PDA

View Full Version : Aircon Compressor Short

bobbych
Monday 8th February 2010, 11:24
Hi, I am after some help. I need to short out the AIRCON Compressor to test it, as my aircon is currently not working

At present I all I have been told is to short out the black and grey wire on the bulkead?

now, a quick look under my bonnet, and I cannot locate this. Can anyone post a pic of where this plug is to make it easier for me to locate?

nick
Monday 8th February 2010, 11:45
picture attached of the low pressure switch. just remove the connector and short it out for a few seconds (i used a short length of wire but a paperclip will do )

i had the same issue (and still do !!) but this kicked the aircon compressor in

hth

nick

bobbych
Monday 8th February 2010, 11:48
thanks, thats great. I just need to confirm my compressor will start before diagnosing further

nick
Monday 8th February 2010, 11:54
no probs. if you get any more info on your non-working aircon i would be interested as mine is playing up again.

bobbych
Monday 8th February 2010, 11:55
no probs will post what i find.

mattp
Monday 8th February 2010, 13:10
When I bought my 850 the aircon didn't work, I had it regassed last august and it all looked promising, the bit of kit that regassed it ran loads of tests for leaks and the guy doing it went over it with a UV light (part of the regas included putting a UV dye in the system to make leaks easy to spot), everything seemed fine. It worked fantastically for about a month, then it packed up again, I have a feeling the unit inside the heater system (evaporator?) has a slight leak as this was the only part of the system they can't get to to look over it with the UV.

Thought I'd give you my experiences of the system, hope it's of some help. I might have another go at it this year.

bobbych
Monday 8th February 2010, 13:12
ok, some success, i shortened the Plug, and compressor ran no problems. So I put a gauge on the LP point, and it was reading low, so I assume that a recharge would fix it.

however, when I switched off the engine, i could hear a hiss from the compressor area, and piping, is this normal, or do i have a leak?

also, if i go to kwikfit for a recharge, and it is leaking, will they charge me?

regards

nick
Monday 8th February 2010, 13:14
When I bought my 850 the aircon didn't work, I had it regassed last august and it all looked promising, the bit of kit that regassed it ran loads of tests for leaks and the guy doing it went over it with a UV light (part of the regas included putting a UV dye in the system to make leaks easy to spot), everything seemed fine. It worked fantastically for about a month, then it packed up again, I have a feeling the unit inside the heater system (evaporator?) has a slight leak as this was the only part of the system they can't get to to look over it with the UV.

Thought I'd give you my experiences of the system, hope it's of some help. I might have another go at it this year.

that sounds just like mine - worked for a bit then packed up again with no sign of a leak. i suspect the evaporator too - a right pain in the a$$ to get to.

has anyone changed one ? and if so, what does it involve. any idea of cost for an independent volvo garage to look at it ?

nobananas
Monday 8th February 2010, 14:38
Actually the evaporator isn't a bad job, far easier then most seem to think. Yes the complete dashboard has to come out but it comes out as one piece, there is a line of bolts under the wiper panel and a few down the kick panels then a bunch of multi-coloured multi-plugs to undo under the drivers side and the whole lot comes out, you don't need to unplug anything on the dash !. I'll dig out some piccies when I get a minute.

bobbych
Monday 8th February 2010, 14:42
i think i will get into Kwikfit before the summer for a recharge and go from there. At least now i know the Compressor is spinning ok, and not a clutch issue

nobananas
Monday 8th February 2010, 15:18
Not really a 'how too' but a few pics if anyone's thinking of doing their evaporator.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m279/nobananas000/dashboardout.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m279/nobananas000/dashboardonfloor.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m279/nobananas000/Heaterunitout.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m279/nobananas000/Newevap.jpg

rocket ronny
Monday 8th February 2010, 17:44
odds on its a leaking evap ,very common failure

bobbych
Monday 8th February 2010, 17:45
odds on its a leaking evap ,very common failure

there was a distinct hiss down by the compressor area not in the cabin

nick
Monday 8th February 2010, 18:17
if i get the orange flashing lights on the ECC unit does the aircon not work until the fault codes are read & cleared ?.

i ask only because i don't have a reader and thought the ECC unit may have gone into a 'safety' mode - like the ECU does when it detects some faults

i am grasping at straws really and hoping that its not the evaporator !! - can i remove the top of the dashboard separately and if so, is there space to shine my UV light down onto the evaporator to see if it's leaking without removing the whole dashboard ?

i think a trip to the garage is in order....:frown:

nobananas
Monday 8th February 2010, 18:25
if i get the orange flashing lights on the ECC unit does the aircon not work until the fault codes are read & cleared ?.

i ask only because i don't have a reader and thought the ECC unit may have gone into a 'safety' mode - like the ECU does when it detects some faults

i am grasping at straws really and hoping that its not the evaporator !! - can i remove the top of the dashboard separately and if so, is there space to shine my UV light down onto the evaporator to see if it's leaking without removing the whole dashboard ?

i think a trip to the garage is in order....:frown:

Afraid not. The way I found out was to have the system gassed then used a 'sniffer' around the pump and all the other A/C components and it went off when it was waved round the air vents....yay !. After fitting the new evap had it regassed to find the pump was leaking, changed the pump had it regassed to find the clutch still wouldn't kick in, sorted that and now I really have stopped caring whether it works or not !

nick
Monday 8th February 2010, 18:27
lol - i may end up thinking that way soon !!

bobbych - sorry for hijacking your thread - i guess we're both looking for a similar end result though

bobbych
Monday 8th February 2010, 20:21
lol - i may end up thinking that way soon !!

bobbych - sorry for hijacking your thread - i guess we're both looking for a similar end result though

no worries mate, i am in same boat, if a regass does not hold, stuff it