PDA

View Full Version : fuel pump

leet5r
Tuesday 2nd February 2010, 14:12
whats the tell tale signs that your fuel pump is on the way out,
a was out inthe car the other day and it was running fine , i stopped to go into a shop and when i came out it would not start, the car was turning over but wasnt firing, i towed the car home and it started with a bump on the tow
it done the same today aswell in a multi story car park ,a got the car towed home and checked to see if it was sparkin and it is and a took the fuel pipe off and it chucks the fuel out so am a bit stuck here guys , any ideas oh and the engine management light has come on and its startin okay aswell , could this be the fuel pump

Porcine_Aviator
Tuesday 2nd February 2010, 15:00
Could be muck on the fuel line before the pump or same in filter that gets pull through after a short run.

leet5r
Tuesday 2nd February 2010, 17:26
Could be muck on the fuel line before the pump or same in filter that gets pull through after a short run.

a think it could be the crank sensor like

p fandango
Tuesday 2nd February 2010, 17:28
my crank sensor would start sometimes then not others before it finally gave up, it did throw the right code saying it was the sensor

leet5r
Tuesday 2nd February 2010, 19:11
my crank sensor would start sometimes then not others before it finally gave up, it did throw the right code saying it was the sensor

it donee it the other day like pal but it had very little petrol in and was on a angle like so a put it down to petrol like cos it bumped straight away , me friend has a snap on code reader or what ever it is lol so fingers crossed its that , lol the looked well low on the recovery van like lol al get some pics up soon

Volvostorm
Tuesday 2nd February 2010, 19:14
Mine didn't give a warning, it just went! :(

They are easy to change, took mine out, tapped, starting working again, last 2 days and died, it now has a good 2nd hand one.

leet5r
Tuesday 2nd February 2010, 19:23

They are easy to change, took mine out, tapped, starting working again, last 2 days and died, it now has a good 2nd hand one.

where you get the fuel pump from and how much was it

Volvostorm
Tuesday 2nd February 2010, 19:42
Got it off ebay

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/volvo-850-spares__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Spoke to him as well, nice helpful bloke, mine cost £27 delivered

callyuk
Tuesday 2nd February 2010, 21:35

Had two go on me on two seperate 850's and both where the same as you no warning at all just went never paid over £15 of ebay for one though.
lee from what you are saying it would sound more like the fuel pump relay to me check to see if you can hear it clicking in when you switch the ignition on when the problem happens again. its located under the fuse box under the bonnet.
oh and pedro we worked out it was your camshaft sensor remember not the crankshaft one lol

leet5r
Tuesday 2nd February 2010, 22:06
Had two go on me on two seperate 850's and both where the same as you no warning at all just went never paid over £15 of ebay for one though.
lee from what you are saying it would sound more like the fuel pump relay to me check to see if you can hear it clicking in when you switch the ignition on when the problem happens again. its located under the fuse box under the bonnet.
oh and pedro we worked out it was your camshaft sensor remember not the crankshaft one lol

dont here much m8 , some times a buzz from when the headlight wiper motor sticks , but apart from that a dont think a did hear much like , where is the fuel pump relay liek

callyuk
Tuesday 2nd February 2010, 22:12
is under the bonnet where your fuse's are. if you lift the bonnet and stick your ear by the fuse box then turn the ignition on but dont crank it (easier if there are 2 of you) you should hear a click if not then the relay is not engaging

leet5r
Tuesday 2nd February 2010, 22:55
is under the bonnet where your fuse's are. if you lift the bonnet and stick your ear by the fuse box then turn the ignition on but dont crank it (easier if there are 2 of you) you should hear a click if not then the relay is not engaging

cheers bud al have a look tomo

callyuk
Tuesday 2nd February 2010, 22:58
it is a fairly common fault on them

nobananas
Tuesday 2nd February 2010, 23:39
Mine gave no warning either, just stranded the wife at the side of the road on her way to work !. Got one off GSF for about 50 quid (I was desperate) but I wasn't that impressed by the quality of it but so far (it's been a couple of weeks) it's been ok.

t5 stealth
Tuesday 2nd February 2010, 23:43
just get in the car,shut the door & make sure no sterio or heater etc is switched on....so its nice & quiet inside the car....
then turn on the ignition but dont start it....you should here the faint buzz for a few seconds....thats the fuel pump...
if you hear the buzz then the relay is working.....& you should have fuel pressure

leet5r
Tuesday 2nd February 2010, 23:57
just get in the car,shut the door & make sure no sterio or heater etc is switched on....so its nice & quiet inside the car....
then turn on the ignition but dont start it....you should here the faint buzz for a few seconds....thats the fuel pump...
if you hear the buzz then the relay is working.....& you should have fuel pressure

cheers peps hope a get this sorted like , its okay when the cars runnin

bigman
Wednesday 3rd February 2010, 01:19
hi mine just went came out of friends house car would not start m8 towed me home nxt day took it out got it going, next day gone bought second hand one been fine since but would change fuel filter tho as mine was clogging which was cause of pump i think....

p fandango
Wednesday 3rd February 2010, 07:44
lol, you got it running again now then?

callyuk
Wednesday 3rd February 2010, 09:37
yep all problems where down to that bloody relay at the front on top of the rad. completly burt out inside

leet5r
Wednesday 3rd February 2010, 09:37
lol, you got it running again now then?

yes m8 its been fine since it wouldnt start and waas fine for a week after the last time , just had the codes read like , it came back with a few but 1 of them was the camshaft sensor , so we cleared the codes and see if it does it again then we will be able to sort it out , al let you know what happens like bud

leet5r
Wednesday 3rd February 2010, 09:38
yep all problems where down to that bloody relay at the front on top of the rad. completly burt out inside

it read 1 of those codes aswell m8

callyuk
Wednesday 3rd February 2010, 09:51
nope no codes where read in the end and as a temp repaire the guy has soldered the relay back together and i have no lights up on the dash