PDA

View Full Version : dump valves

DONKEYT5
Saturday 18th June 2005, 22:26
i have an s70 '99 me7 t5, and am getting a dump valve, i know its mostly down to personal preference and not everybody likes them, but would it be ok on my car? i know the me7 is a fussy sod, and cant do things like drill airbox etc, but will the d.v be fine?
thanx, Don

Al115
Saturday 18th June 2005, 23:59
Two points:

1. You've already got a dump valve. A recirculating one.

2. ME7 cars crap themselves if an atmospheric DV is fitted. Stick to the standard one, or if you really want to change it, fit another recirculating one in its place.

Hope that helps :)

Alastair

flamingbladerider
Sunday 19th June 2005, 01:46
Hi
i have a s70 t5 1999, how can you tell if its a ME7 or not.....cheers

volvotuning
Sunday 19th June 2005, 02:29
Easy - any T5 from 1999 is ME7.

Adam.

DONKEYT5
Sunday 19th June 2005, 07:20
i did have a d.v in the past, and it worked well, but i never blanked off the re-circ valve, and everythin was fine, then after about 3 months of having it, i encountered a slight powerloss issue, but it didnt throw any engine management light, so i took the atmospheric d.v off and reset the ecu, and things were great....is the problem because i never 'blanked off' the re-circ valve? ? ?
thanx, Don! :rice:

DONKEYT5
Sunday 19th June 2005, 20:00
in addition to my last post, any idea where i can get a small 't-piece' for my 6mm internal diameter hose for my d.v?
thanx

p fandango
Sunday 19th June 2005, 20:03
in addition to my last post, any idea where i can get a small 't-piece' for my 6mm internal diameter hose for my d.v?
thanx
any car accessory shop should have something suitable, i would have thought a T-piece designed for windscreen washers would do the job

DONKEYT5
Sunday 19th June 2005, 20:29
thanx for that

rs_andy
Monday 20th June 2005, 20:17
cant drill the airbox on ME7 cars???? oops, why not?

DONKEYT5
Monday 20th June 2005, 20:31
i was led to believe it wasnt the best thing for the engine! whats ur performance like? if its ok, then i may do mine!

p fandango
Monday 20th June 2005, 21:55
i was led to believe it wasnt the best thing for the engine! whats ur performance like? if its ok, then i may do mine!
the first sensor in the air intake side of things is the maf sensor which is after the air box, so can't see why it should make a difference if you drill the air box

DONKEYT5
Monday 20th June 2005, 22:27
so if i drill my airbox, it wont have a detrimental effect on performance or throw up a light???

p fandango
Monday 20th June 2005, 22:32
so if i drill my airbox, it wont have a detrimental effect on performance or throw up a light???
tbh i don't know sh*t about ME7, but i can't see what difference it will make to the maf sensor if you have an std airbox, drilled airbox, cone filter or even a pair of tights over the pipe, air is air which is all its there to measure

DONKEYT5
Monday 20th June 2005, 22:34
i may just give it a go! cheers for the help! ive also ordered my itg panel filter today(finally) so another small mod to my list

Majesticpower
Wednesday 22nd June 2005, 18:29
Wouldnt it be possible, and/or easier to replace the dump valve on the turbo?

I was thinking this may be a safer bet? Dont suppose anyone knows any decent ones that let of abit of a 'whooosh' for the job?

MP.

Goof
Wednesday 22nd June 2005, 18:54
Make a CD with loads of "whoosh" sounds and play that - far easier and not so annoying! ;)

gillespie
Wednesday 22nd June 2005, 18:56
It would not be possible to fit a dump valve to the turbo as it is just a diaphram that puts the unwanted boost pressure from the turbine housing to the inlet duct, thats why if you put a cone filter on it sounds like you have fitted a dump valve as the boost air is heard through the filter. I have a k&n cone filter, bailey dv26 dump valve, Kalmar union blanking plate and straight through exhaust on my S70R and it all gives off a good note both under the bonnet and from behind. I also have the same story about the loss of power on two other T5s, Why is this? i never got mine going as good again and sold them because of this problem, Will the S70R do the same? How can it be fixed?

John Ret.
Wednesday 22nd June 2005, 20:18
Surely it can't do irreparable damage, can it? Won't it just be a case of resetting the ECU? Seems a bit harsh to sell 2 cars because of a DV?

I've heard of MR2 turbos running fine with MAF and DVs.

Also, why did volvo keep MAF and not move to a better air measuring device such as MAP?

Or did they!?

John

gillespie
Wednesday 22nd June 2005, 21:27
I am not blaming the dump valve for the problems I had, The problem could lie in something else, it just seems a coincidence that other people have had the same problem after fitting one. I have a mate in a volvo dealer who cleared the ecu of all the faults ( service light and overboost controll were the only things registerd ) but no improvement was made on either vehicle. this has not stopped me fitting one to my present R.