PDA

View Full Version : Do I Need New Clocks?

v70torslanda
Friday 5th February 2010, 22:10
I think my D5 has 'Dead Clocks Syndrome'. AR5E! :(

It started a while ago with the loss of the seat belt warning light but the chime still working. Then the trip meter would not cycle between T1 & T2 and would instead do 'phantom resets', really annoying when you are trying to monitor overall trip mileage to calculate expenses. Now when I start the engine the clock starts to fast wind backwards and the only way to stop it is to slap the hood over the instruments! :nutkick:

I seem to remember from my time at the dealership that the clocks can't be repaired or refurbished - no parts are available - and I'm also frightened to ask how much, I can see the bill heading into 4 figures. :hidesbehi

So has anyone any solutions or is it nightmare time? :eek:

Rufe! You got mail!

luv'n'stuff

John

cornclose
Friday 5th February 2010, 22:50
Oh dear, that sounds like a PITA...

v70torslanda
Friday 5th February 2010, 22:54
Oh dear, that sounds like a PITA...

Aye! Proper feckin' expensive too.

Guess what? You can't fit used clocks cos its a software issue.

Faggin bastidge!

Redbrick
Friday 5th February 2010, 23:16
BBA Reman will fix them for about £200.

http://www.bba-reman.com/catalogue/Products.aspx?category=675

Clan on the VOC quotes about £550 for a new one. I had a new one under warranty and was then kicked in the nuts for the software update as that wasn't covered.

Just one of those many P2 niggles.

v70torslanda
Friday 5th February 2010, 23:40
OK so it may not be as bad as I first thought.

Think I'm going to wait until they give real problems and can't function without them . . .

cornclose
Saturday 6th February 2010, 08:52
What exactly is it that 'fails' on these units then ? They're obviously fixable if someones fixing them...

timbo_1975
Saturday 6th February 2010, 10:11
Another vote for BBA. Good firm.

v70torslanda
Saturday 6th February 2010, 10:33
What exactly is it that 'fails' on these units then ? They're obviously fixable if someones fixing them...

I was told it is a circuit board that cracks but Volvo won't source or sell it. Bit like ETMs, Volvo are pretending there isn't a problem but if enough units fail in the States they might have to do something about it . . .

cornclose
Saturday 6th February 2010, 12:32
Should be easy to repair then if that's all it is.

t5 stealth
Saturday 6th February 2010, 14:55
another symptom is the main beam light (blue) wont light up when you flash main beam,there is a problem with the dash cluster on these.

v70torslanda
Saturday 6th February 2010, 15:48
Forgot about that! Yes, that has a mind of its own also. . .