PDA

View Full Version : Skew steering wheel

Flatout Phil
Friday 12th February 2010, 18:48
Its been bugging me for a while, but driving in a straight line has my steering wheel a few degrees out of horizontal - would guess it has been off at some time and been put back one spline out. Not having removed an airbagged steering wheel before, I am somewhat nervous. Could those who know advise as it is getting on my three penny bits.

Thanks!

Tomcat
Friday 12th February 2010, 18:53
Get the tracking checked/ re done, you can get the miss alignment taken out that way, rather than taking the steering wheel off and putting back on a spline further around.

Clan998
Friday 12th February 2010, 22:33
Its been bugging me for a while, but driving in a straight line has my steering wheel a few degrees out of horizontal - would guess it has been off at some time and been put back one spline out. Not having removed an airbagged steering wheel before, I am somewhat nervous. Could those who know advise as it is getting on my three penny bits.

Thanks!

If your tracking needs doing get that first .... saves your tyres too ! If thats ok its not a big jb to change the wheel .

When I changed my wheel I thought it would be a pain.

You'll need a set of torx allen keys you need a long one to undo the air bag assembley , 2 or 4 bolts, I cant remember... you get at them from behind the steering wheel with the wheel turned at 3 and 9 o'clock ( if that makes sense ) Was fiddly getting them back in and lining up the air bag to sit square in th ewheel took a few attempts I seem to remember .

I believe the wiring to the air bag or a plastic strap attached to the air bag goes back in a certain way ...think its covered in Haynes manual or on back of air bag ....not sure where though .

Think it was a 14mm socket to undo the nut and to my surprise the wheel came off real easy :-) One on an alfa 75 needed a special puller to take off :-(

I think i disconnected the battery first ....probably safest when messing with air bag !

Good luck with getting it sorted it bugged the hell out me on my Alfa 75 so much so I took it back to the garage 3 x till it was right :-(

Rich

Flatout Phil
Monday 1st March 2010, 17:08
I HATE Haynes manuals these days - why do they have so little of any use on their bog-paper pages? In the old days before they used recycled paper, manuals had useful features about the diagnosis of issues. I can only assume that they don't want to do this anymore for legal reasons. What a great thig to have a few fault finding flow charts taked into the back?
Bah!

beauford
Monday 1st March 2010, 19:16
Disconnect Battery is a must if you Value your life Ha Ha..........

rocket ronny
Monday 1st March 2010, 19:29
leave the wheel where it is and get the tracking adjusted by someone who knows what there doing, the reason its skewed is the tracking wasnt adjusted correctly

Flatout Phil
Monday 1st March 2010, 21:15
leave the wheel where it is and get the tracking adjusted by someone who knows what there doing, the reason its skewed is the tracking wasnt adjusted correctly

Yes you are right. Took it down to a Hunter equipped alignment centre and they said it was out, but largely due to a fractured rear anti-roll bar, and worn bushes on the wishbones. Interestingly, the bushes are Powerflex and have only been fitted for about 18 months so suspect they were not fitted properly.
Needless to say IPD ARBs are on way as are new new wishbones (sat in hall) and new drop links too. Track rod ends will be scrutinised too. If a jobs worth doing...

And then I get it aligned properly.