PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Steering Wheels

Crazy_C
Sunday 7th February 2010, 23:56
Cheers for all the help in this thread - here is the result of my efforts :D

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/bkcr1/IMAG0136.jpg

I'm wanting to fit a Momo steering wheel into my 850 T5 estate, but it has airbags in it.

I have been told by some friends that I can fool the system by putting a resistor in in place of the airbag. Does this work with Volvos? Cos I have been told by another mate that on Volvos, without the airbag in, they trip and go into a safety mode thing where they won't go over like 1200rmpm or something like that.

If the resistor trick will work, does anyone know what size resistor I need, and where it needs to go?

I've never owned a car with airbags that I've modified before so never had this dilemma lol

Cheers

p fandango
Monday 8th February 2010, 00:14
i'd only got the steering wheel airbag so wasn't to worried ab out keeping the system happy, guess you've got passenger side as well then?

but i simply removed the airbag & left it all unplugged, it doesn't limit the engine in anyway it'll just bring on your SRS fault light on the dash

JUDGENINJA
Monday 8th February 2010, 00:14
mr P fandango has an aftermarket one on his (well he used to)... He never had any issues.

p fandango
Monday 8th February 2010, 00:20
lol beat ya

mr P fandango has an aftermarket one on his (well he used to)... He never had any issues.
decided even tho its heavy i'd better keep a steering wheel lol

Crazy_C
Monday 8th February 2010, 00:37
Yea, mine has all the airbags, side ones etc... but I hate, loathe and detest airbags. I'd rather headbutt the window than have an airbag punch me in the face (I have mates who have been permanently blinded, scarred, deafened by them, plus broken noses and even one broken jaw!!!!)

I'm not worried about the light or anything, but I know that electronic systems on cars can be waaaay too fussy at times.

But fair enough, if it just brings up the warning light then that's no worry to me.

p fandango
Monday 8th February 2010, 00:53
I'm not worried about the light or anything, but I know that electronic systems on cars can be waaaay too fussy at times.

But fair enough, if it just brings up the warning light then that's no worry to me.
you think the electrics on 850's are fussy then you should try an S60 lol.

I think once its detected the fault (ie airbag missing) the light will come on & think it will disable the whole airbag system but it won't limit the engine power (well it didn't on mine)

Crazy_C
Monday 8th February 2010, 01:32
Hahaa, mate, I've had a Renault Kangoo - I had someone reverse into the front of me, the gearbox ECU went down the drain. I tried to start it once with the lights on, stereo on, and door open and a fuse blew meaning that it wouldn't start at all. Countless sodding fuses under the hood on it, and just one (a 3A one too!!!!!) had blown and meant the engine wouldn't fire!!

I miss the days of no ECUs :( Never had to worry about stuff being fussy like that haha

Cheers though, bought a boss off a mate of mine for £30 (including postage :D ) so can't complain there, will give it a shot and see what happens!

Crazy_C
Friday 12th February 2010, 15:43
Okay, so got a boss kit off a mate of mine from his 850 T5 and I can't seem to get it to fit. The boss has like a tab that sticks out, and it just won't fit because of it.

It seems to foul on where the cable from the airbag goes to some black plastic thing. Do I need to remove this for the boss to fit?

Cheers

p fandango
Friday 12th February 2010, 15:58
i took all the cabling & the clear plastic thing out from inside the column, got a feeling i filed some of it out as well

Crazy_C
Friday 12th February 2010, 16:04
So just gotta get rid of all the crap that's there? Do I need to remove anything to do that? Or need to make sure I need to leave anything on there?

I've never done this on an airbagged car before so dunno what to leave and what to get rid of lol

Also, does it require taking the surround off, or can I just leave it on and just have the wheel off to get the bits off?

castellsmith123
Friday 12th February 2010, 16:15
You will have to tell your insurance company as you are changing the spec of the car! It's a legal requirment to tell them!

p fandango
Friday 12th February 2010, 16:15
i took the cowling off to do mine, about 4-6 screws underneath. TBH i can't remember exactly what else i did, was a few years ago now

sorry mate

p fandango
Friday 12th February 2010, 16:16
You will have to tell your insurance company as you are changing the spec of the car! It's a legal requirment to tell them!
as you do with any modification

Crazy_C
Friday 12th February 2010, 17:27
Yea, I know this. It's actually a security device I'm installing as it's a snap off steering wheel so will raise my insurance a bit having an aftermarket steering wheel, and then lower it cos it's removed when the car is parked lol

volvoboyt5
Friday 12th February 2010, 23:25
i have done this a few weeks ago ,,

disconect the battery

remove cowling

look behind the wheel and you will see some 8mm nuts ,, spin the wheel to make it easier for each one ..

remove airbag

now it time to center up the steering , i usually center it up and drive forwards and back a couple of times ( if on a flat surface ) ..

undo the nut and pull the wheel off , this can be easy or hard .. watch you dont smash yourself in the nose if you gotta pull to hard and it flys off!!!

theres a plastic ring thing wich you will need to remove ..

and re.rout the horn wire to a new switch because on mine the wire didnt come up through the center of the column

fit your new boss and wheel .. refit cowling and battery .. .. job done ..

Volvostorm
Friday 12th February 2010, 23:51
Who makes the boss?

Wouldn't mind a aftermarket steering wheel for mine

p fandango
Saturday 13th February 2010, 01:09
Who makes the boss?

Wouldn't mind a aftermarket steering wheel for mine
Momo

Crazy_C
Saturday 13th February 2010, 02:16
Mine's off an old BTCC one, so I'm not sure who makes it. Tell ya something though, it's the thickest metal I've ever seen on a boss kit in my life, must be 12 - 14mm thick in places!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers for that guide, very useful, give me something to do on my lunch break tomorrow. Airbag is already out for making the job quicker n easier :D

Crazy_C
Saturday 13th February 2010, 18:30
Cheers for the help, I now have my Momo carbon fibre steering wheel on and it's sooo much nicer than the stock one :D

Just gotta sort out about a horn button now lol

Crazy_C
Sunday 14th February 2010, 00:32
Thanks to everyone for the help - I have been driving the car with the new wheel on and it feels so much better and a much nicer drive :D

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/bkcr1/IMAG0136.jpg

Cheers guys :D