PDA

View Full Version : V70 T5 Vs 855 T5

sebasteeno
Monday 1st February 2010, 16:43
Im not asking which is the better here but what are the differences? Im doing so because my R reg V70 appears to of had another T5 engine from an 850 fitted as it feels a lot different in its power delivery compared to my brothers R reg V70 T5.

Am i right in thinking that the V70 was 240bhp and the 855 was 225bhp? Am i also right in thinking that the V70 was mapped differently to give a more progressive power band compared to the 855 which is sort of all or nothing and how my car seems to spool up?

Where there any other differences too?

jdavis
Monday 1st February 2010, 17:00
IIRC the V70 had a different turbo to the earlier t5's. also the later P1 V70's were ME7 too. if yours is ME7 and your brothers is pre ME7 or vice-versa you may notice the difference.

sebasteeno
Monday 1st February 2010, 17:03
IIRC the V70 had a different turbo to the earlier t5's. also the later P1 V70's were ME7 too. if yours is ME7 and your brothers is pre ME7 or vice-versa you may notice the difference.
Both pre ME7

Bob France
Monday 1st February 2010, 17:24
As I understood it from the tech guy at the stealership where I bought my 1995 225bhp 855 GLE the V 70 was "toned down" to make the power delivery smoother,as opposed to a bit "brutal"which is how he described the 850.I am not an expert on this as I have only had a spin in JELT'S V70 which although "brutal"on delivery it has been modded[mbc,different intake,etc].Either way,I think the difference in performance figures[as I recall],was minimal.
I hope this helps.

simpT5
Monday 1st February 2010, 20:17
My T5 is an ME7 and I would definatly descibe it's power delivery as brutal, so much so I think it might have been remapped by a previous owner?

In comparison, my father in law has a pre ME7 '97 P reg V70 T5, allthough it does feel quick, you don't get the same kick in the back when the turbo comes in.

PNuT
Tuesday 2nd February 2010, 06:41
a standard car will feel slow after a properly running & mapped car :)

JelT5
Tuesday 2nd February 2010, 12:16
As I understood it from the tech guy at the stealership where I bought my 1995 225bhp 855 GLE the V 70 was "toned down" to make the power delivery smoother,as opposed to a bit "brutal"which is how he described the 850.I am not an expert on this as I have only had a spin in JELT'S V70 which although "brutal"on delivery it has been modded[mbc,different intake,etc].Either way,I think the difference in performance figures[as I recall],was minimal.
I hope this helps.

The V70T5 had a standard power figure of 240bhp as opposed to the 850T5's 225bhp.
Mine's an auto so the power delivery is smoother (-ish) with MBC and HLM remap combo...however I have killed one gearbox already due to over exuberance when drag racing lol
PM'd you Bob :)

Al115
Tuesday 2nd February 2010, 12:19
You won't be able to tell if it's had an engine change by the way it "feels".

Check the engine number and ask a dealer to compare it with the chassis number for you, is the only way to be sure.

sebasteeno
Tuesday 2nd February 2010, 14:59
You won't be able to tell if it's had an engine change by the way it "feels".

Check the engine number and ask a dealer to compare it with the chassis number for you, is the only way to be sure.

My post is more to do with the fact that my car accelearates a lot differently to my brothers yet both are R reg V70 T5s and was asking about engine charachteristics as mines had an engine swap. I actually dont like mine and much prefer my brothers smoother power band as opposed to mines all or nothing.