PDA

View Full Version : Tuning an 850 T5

Crazy_C
Wednesday 10th February 2010, 23:09
Well I've just got my 850 T5 auto wagon not too long ago and I want to get as much power out of it as I can before going down the route of a remap.

I was thinking just the simple bits, induction kit with CAI, iridium plugs, performance leads and a manual boost controller.

Is there any other stuff that I can / should look at for some cheap starting mods to get some gains?

Cheers

WOODY T5
Wednesday 10th February 2010, 23:17
3" downpipe with decat would help mate?

Tomcat
Wednesday 10th February 2010, 23:18
You could get a decat pipe that will free up a big chunk of power, make sure that if your fitting an MBC that you fit a decent boost gauge too, the last thing you want is a bent rod. As for plugs, I've always found the original Volvo plugs and leads plenty upto the job, just make sure they're in good condition. Before you start tuning do a stage 0 first( make sure plugs, filters vac lines etc are all in good condition).

Crazy_C
Wednesday 10th February 2010, 23:19
Cool, how many cats are on the 850? Is it just the 1?

I will see about getting a decat on there after the MOT is sorted out - might get that done on Friday!!

cameron
Wednesday 10th February 2010, 23:26
1 cat and is part of the down pipe :D

Crazy_C
Wednesday 10th February 2010, 23:55
Urgh, hate cats that are a part of the downpipe, make it harder to get to :( Don't like doing more work than I have to lol

And how much boost can the stock internals run safely?

Yea, I'm gonna do a stage 0 on it. Gonna check all the bits. The air filter looks like it just came out the box, and gonna check everything else, but it looks like it's been very well cared for, despite having no service history.

Cambelt is due in the next 15k miles. I found some paperwork so yay for that, thought I was gonna have to change it sooner than that! :)

p fandango
Thursday 11th February 2010, 05:05
altho the cat is part of the downpipe its not as bad as you think, it is still possible to cut it out & replace with straight thru pipe, not like some where their bolted to the engine end of the pipe so you can't do anything with it

t5 pete
Thursday 11th February 2010, 07:24
a good exhaust shop of fabrication will be able to do a decat for you and i wouldnt expect it to be very expensive so well worth the money

Rnash2002
Thursday 11th February 2010, 08:24
Urgh, hate cats that are a part of the downpipe, make it harder to get to :( Don't like doing more work than I have to lol

And how much boost can the stock internals run safely?

Yea, I'm gonna do a stage 0 on it. Gonna check all the bits. The air filter looks like it just came out the box, and gonna check everything else, but it looks like it's been very well cared for, despite having no service history.

Cambelt is due in the next 15k miles. I found some paperwork so yay for that, thought I was gonna have to change it sooner than that! :)
You can run around 12/14 psi anything higher than that then you will probably hit fuel cut.
A remap runs a little higher boost because they take the cut out of the system and also make the boost alittle more progressive,the weak point of the engine is the rods dont like max boost between 2k rpm and 3k rpm.
Also a remap wil give you alot better throttle reponse and better mpg.

smithy
Thursday 11th February 2010, 09:29
Well I've just got my 850 T5 auto wagon not too long ago and I want to get as much power out of it as I can before going down the route of a remap.

I was thinking just the simple bits, induction kit with CAI, iridium plugs, performance leads and a manual boost controller.

Is there any other stuff that I can / should look at for some cheap starting mods to get some gains?

Cheers

best thing to do is do an stage 0 first and then get a decat or a 100 cell racecat which i would do ,then get intouch with hamish at hlm tuning and get a remap for 150 pounds .then the car is sorted for some quick power,or speak to chad,rt about a rica but dont now the price sorry

Crazy_C
Thursday 11th February 2010, 10:53
altho the cat is part of the downpipe its not as bad as you think, it is still possible to cut it out & replace with straight thru pipe, not like some where their bolted to the engine end of the pipe so you can't do anything with it

Urgh, so it's not a bolted in cat? Actually got to cut it out and weld in straigh through section? Dammit >_< I've only done decats on Jap motors so far and they're just bolted in, so makes life easier.

You can run around 12/14 psi anything higher than that then you will probably hit fuel cut.
A remap runs a little higher boost because they take the cut out of the system and also make the boost alittle more progressive,the weak point of the engine is the rods dont like max boost between 2k rpm and 3k rpm.
Also a remap wil give you alot better throttle reponse and better mpg.

That's cool then, I'll get a proper boost gauge hooked up so I can actually see what the boost I'm running is. It's 9.6psi at stock isn't it IIRC? So 12psi will give a nice boost gain :D

And definitely like the idea of more mpg, drinks gas enough as it is!! Well, by my standards it's pretty decent, but the price of the gas is somewhat offputting LOL

I know the price of the Rica, they're a bit more expensive at about £300, but RT is a lot closer to me than HLM is, and I can't go without the car for any more than a day cos of work.

Are R-Spec boost controllers any good btw? Cheers

Rnash2002
Thursday 11th February 2010, 13:00
Urgh, so it's not a bolted in cat? Actually got to cut it out and weld in straigh through section? Dammit >_< I've only done decats on Jap motors so far and they're just bolted in, so makes life easier.

That's cool then, I'll get a proper boost gauge hooked up so I can actually see what the boost I'm running is. It's 9.6psi at stock isn't it IIRC? So 12psi will give a nice boost gain :D

And definitely like the idea of more mpg, drinks gas enough as it is!! Well, by my standards it's pretty decent, but the price of the gas is somewhat offputting LOL

I know the price of the Rica, they're a bit more expensive at about £300, but RT is a lot closer to me than HLM is, and I can't go without the car for any more than a day cos of work.

All 3 of my volvos were running just over 7psi on stock bcs,you will defo feel the difference running 12psi also it will come in alot quicker.
R-spec if fine,you want the controler with the small bearing inside that these have,dont get a bleed valve that has nothing inside it.

smithy
Thursday 11th February 2010, 13:14

hlm can do it on the day you go there and they will also give the car a power run before and after to see the difference for a small fee best to give them a ring but also russ at rt does no his stuff too .i had an rspec mbc on mine good bit of kit recommended but i would still get the remap done first

Flatout Phil
Thursday 11th February 2010, 13:27
The wreckless fool that I am just says, go for the remap! Pound for pound (having dealt with obvious engine maintainance) it is the easiest and most cost effective thing to do. Mind you, I would suggest considering that cambelt - I wouldn't run it to the line just in case - penny wise - pound foolish and all that. Although I admit that you can pick up a s/h engine for about the cost of a cambelt change these days!

Flatout Phil
Thursday 11th February 2010, 13:30
Also, use Shell V-Power - the engine management retards the timing when using low octane fuels thus reducing output.

p fandango
Thursday 11th February 2010, 14:11
The wreckless fool that I am just says, go for the remap! Pound for pound (having dealt with obvious engine maintainance) it is the easiest and most cost effective thing to do.
have to disagree there mate, even with the HLM price drop getting very close i'd still say an MBC is a better bhp per £

smithy
Thursday 11th February 2010, 16:08
have to disagree there mate, even with the HLM price drop getting very close i'd still say an MBC is a better bhp per £

id still say remap first stage 0 and cambelt

Crazy_C
Thursday 11th February 2010, 19:46
HLM is so far away from me that it'd probably cost me £100 at least in fuel to get there n back!! RT would only be about £30 of fuel away :D

Next time I fill up I'll use V-power - will it get me more MPG like it actually advertises??

Sweet, I'll get an R-spec controller and a proper boost gauge installed so I can run it about 12psi :D Then I'll sort out about the decat and a cold air induction going to a performance panel filter. I've already done some adjusting on the stock air feed, but it could do with a bit more I think :D I always think that LOL

Then I'll sort out about the remap on it to get the best out of it with that stuff done :D May be a couple of months before I can afford that (well, I can't really afford anything, being -£1000 in my bank account and owing £3800 on credit cards too but hey, got one life, wanna enjoy it!)

As for the cambelt, to be honest, it looks a lot newer than the little scrap of paper I found says it is, and it looks like the radiator has been done not too long ago too, just cos of the lack of service history, I picked it up for a song, but it looks extremely well cared for. Like it was keyed on the side, the owner before last has obviously spent a lot of time sanding down, priming the area and everything and repainting it. Just used the wrong colour ever so slightly so you don't notice it unless you know it's there.

smithy
Thursday 11th February 2010, 19:47
use rt they are good but a remap is needed ask anybody

p fandango
Thursday 11th February 2010, 20:17
but a remap is needed ask anybody
nope :wink:

Crazy_C
Thursday 11th February 2010, 20:33
nope :wink:

Maybe not need, but want is a different matter all together :wink: lol

smithy
Thursday 11th February 2010, 20:47
Maybe not need, but want is a different matter all together :wink: lol

very true lol

Crazy_C
Thursday 11th February 2010, 22:41
I love power - ever since my Camaro that was totally over the top and just plain nuts on the power, I've had a major thirst for it :D

Flatout Phil
Thursday 11th February 2010, 22:52

You do have a valid point there, but the remap has a nice plug and playability feature - MBC always engender a slight nervousness in me that they can be a bit hit and miss.
Either way though, a lot of fun for not a lot of money.

LiamT4
Thursday 11th February 2010, 23:34
Have heard (from my bros 200sx club), the problem with mbc is that they can spike easy if your not carefull. e.g if your cars max safe boost is, say 16 psi, you set it up to run 15psi thinking that should be fine, but under hard accelaration in can, briefly, spike above by a couple of psi, so would be best not to go above 14psi (based on an s14). But really, as long as not your going crazy with it they should be fine.