes it open no vacuum means it cant open so uses just the atmos valve am i correct in saying this or not

p fandango
Saturday 13th February 2010, 01:11
no, the recirc valve relies on positive pressure from the manifold to keep the valve closed when the turbo comes onto boost. If you take the pipe off it'll get blown open & you'll lose boost

snoop69
Saturday 13th February 2010, 11:58
Get yourself a oneway valve from Halfrauds to keep the pressure in the vac
line to the re-circ.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g126/snoop69/Volvo%20V70%20T5/DSC00600.jpg

1999v70r
Saturday 13th February 2010, 12:11
could you eplain a little more ithought the re circ had to be disconnected/removed for it to work the new valve

snoop69
Saturday 13th February 2010, 12:15
Pressure in the vac line keeps the recirc closed hence the reason for the
one way valve.

The valve keeps the pressure to the recirc & boost is now dumped via the DV.

If you didnt keep pressure to the recirc you would probably get a boost leak.

1999v70r
Saturday 13th February 2010, 12:18
so could i just put the vac pipe of the new valve on the vac tree and leave the re circ

snoop69
Saturday 13th February 2010, 12:46
so could i just put the vac pipe of the new valve on the vac tree and leave the re circ

You could but it would dump from both.

Its cheap enough to install a one way valve to keep the recirc from dumping.

1999v70r
Saturday 13th February 2010, 13:14
yeah just realised what you ment should have read it properly first thanks for your help

p fandango
Saturday 13th February 2010, 15:08
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g126/snoop69/Volvo%20V70%20T5/DSC00600.jpg
your MAF's unplugged lol

snoop69
Sunday 14th February 2010, 00:48
your MAF's unplugged lol

I know lol.

It was knacked & ran sweet as a nut un-plugged confirming that the Maf
had croaked it.

p fandango
Sunday 14th February 2010, 06:15
I know lol.

It was knacked & ran sweet as a nut un-plugged confirming that the Maf
had croaked it.
i've ran with it unplugged before, purely because i forget to put it back after messing lol

HairyDave
Friday 19th November 2010, 16:14
Forgive me for bringing up an old topic, but i've just bought a DV36 off fleabay and a fitting kit for a 850t5 and was planning on using a one way valve on the line going to the re-circ so if I decide I don't like the noise I could easily convert back.
The problem is which way should the one way valve point??
The pipe is coming from the vac tree, so one would presume the re-circ is held closed using the vacuum whilst accelerating, then as the vacuum disappears(when you lift off) it releases the pressure through the valve.
So how does it convert a negative pressure to a positive pressure to hold the boost?

So should the one way valve point to keep a pressure in, or a vacuum in?

Regards, David

p fandango
Friday 19th November 2010, 16:38
you want the pressure trapped into the recirc valve so the arrow pointing towards it

HairyDave
Sunday 21st November 2010, 16:49
Cheers for clearing that up. I fitted the dv this morning, went for a spin and the car is not happy. There was a massive lag when accelerating, the tick over was lumpy and at one point it cut out with the dash looking like a christmas tree. Swapped the pipework to cut out the dv and put the recirc back in and all is fine. Apart from the lambda light on. Is this serious? Didn't think there was all that much to go wrong with this!

HairyDave
Monday 22nd November 2010, 19:24
Hehehe. Numbnuts here only went and bought the wrong valve! It's the single piston type, so is breathing throughout the dv and throwing out the ecu. This seems to have read a sensor fault. I swapped the pipework around so the one way valve is causing the dv to stay closed and after a few miles the light went out, as well as the running improving.
It sounded good though. Think I may just fork out for a new valve, garunteed to fit my car instead of messing around on the worlds biggest car boot. Think he may have swapped the part as it looks a little different to what his photo showed.....

David

gmain1967
Monday 22nd November 2010, 22:36
Hehehe. Numbnuts here only went and bought the wrong valve! It's the single piston type, so is breathing throughout the dv and throwing out the ecu. This seems to have read a sensor fault. I swapped the pipework around so the one way valve is causing the dv to stay closed and after a few miles the light went out, as well as the running improving.
It sounded good though. Think I may just fork out for a new valve, garunteed to fit my car instead of messing around on the worlds biggest car boot. Think he may have swapped the part as it looks a little different to what his photo showed.....

David

Are you sure this is a single piston valve? I'm presuming you got a Baileys DV-36, or DV-36D, both of which are twin piston type designs, specifically intended for cars with airflow meters.

Is it perhaps a DV-34 you have, which is a single piston type valve?

HairyDave
Saturday 18th December 2010, 06:29
Right. My DV-36 came yesterday. Deffo the right one as I bought it from a reputable source. Plumbed it in and the car seems to run okay and the valve seems to work, but only when the engine is under load. When I rev the engine, say at the lights, Their doesn't seem to be enough volume of air to escape. Is this because I have the low pressure engine and it Just doesn't need to vent as much and am I expecting too much?
Never seen a volvo with a DV, so not too sure what to expect.

Regards, David

p fandango
Saturday 18th December 2010, 08:35
Right. My DV-36 came yesterday. Deffo the right one as I bought it from a reputable source. Plumbed it in and the car seems to run okay and the valve seems to work, but only when the engine is under load. When I rev the engine, say at the lights, Their doesn't seem to be enough volume of air to escape. Is this because I have the low pressure engine and it Just doesn't need to vent as much and am I expecting too much?
Never seen a volvo with a DV, so not too sure what to expect.
the turbo will hardly make any pressure if the engine isn't under load so your right in theirs not enough air to escape

HairyDave
Saturday 18th December 2010, 16:00
:o It would help if I put the one way valve in the right way round! :stupid:
The black side goes towards the vacuum tree! Why did something so simple go wrong?!?! Anyway, all sorted now and my car is farting like a trooper! Hehehe!
Cheers for all your help, bunch of top geezers!

David

mightywolf
Saturday 18th December 2010, 16:00
Mines an auto and the only way i can get it to dump if i'm stood still is to rev it to 3000rpm or above and let straight off the gas.

wutang247
Thursday 30th December 2010, 20:51
have you got a picture of the one way valve fitted, cheers

HairyDave
Friday 31st December 2010, 15:35
I'll take one in the morning if i remember...
Basically it is exactly the same as the one in the picture, tee'd into the same vac pipe. Found it in Halfords, in the washer component section. The BLACK end faces the take off, not the other way like i'd done the first time. :D There is no arrow on the body, or directions on the packaging it came in.

David