PDA

View Full Version : Slight annoying rattle, solution?

Majesticpower
Friday 17th June 2005, 22:41
I have this slight annoying rattle at the rear near side of my car.

Basically its the door panel which seems abit loose.

What i want to know though, is what can i use or do to solve the problem, as there doesnt seem to be any screws to tighten, as they are held in by those silly plastic screws it seems.

Any help appreciated,

MP.

mraldonnelly
Saturday 18th June 2005, 09:43
Hi MP,

If it's the door trim, remove the trim and stick felt tape on all the egdes that make contact with the door.

I'd also recommend getting some new clips from Volvo as you may break one or two when removing the trim. Also, there may be some missing which could be the cause of the rattle in the first place.

Felt tape is the way to go though. It usually cures squeeks and rattles (the difficult bit is finding the bloody rattle first).

Regards

Andy

Majesticpower
Saturday 18th June 2005, 12:16
Thanks for that mate.

Yeh i have found where the slight rattle is coming from. So would the felt tape help hold it in place or just soften the blow so to speak?

MP.

mraldonnelly
Saturday 18th June 2005, 13:55
Depends on the gap between the door and the trim. If only tiny then yes, it will fill the gap otherwise it'll just soften the blow.

It may just be that the clips are tired and have got too much give in them which if so, a combination of new clips and felt tape should sort it no problem. If there's still give, the soft surface of the felt tape should deaden the annoying sounds that come from two hard surfaces knocking together.

Are you sure there's nothing loose behind the trim? It could be a wiring connector that's freed itself from its mounting or something similar.

Regards

Andy

HuskMan
Monday 20th June 2005, 21:59
Got to say that the rattles in my car drive me nuts. Sounds like the whole bloody thing is shaking to pieces. Endless hours chasing rattles and squeaks, applying glue and tape...

If is wasn't so much damn fun I'd have binned teh car years ago.

Majesticpower
Friday 24th June 2005, 22:27
Do Halfords sell felt tape? Cos im struggling to find someone who sells it on google?

MP.

rs_andy
Saturday 25th June 2005, 18:20
you can buy rolls of velcro just one side at a time, the fuzzy side of that should do the trick. on the net, let me see......

http://search.ebay.co.uk/felt-adhesive_W0QQsofocusZbsQQsbrftogZ1QQfromZR10QQsaca tZ-1QQcatrefZC6QQsargnZ-1QQsaslcZ3QQsadisZ200QQfposZdn22Q209naQQga10244Z10 425QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQfsopZ1QQfsooZ1

good old ebay!

good luck with the rattles, I should sort my drivers door out rather than just giving it the elbow.

flamingbladerider
Saturday 25th June 2005, 23:28
You can also use rubber draft excluder, the one that has one side that peels off and has glue on it