PDA

View Full Version : Best engine oil

Rich
Friday 12th February 2010, 14:01
What is the best engine oil to use, running 340bhp 19t...

cheers

Tomcat
Friday 12th February 2010, 14:35
How long is a piece of string?, it's all down to personal preference, whatever you use just make sure it's not cheap nasty stuff, always,always use a genuine Volvo filter and change it regularly.

abdul
Friday 12th February 2010, 19:41
having a good oil is good but regurealy servicing is more important

danny-R
Friday 12th February 2010, 19:58
i have an 18t and only use 10/40 magnatec, only because it get it cheap

abdul
Friday 12th February 2010, 20:07
shell helix ultra is a good oil

HADI
Saturday 13th February 2010, 14:45
shell helix ultra is a good oil

Thats what i use :wave23d:

rocket ronny
Saturday 13th February 2010, 15:46
I would without doubt use a high quality full syn in your engine , full syns are far more stable at high temps such as encountered in the turbine bearing areas, the problems occur after shutdown when heat soak causes very high temps to be reached which can cause mineral oils to coke, this coking leads to coke deposits which can restrict oil flow to the bearings and when you consider the very high rpm that the shaft reaches this can have a very serious consequence , this very problem was the reason syn oils were developed in the 1950,s for aviation use,they had serious problems with turbine bearing failures on the early gas turbine engines this was caused by coke build ups in the scavange and feed oil pipes close to the bearing sumps which was due to the fact they were still using mineral oils designed for piston engine use which could not cope with the very high tempertures in engines hot sections