PDA

View Full Version : Tc's 960 Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Tomcat
Sunday 31st January 2010, 21:52
Ok as some of you may know I've just bought a 960 saloon, I've been after one for ages and finally bought one cheap over the weekend. It's an 2.5 Se nd it's got a manual gearbox. Plans are to get a descent exhaust system made up, better intake (cold air feed), lower it, fit better/bigger alloys, tints and a few other body mods.....

Here's a rather poor picture I took in the semi dark today, ignore the strange colour of the bonnet, that's frost (And the bonnet's going in the bin anyway).

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/074.jpg

It needs a bonnet, a bumper, a grill(which I have cheers Pete), The plastic surround the grill mounts to, a full set of speakers (they have been removed by the last owner) an electric aerial and a set of front discs...

smithy
Sunday 31st January 2010, 22:05
Ok as some of you may know I've just bought a 960 saloon, I've been after one for ages and finally bought one cheap over the weekend. It's an 2.5 Se nd it's got a manual gearbox. Plans are to get a descent exhaust system made up, better intake (cold air feed), lower it, fit better/bigger alloys, tints and a few other body mods.....

Here's a rather poor picture I took in the semi dark today, ignore the strange colour of the bonnet, that's frost (And the bonnet's going in the bin anyway).

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/074.jpg

It needs a bonnet, a bumper, a grill(which I have cheers Pete), The plastic surround the grill mounts to, a full set of speakers (they have been removed by the last owner) an electric aerial and a set of front discs...

it will be good when it is done and its manual.if you need any help mate you know were i am ps nice motor and manual lucky sod

t5 pete
Sunday 31st January 2010, 22:09
looking forward to seeing it lowered on pegs what you going to do tc cut the springs or buy a kit

cameron
Sunday 31st January 2010, 22:11
Think it'll look the mutts once you have finished with it, any plans for airbrushing ?

Tomcat
Sunday 31st January 2010, 22:13
looking forward to seeing it lowered on pegs what you going to do tc cut the springs or buy a kit

There's a guy selling GMAX springs on ebay for about £130, they're supposed to be progressive sports springs, but it doesn't say if it lowers the car or by how much, may just keep looking for now, it's getting the Pegs put on tomorrow, I was going to re paint them but I think I'll leave that until summer.

Tomcat
Sunday 31st January 2010, 22:14
Think it'll look the mutts once you have finished with it, any plans for airbrushing ?

May have a go at the spark plug cover, but that'll be it for now, too much else needs doing yet.

t5 pete
Sunday 31st January 2010, 22:15
it will look loads better once the pegs are on and tbh at the mo if it stands too hight with the pegs ide cut the springs down as a tempory measure

smithy
Sunday 31st January 2010, 22:16
There's a guy selling GMAX springs on ebay for about £130, they're supposed to be progressive sports springs, but it doesn't say if it lowers the car or by how much, may just keep looking for now, it's getting the Pegs put on tomorrow, I was going to re paint them but I think I'll leave that until summer.

check the back suspension if it is irs then it has a leaf spring on there just check first if i was you mate

Tomcat
Sunday 31st January 2010, 22:18
Yeah I'm gonna have a look first chance I get, don't fancy crawling around in the snow at the minute,lol.

t5 pete
Sunday 31st January 2010, 22:18
i wish we had some snow

smithy
Sunday 31st January 2010, 22:24
i wish we had some snow

no thanks keep the snow tc

MIKESC70T5
Sunday 31st January 2010, 22:29
Since your going down the chav it up route, don't forget the under car neons,flame graphics down the side,chrome spinners instead of the pegs,8 inch big bore exhaust tip,plastic immitation brembo brake caliper covers,38" sub in the boot,whale tail boot spoiler,carbon bonnet and a windscreen sunstrip saying something tacky.

I'll get my coat lol.

smithy
Sunday 31st January 2010, 22:33
Since your going down the chav it up route, don't forget the under car neons,flame graphics down the side,chrome spinners instead of the pegs,8 inch big bore exhaust tip,plastic immitation brembo brake caliper covers,38" sub in the boot,whale tail boot spoiler,carbon bonnet and a windscreen sunstrip saying something tacky.

I'll get my coat lol.

na tc is going the same route as mine serious street sleeper with a kick in its tail lol

MIKESC70T5
Sunday 31st January 2010, 22:49
na tc is going the same route as mine serious street sleeper with a kick in its tail lol

I hope your right mate, just the talk of g-max springs,window tints and body mods reminds me of citreon saxo boy racers and max power magazines from 15 years ago

Tomcat
Sunday 31st January 2010, 22:52
Zzzzzz change the record, I've heard this one before.

As for the Gmax, so far I don't seem to be left with many other options for lowering the car, there doesn't seem to be many companies selling parts for them (over here at any rate).

t5 pete
Sunday 31st January 2010, 22:54
I hope your right mate, just the talk of g-max springs,window tints and body mods reminds me of citreon saxo boy racers and max power magazines from 15 years ago

Hasnt yours got body mods such as the jewl head lights larger wheels and lowering springs just think if you get some window tints you will be all sorted for max power.

smithy
Sunday 31st January 2010, 23:05
Zzzzzz change the record, I've heard this one before.

As for the Gmax, so far I don't seem to be left with many other options for lowering the car, there doesn't seem to be many companies selling parts for them (over here at any rate).

try pfv mate i got my shocks and springs from them ,and sam from sweden i got stuff off them too and had no probs at all.and pfv deal with ipd

smithy
Sunday 31st January 2010, 23:06
hasnt yours got body mods such as the jewl head lights larger wheels and lowering springs just think if you get some window tints you will be all sorted for max power.

lol

MIKESC70T5
Sunday 31st January 2010, 23:14
Hasnt yours got body mods such as the jewl head lights larger wheels and lowering springs just think if you get some window tints you will be all sorted for max power.

Very true Pete but the body mods like the lights and wheels are all genuine Volvo bits that were fitted to the later c70 or available as factory options which imo are subtle changes and people looking at it wouldn't think it had been modified.

Each to there own. I manage a chain of car retail shops (over 20 years now) and the people that buy things like the g-max springs(only because they are very cheap),spoilers and window tint are the younger guys with there first cars like saxos, not older guys with Volvo 960's lol.

No offence meant.

Alan M
Sunday 31st January 2010, 23:16
No offence meant.

Very funny though lol.

nobananas
Monday 1st February 2010, 00:00
You could buy some of these.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CoilOver-Conversion-Kit-2-25-RALLY-RACE-COIL-OVER-CAR_W0QQitemZ290345688618QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Car sParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item4399f39e2a

Don't know what the diameter of your front struts are but then you can pick and choose what front spring rates and ride height you like. You would have to modify your top mounts but shouldn't be too hard and coil over springs are dead cheap.

abdul
Monday 1st February 2010, 00:28
good luck with the project

sebasteeno
Monday 1st February 2010, 17:58
Yeah good luck with it TC, dont know anything about 960s but ill be watching this thread with interest. Your new motors a nice colour for the contrast of the tints etc btw. Feck what others say in reference to your mods too, god knows what they think of mine but do i really give a flying one!!!! Each to their own is what i say

t5 pete
Monday 1st February 2010, 18:01
Very true Pete but the body mods like the lights and wheels are all genuine Volvo bits that were fitted to the later c70 or available as factory options which imo are subtle changes and people looking at it wouldn't think it had been modified.

Each to there own. I manage a chain of car retail shops (over 20 years now) and the people that buy things like the g-max springs(only because they are very cheap),spoilers and window tint are the younger guys with there first cars like saxos, not older guys with Volvo 960's lol.

No offence meant.

No affence taken i just always think that everyone should know the full facts before making assumptions.
I think the main reason why tc has bought the 960 is to make it a sleeper and also its something different to what people are used to just like smithy with his 940 and im on with a 240 t5 conversion.
Any get the pics up tc with the pegs on

t5 pete
Monday 1st February 2010, 18:05
You could buy some of these.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CoilOver-Conversion-Kit-2-25-RALLY-RACE-COIL-OVER-CAR_W0QQitemZ290345688618QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Car sParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item4399f39e2a

Don't know what the diameter of your front struts are but then you can pick and choose what front spring rates and ride height you like. You would have to modify your top mounts but shouldn't be too hard and coil over springs are dead cheap.

Ive also got the how to for building these there pretty simple to do tc im making my own coil overs for the 240 as i can then adjust the ride height and firmness.
You will just have to cheack the thickness of your shocker leg then buy accordingly.

Heres the springs tc you will have to find out what poundage you need but worth a look
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-25-ID-SILICON-CHROME-RACE-COIL-SPRINGS_W0QQitemZ200426290253QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK _CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item2eaa567c4 d

Tomcat
Monday 1st February 2010, 18:17
Ok, it got Peg'd today.....

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/DSCF0565.jpg

t5 pete
Monday 1st February 2010, 18:22
looks 100% better with the pegs on

Tomcat
Monday 1st February 2010, 18:24
Cheers Pete, just needs a damn good lowering now,lol.

t5 pete
Monday 1st February 2010, 18:26
did you have a look at the rear suspension set up and also if you could source another set of front shocker legs complete you could be making the coilovers while your car will still be on the road

Tomcat
Monday 1st February 2010, 18:32
Only had a brief look while the car was having it's new wheels fitted today, it's defo IRS on the rear.

sebasteeno
Monday 1st February 2010, 19:02

Got to go Anthracite or black mate

smithy
Monday 1st February 2010, 21:55
looks nice now mate i think you could use 850 lowering springs on the front because the late 960s have fwd setup

Tomcat
Monday 1st February 2010, 21:59
Would be hard to get just the front springs without buying a full set though. Wheels will be getting painted but not until summer, I actualy like them the colour they are at the moment.

t5 pete
Monday 1st February 2010, 22:00
if the 850 springs do fit the front end it will probley sit lower than the 850 does due to the heavier engine .
I once remember fitting m2 golf gti springs to my 1.3 golf and the front end rose due to the engine not being as heavy as the 2.0 gti engine.
Also you might be better off using coilovers as with the 18's as you can then alter it sit propley

Jamest5r
Monday 1st February 2010, 22:03
I like the look of that t/c, got a soft spot for the older shape now must be my age lol.

About time you changed your sig now mate the t5r is history

nobananas
Monday 1st February 2010, 22:30
Looks good TC, might I suggest loosing/painting the chrome around the windows, makes it look a little dated.

Tomcat
Monday 1st February 2010, 22:41
I like the look of that t/c, got a soft spot for the older shape now must be my age lol.

About time you changed your sig now mate the t5r is history

Cheers, yeah I need to amend it, just not had time yet.

Tomcat
Monday 1st February 2010, 22:43
Looks good TC, might I suggest loosing/painting the chrome around the windows, makes it look a little dated.

Not sure what to do with the chrome yet, I'm still waiting to get a replacement piece for under the passenger rear window, after that I may just spray all the chrome satin black.

t5 pete
Monday 1st February 2010, 22:50
just found this on tb its about lowering the 960
I bought the kit from Volvo, but I used the Lesjöfors springs and the volvo kit's struts.

You can mod the 850 struts too, look at the poi's threads.
Or, if you can shorten the OEM strut, it's doable to fit 940 front springs there too..

Here you can look at the different springs:
http://www.bilder.raskt.net/picture/..._/368.intervev
here are the oem struts:
http://www.bilder.raskt.net/picture/..._/369.intervev
extended length of LOWERING strut:
http://www.bilder.raskt.net/picture/..._/370.intervev

It's the OEM 960 95+, then it's the OEM 95+ lowering kit spring (22-25mm lowering, on top of the OEM 15mm), then last but not least, it's the lesjöfors which claim 40mm lowering for the 940, which then would be 40-15 = 35mm, so the OEM lowering would lower a tad less.

The ride is still comfy, but now it's controlled.
The 960 95+ (s90/v90 type) has 30% less body roll than a stock 940.
Then if you get stiffer springs, lower it and you also get stiffer sway bars, it's in another league all together.

You can also buy a kit from sweden,GE Motorsports.They have both front and rear shocks.

nobananas
Monday 1st February 2010, 22:51
Not sure what to do with the chrome yet, I'm still waiting to get a replacement piece for under the passenger rear window, after that I may just spray all the chrome satin black.

:biggrin::B_thumb:

Tomcat
Monday 1st February 2010, 22:53
Thanks for that Pete but none of those links work....

t5 pete
Monday 1st February 2010, 22:56
heres to the thread http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=143995

smithy
Tuesday 2nd February 2010, 00:20
you can do loads to these cars if you look around it will be a smart car when tc finishes it though and will be nice seeing him blow me away at york .ps street sleepers are the future .lol

t5 pete
Tuesday 2nd February 2010, 08:38
and will be nice seeing him blow me away at york .ps street sleepers are the future .lol

lol

t5 pete
Thursday 4th February 2010, 21:50
you had any more ideas on what your going to do with the 960

Tomcat
Thursday 4th February 2010, 21:58
Still trying to get my head around that front end damage, between that and bloody decorating I've not had any time to do anything yet. Finding parts is turning out to be a bloody nightmare, all the little odds and sod's of clips and plastic brackets are unatainable, most have had their part numbers deleted by Volvo and there's none in the breakers yards....

t5 pete
Thursday 4th February 2010, 22:35
youll get there in the end its just a matter of time and searching around i waited years to find the polaris wheels and they ardly come up for sale but in the end youll get hold of what you need

Tomcat
Thursday 4th February 2010, 22:42
Yeah I know, it's just a pain when the car looks a mess because there's missing/broken trim all over the place.

t5 pete
Thursday 4th February 2010, 22:49
i did notice someone was breaking a 960 over on the voc but dont know where he is based

Tomcat
Thursday 4th February 2010, 22:51
I've tred Pete, got little to no response from the guy, you'd think he didn't want to sell anything. Nads has got one in but he won't answer his phone and the guy at the yard doesn't know what to charge for anything.

t5 pete
Thursday 4th February 2010, 23:12
lol its like talking to a brick wall then

danny-R
Friday 5th February 2010, 10:31

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/DSCF0565.jpg

could you make your's look as good as this one Tc?
something a bit different

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nPNpH2IfBE&NR=1

Tomcat
Friday 5th February 2010, 10:34
That's the idea, although I think that sort of power output may be a while off yet,lol. Wanting it to eventualy look something like this.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US3OBBlwsn4

danny-R
Friday 5th February 2010, 10:42
it definatley shifts :) sounds like t5 motor??? are they the same

Tomcat
Friday 5th February 2010, 10:43
The engine in that car is a T5 I think, however the engine in a normal 960 is a 6 cylinder version of the T5 engine, albeit without a turbo.

danny-R
Friday 5th February 2010, 10:47
The engine in that car is a T5 I think, however the engine in a normal 960 is a 6 cylinder version of the T5 engine, albeit without a turbo.

how hard is it to bolt a turbo to it lol? ultimate sleeper:B_thumb:

Tomcat
Friday 5th February 2010, 14:22
it definatley shifts :) sounds like t5 motor??? are they the same

No, that one has the 6 cylinder engine with a mahoosive turbo on it, thinks it's putting out about 500bhp ish. It's not mega hard to put a turbo on but at the end of the day it's all down to money.

danny-R
Friday 5th February 2010, 19:04
nice to know it can be done if you won the pools lol.

nobananas
Saturday 6th February 2010, 16:45
You could stick a Rotrex blower on it, they're small and compact and it would be a bit different.

cherry1809
Saturday 6th February 2010, 17:01
What size engine are they? Are they the 3.0 inline 6?

Tomcat
Saturday 6th February 2010, 18:05
There's two, one is a 2.5litre 24valve straight six, or there's the 3.0litre 24valve straight six, both are RWD. I have the 2.5, but it's getting a 3.0 lump at some point....(Hopfully).

Jamest5r
Saturday 6th February 2010, 20:46
I've tred Pete, got little to no response from the guy, you'd think he didn't want to sell anything. Nads has got one in but he won't answer his phone and the guy at the yard doesn't know what to charge for anything.

If you want me to take some pics of that car at Nads let me know

volvokid
Saturday 6th February 2010, 21:07
That's the idea, although I think that sort of power output may be a while off yet,lol. Wanting it to eventualy look something like this.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US3OBBlwsn4

Am I the only one that noticed the S60R interior, TC get that lottery on son!!!!!

t5 pete
Saturday 6th February 2010, 22:21
here you go tc http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLVO-S60-R-FULL-PEARL-LEATHER-SEATS-INTERIOR-RARE_W0QQitemZ260549414558QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Ca rsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item3ca9f48e9e

volvokid
Saturday 6th February 2010, 22:24
That has to sell for a small fortune

t5 pete
Saturday 6th February 2010, 22:28
i would think so they look lovley would love to have them in my car

volvokid
Saturday 6th February 2010, 22:30
i would think so they look lovley would love to have them in my car

They are very comfy seats and the metallic flake is a brilliant little touch, I wish the C70 had seats like that the old ones had bigger bolsters

Jimmie
Sunday 7th February 2010, 00:00
There used to be loads of 24v 3.ltr volvo 960s.
Have they all been scrapped?.

Tomcat
Sunday 7th February 2010, 00:45
Ah, if only.....

Don't know where the hell all the 3.0 960's are, they sure as hell aren't in any of the scrapyards I've checked latley.

daveforber
Sunday 7th February 2010, 10:41
Would a T6 lump not fit with a little work?

Tomcat
Sunday 7th February 2010, 12:42
Yup, it will but have you seen the price of them?. There's one for sale on Ebay at the moment but they're asking £3k for it.

daveforber
Sunday 7th February 2010, 15:27
That's because it's out of an XC90. I swear I saw an S80 T6 lump on eBay for rather less ... of course you could always buy a salvage S80 as a donor?

t5 pete
Sunday 7th February 2010, 20:52
yeah the best idea really would be to buy a damaged car i.e has a smash then you can have the loom ecu etc

Tomcat
Sunday 7th February 2010, 21:07
Mmmm after having a quick look it would seem that the T6 out of an S80 is a lot cheaper, even a road going car can be had for less than 2k, so a damaged one should be really cheap.

t5 pete
Sunday 7th February 2010, 21:08
yeah i would think you should get a full one for under 1k do you want me to keep a look out for you

Tomcat
Sunday 7th February 2010, 21:09
Not a lot of point at the moment Pete, got a distinct lack of money at the moment. I'll let you know though.

t5 pete
Sunday 7th February 2010, 21:24
tc your has got to look like this one
http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt39/t5pete/large_52990-482234.jpg

http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt39/t5pete/large_104750-994230.jpg

Jamest5r
Sunday 7th February 2010, 21:28
In a sick sort of way i like that:smile: does the front end look like a saab 9000 or is it just me:B_censore

Tomcat
Sunday 7th February 2010, 21:31
It's heading in that direction, R front bumper is on it's way to me tomorrow, the 850R rear spoiler should be on it's way to me at some point this week, already got the pegs, just got to figure out a way of lowering the damn thing now.

smithy
Sunday 7th February 2010, 21:33
In a sick sort of way i like that:smile: does the front end look like a saab 9000 or is it just me:B_censore

it looks very similar but it is nice though .i hope mine looks as good as that when i put the bumpers on .now i am scared lol

smithy
Sunday 7th February 2010, 21:34
It's heading in that direction, R front bumper is on it's way to me tomorrow, the 850R rear spoiler should be on it's way to me at some point this week, already got the pegs, just got to figure out a way of lowering the damn thing now.

as they say mate the is always a way and i will keep looking for you mate

Tomcat
Sunday 7th February 2010, 21:39
Had a thought tonight, the father in law has got a 940 turbo sat on his drive, what's likely to be under the back end of that one Mr Smith?.

t5 pete
Sunday 7th February 2010, 21:40
yep there always a way if your up for it you can do a total transplant of the rear suspension from the eairler ones which use springs on the rear also might not be too expensive if you can find a breakers that will let you strip it

Jamest5r
Sunday 7th February 2010, 21:47
Smithy, t5pete and t/c.....the british turbo bricks are here, liking this retro stuff :shhh:

t5 pete
Sunday 7th February 2010, 21:49
lmao were here to convert every one

smithy
Sunday 7th February 2010, 21:50
its a live axle not irs but the is no reason the somthing cannot be done .the earlier 960s had a irs system that had springs on them so have to look into it more but also going to look at the estate tomorrow to see what setup that has got because that sits realy low if it is the nivomats that lift the back end then some form of shock or coilover could be fitted keeping the irs in place

smithy
Sunday 7th February 2010, 21:53
lmao were here to convert every one

well im going different again fitting a 850t5r front bumper ,v70 sideskirts and 850 saloon rear bumper .colour code everything and fit lets see what that looks like ,and im scared lol

t5 pete
Sunday 7th February 2010, 22:04
its a live axle not irs but the is no reason the somthing cannot be done .the earlier 960s had a irs system that had springs on them so have to look into it more but also going to look at the estate tomorrow to see what setup that has got because that sits realy low if it is the nivomats that lift the back end then some form of shock or coilover could be fitted keeping the irs in place

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRR youve just got my brain going it is the nivos that hold the rear end up as when i had the 960 and took them off the wheels were in the arches so by making coilovers the rear end can be fully adjustabe

Jamest5r
Sunday 7th February 2010, 22:07
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRR youve just got my brain going it is the nivos that hold the rear end up as when i had the 960 and took them off the wheels were in the arches so by making coilovers the rear end can be fully adjustabe

You and Smithy know FAR too much about car's lmao

Jamest5r
Sunday 7th February 2010, 22:09
well im going different again fitting a 850t5r front bumper ,v70 sideskirts and 850 saloon rear bumper .colour code everything and fit lets see what that looks like ,and im scared lol

Scared??? you big woose you talked me into swapping my car to a manual and your worried about a bumper and skirts??:hail::D:D

Tomcat
Sunday 7th February 2010, 22:10
But I read that the composite leaf supports the rear diff so that can't be removed, also the mounting points for the shocks aren't thick enough to support the springs as well.....Or so I was told. I don't know if it's got nivomats on or not tbh, haven't gotten under it to check yet.

t5 pete
Sunday 7th February 2010, 22:13

lol theres not much i can do with the 240 body wise as i think most thins people have done to them looks pants but the polaris wheels sat in the arches should do me.
I do like the look of the front end of this 240 but unsure if i want to add things like that on i just want it to look like a grandad car lol
http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt39/t5pete/uhygybvuni.jpg

i know this is a far different set uo to your tc but heres the idea of rear coilovers

http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt39/t5pete/81416428.jpg

smithy
Sunday 7th February 2010, 22:32
But I read that the composite leaf supports the rear diff so that can't be removed, also the mounting points for the shocks aren't thick enough to support the springs as well.....Or so I was told. I don't know if it's got nivomats on or not tbh, haven't gotten under it to check yet.

i think that the rear leaf spring supports the the irs and the nivomats carry the weigt and height from what i can see .but i will look at that estate tomorrow because that sits lower than the james t5r does so it must have something to do with this but more investigating has to be done though

smithy
Sunday 7th February 2010, 22:32
Scared??? you big woose you talked me into swapping my car to a manual and your worried about a bumper and skirts??:hail::D:D

lol we will have to see

Tomcat
Sunday 7th February 2010, 22:35
Is this the one in Nads's?

Tomcat
Wednesday 10th February 2010, 23:56
Car now has a new bonnet, a pair of indicators and a new bumper. I've also managed to get the stereo working with a full set of speakers (only had two before) and a cd changer. After Mr Smith pointing out how old the timing belt was (I'm as blind as a bat and miss read the date) I've ordered a new belt and a serpentine belt too, apparently they haven't been changed for quite a few years. Just had a V70R bumper arrive too, once I've figured out how to mount the damn thing then that's be getting painted and fitted.

smithy
Thursday 11th February 2010, 10:30
Car now has a new bonnet, a pair of indicators and a new bumper. I've also managed to get the stereo working with a full set of speakers (only had two before) and a cd changer. After Mr Smith pointing out how old the timing belt was (I'm as blind as a bat and miss read the date) I've ordered a new belt and a serpentine belt too, apparently they haven't been changed for quite a few years. Just had a V70R bumper arrive too, once I've figured out how to mount the damn thing then that's be getting painted and fitted.

wheres my pics lol

v70torslanda
Thursday 11th February 2010, 14:19
Loving this thread. :)

Rear shox - need to find some coilovers (Renault 21 estate?) and convert using weld on threaded collars. Alternatively check out Spax and AVO for custom adjustables?

v70torslanda
Thursday 11th February 2010, 14:23
AVO clicky (http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?cls=MSPORT&pcode=AVUPA090/070)

Tomcat
Thursday 11th February 2010, 14:28
Thanks for that, work should progress a little quicker next week (I'll have fnished the decorating by then,lol)..

Tomcat
Saturday 13th February 2010, 00:26
Well managed to sort out the stereo, got some tweeters and some front speakers, wired them all in and....oh crap the passenger side front still isn't working....head scratching.....Duh.....the balance was off to the right,lol. Also manged to get another cd changer after the first one arrived broken in the post, second one now fitted and working(ever get the feeling that you're just not having any luck?)

It's now had the bonnet, front bumper, grill and both indicators replaced, sadly they're off a green car and mines Silversand but at least the front's not bent out of shape any more. I now have a car that looks ok, if a bit miss matched. Just taken delivery of a V70R front bumper too, I'm just looking at how I can get it to fit, if it wont then I'll have to make a fibreglass one up, but at least now I have one to take a pattern from.

Had a go at getting the fob working for the alarm the other day while I was at Nads but couldn't get it to do anything, despite replacing the relay and the sensor on the dash. After putting it all back how it was and re assembling the car I realised that I just may not have been turning the ignition on and off enough, but by that point it was too late...

Car still needs the front brakes looking at as it's still got brake judder, I'm not going to order any parts until I've had a look as it's supposed to have had new discs recently, could just be a knackered suspension joint.

t5 pete
Saturday 13th February 2010, 10:03
good progress and lets see some pics then of your multi coloured 960 lol

walter leever
Saturday 13th February 2010, 17:29
Well matey, i found something for you.

Intrax do springs(racing)for the 940/960 wich lowers the car about 40mm.:B_steerin

At a cost of 210 euros a set.

Hope this helps.:anmflower

Just go to www.intraxsuspension.nl

gr,walter

You can choose the english language to(for those who don't understand dutch :haha: )

Tomcat
Saturday 13th February 2010, 18:39
Thanks for trying Walter but I think those springs are for the early type with a live axle rather than the multi link system thats on the later cars.

Tomcat
Saturday 13th February 2010, 18:49
Decided to have a go at making an R front bumper today, I removed the new green bumper, took the bracing out of it and put it back into the silver bumper that came off the car, this will keep the car ok for the road while I chop the other one up.

Took the new green 960 bumper and cut it length ways down the middle, also took the perfectly good V70R bumper I bought and cut that the same. Once that was all done I then started to try welding it all back together (960 on top and V70R on the bottom), I got the sides and the front edge to weld up nicely but the front corners are a different story all together,there is a good 1 inch gap between the two parts. Now not sure what to do, I've had a quick go at heating it up with a hot air gun to push it in but I don't know wether I should push the upper part (the 960) in to meet the lower or push the lower part out to meet the upper, gonna take a little more investigation before I commit. On the positive side it does look like it's possible to weld this sort of plastic, I had thought it was going to be too weak to work, I will still put some sort of bracing on the back though just to be sure. Photo's to follow next week.

walter leever
Saturday 13th February 2010, 21:56
Thanks for trying Walter but I think those springs are for the early type with a live axle rather than the multi link system thats on the later cars.

Are you sure?,it says 91- end.

t5 pete
Saturday 13th February 2010, 22:56
sounding good tc what you using to weld the plastic

That'll be my trusty old soldering iron to weld the two edges back together, followed by glueing another strip of plastic over the weld with some stikaflex type bonding agent that they use for bodykits.

Tomcat
Sunday 14th February 2010, 00:09
Are you sure?,it says 91- end.

No, lol. But it says springs so not sure what it would contain, the sites a bit of a mix of English and Sweedish.

walter leever
Sunday 14th February 2010, 01:09
No, lol. But it says springs so not sure what it would contain, the sites a bit of a mix of English and Sweedish.

Ehm,you mean dutch,lol.

Well just like i said it's a set of springs wich lower your car 30-40mm,if you want to get lower you'll need coilovers(that's what's it about,and offcourse that they do racesprings,etc,etc)

walter

Tomcat
Sunday 14th February 2010, 10:22
Lol, can you tell I don't speak Dutch?....

Tomcat
Sunday 14th February 2010, 20:34
Ok, I've finaly got my pc back (only took two days to clear all the crap out of there,lol. Here's a pic of the new bumper half finished, more pics will follow now that I can finally upload them.

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/14022010060.jpg

walter leever
Sunday 14th February 2010, 20:37
Ok, I've finaly got my pc back (only took two days to clear all the crap out of there,lol. Here's a pic of the new bumper half finished, more pics will follow now that I can finally upload them.

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/14022010060.jpg

That looks sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet:smileypul

volvokid
Sunday 14th February 2010, 20:39
That looks pants look at the scratches, just kiddin it looks the nuts. I canna see my splitter though haha

Tomcat
Sunday 14th February 2010, 20:43
That looks pants look at the scratches, just kiddin it looks the nuts. I canna see my splitter though haha

Cos it's not in the picture mate,lol. Seriously though yours is next.

volvokid
Sunday 14th February 2010, 20:44
Cos it's not in the picture mate,lol. Seriously though yours is next.

No worries, theres no rush.

cameron
Sunday 14th February 2010, 20:52
That'll look the nuts once its all painted up and on the car, well done buddy :B_thumb:

smithy
Sunday 14th February 2010, 21:13
Ehm,you mean dutch,lol.

Well just like i said it's a set of springs wich lower your car 30-40mm,if you want to get lower you'll need coilovers(that's what's it about,and offcourse that they do racesprings,etc,etc)

walter

i have looked at the sitew but it does not mention multilink rear suspension only live axle that use 4 springs

Tomcat
Sunday 14th February 2010, 21:15
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/14022010062.jpg

Another little pick, this time from the side, shows how much is still to be done..

t5 pete
Sunday 14th February 2010, 22:59
can you heat the corned up to pull it out and then use plastic filler to smooth it in

abdul
Sunday 14th February 2010, 23:02
looking nice

Tomcat
Sunday 14th February 2010, 23:02
Yeah. I've been using a hot air gun today to soften the plastic enough to move it around, it's made the gap a hell of a lot smaller but it's still not brilliant. Once I get the gaps filled with plastic I can then heat it a little at a time to get the right profile, I don't want to go blobbing on tons of filler as it just wont last built like that.

smithy
Monday 15th February 2010, 00:06
Yeah. I've been using a hot air gun today to soften the plastic enough to move it around, it's made the gap a hell of a lot smaller but it's still not brilliant. Once I get the gaps filled with plastic I can then heat it a little at a time to get the right profile, I don't want to go blobbing on tons of filler as it just wont last built like that.

hello mate looking good that mate its my turn this week omg lol.ps wheres my pics lol

Tomcat
Monday 15th February 2010, 00:09
How did I know that would be the first question you asked?...I'll upload them now.

smithy
Monday 15th February 2010, 00:16
How did I know that would be the first question you asked?...I'll upload them now.

no second question mate first one was about the bumper you have done as i said its my turn this week lol

Tomcat
Monday 15th February 2010, 18:44
Okay after another clean today here's a couple more photo's.

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/DSCF0566a.jpg
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/DSCF0569a.jpg
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/DSCF0572.jpg
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/DSCF0574.jpg
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/DSCF0571a.jpg

Front bumper has come on a little more today, looking like it might actualy fit at some point now,lol. Took about ten minutes today to rip out the old airbox and all it's piping, stuck a generic cone filter on there for now until I can afford a decent K&N or similar. Rear 850R spoiler also turned up today but it's missing the mounting clips off the sides so I need to track some of these down before I can fit it, timing belt, serpentine belt and a bracket for the grill also arrived today courtesy of RUFE, brackets been fitted and the belts are going on as soon as I have 5 minutes.

sebasteeno
Monday 15th February 2010, 19:40
Looking good TC

t5 pete
Monday 15th February 2010, 19:46
its definatly coming along once the car has been lowered and the front bumper and spoiler sprayed and fitted it will look a totally different car

martybelfastt5
Monday 15th February 2010, 21:56
first read of this thread there great reading loving what your doing there tc intresting stuff

Tomcat
Monday 15th February 2010, 21:59
Cheers, actualy starting to like the car now (wasn't sure at all at first). Threw the car into a roundabout today just down the road from my house, I've done it hundreds of times before in the R, completley forgot about it being rwd, it was wet, the back end slid out, went around the roundabout sideways.....made me lol so hard...gotta love rwd.

Tomcat
Wednesday 17th February 2010, 21:22
Bumpers coming along nicely, managed to get most of the plastic welding done, just got to glue another strip of plastic onto the back now to give the joint some support. Started to prep the rear R spoiler I bought for paint today, that was a load of fun as it was painted mat black, I decided to strip it right back to the original paint as I wasn't sure how well prep'd it had been for the black.

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/17022010070.jpg
Just started sanding

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/17022010071.jpg
Brake light lens removed and spoiler partialy sanded

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/17022010072.jpg
Fully sanded and awaiting first coat of primer.

Hoping to get the primer and base coat on tomorrow.

LiamT4
Wednesday 17th February 2010, 23:24
i'm really liking this car. The wheels and the colour work well.

Tomcat
Thursday 18th February 2010, 17:52
Sprayed the rear spoiler today, just waiting for that to dry now before mounting it, also (while waiting for stuff to dry) I changed the cam belt and the aux belt too. Can't thank Smithy enough for pointing out the actual date on the cambelt cover, I'd read it as saying 98,000 was the last time it was changed, being as the cars only done 108,000 that's ok. In actual fact it wread 75,000 and 1998!!!... not been changed for 12 years!!... Suffice to say I feel a lot better now nowing it's been done, dind't even take that long(much easier to change a timing belt when you can see what your doing,lol).

abdul
Friday 19th February 2010, 13:11
love the wheels

Tomcat
Friday 19th February 2010, 21:36
Spoiler is now painted and it's sat in the kitchen drying( it's too damn cold in the garage and the clearcoat is still a little soft), still got to paint the back edge in satin black, excuse the photo there was still plenty of paint in the air when I took it.

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/18022010073.jpg

t5 pete
Friday 19th February 2010, 22:09
looking better tc

Vikingxl
Wednesday 24th February 2010, 19:03
Got this sneaky spy shot of tomcas supercar out and about in tescos carpark Wigan this afternoon.Seems like he wasnt up to driving so had a more youthful expert behind the wheel for the road test

Tomcat
Wednesday 24th February 2010, 19:18
Lol, trust you.

Vikingxl
Wednesday 24th February 2010, 19:19
So are you saying thats not your new chariot then???

Tomcat
Wednesday 24th February 2010, 19:31
So are you saying thats not your new chariot then???

Sadly no, but it was good of you to think that something so awesome could be mine.

Tomcat
Saturday 27th February 2010, 00:33
Ok, after some thinking I'm beginning to lean towards just throwing a T5 engine in for a quick power increase, the current engine is ok but it's just not what I'm used to. Can anyone tell me how easy it will be to drop a T5 engine into the 960?, can I use the exisiting engine wiring harness(being as it's a similar engine) and could I use the T5's ECU to run it?...

smithy
Saturday 27th February 2010, 01:03
Ok, after some thinking I'm beginning to lean towards just throwing a T5 engine in for a quick power increase, the current engine is ok but it's just not what I'm used to. Can anyone tell me how easy it will be to drop a T5 engine into the 960?, can I use the exisiting engine wiring harness(being as it's a similar engine) and could I use the T5's ECU to run it?...

its not just a drop straight in job mate .you will have to modd the sump the exhaust will be on the wrong side also /inlet too .better put a t6 motor in it and standalone. personally i would put the 2.9 24v in on a manual box can pull sub seven sec 60 with no mods at all .and if you play with it a little then the fun will really start.im not saying you carnt fit a t5 engine in though it can be done with work and you might be able to splice you existing loom with a t5 one .

Tomcat
Saturday 27th February 2010, 01:07
Yeah I hear what your saying, not sure about the exhaust being on the wrong side though, it's basicaly the same engine as I have now with an extra cylinder so they should be on the right side. Seriously in need of a big kick up the arse with power though, it's seriously lacking, once I have some disposable income (which probably wont be for a while) I'll get that exhaust sorted and then see where to go from there. There's an S80 with a T6 at a place nearish to me for about £1200 but it may as well be £12000 at the moment.

smithy
Saturday 27th February 2010, 01:11
Yeah I hear what your saying, not sure about the exhaust being on the wrong side though, it's basicaly the same engine as I have now with an extra cylinder so they should be on the right side. Seriously in need of a big kick up the arse with power though, it's seriously lacking, once I have some disposable income (which probably wont be for a while) I'll get that exhaust sorted and then see where to go from there. There's an S80 with a T6 at a place nearish to me for about £1200 but it may as well be £12000 at the moment.

sorry yes you are right the stuff is on the same side had a bad day and tired lol

Tomcat
Saturday 27th February 2010, 11:41
Actualy having thought about what you said your sort of right, the turbo and the inlet are both built to exit at the rear of the engine so I'd need to build a new exhaust manifold and possibly swap to a later ME9 inlet manifold. The iintercooler and all the associated piping I can rob off that 940 turbo of my fatherinlaws...hopefully.

t5 pete
Saturday 27th February 2010, 16:11
if your wanting quick power with out swaping engines why dont you make a head spacer to lower the compression and slap two 15g on run with a electronic boost controller take the intercooler off the 940 and pipework, and make oil and water feed lines for the turbo.
Either buy a set of manifolds or make some for the turbos and down pipe job done you have more power, many people have made n/a engines into turbo charged power nut did this with his vr6 engine and is running 400-500 bhp no problem

smithy
Saturday 27th February 2010, 18:27
i personally would put the bigger engine in it and if you want more power than that supercharge that .now that would be good and plenty of talk.but i think the 2.9 24v with no restriction will be a blast .

t5 pete
Saturday 27th February 2010, 18:34
ive got a nice 3.0 24v at myne aswell

Tomcat
Saturday 27th February 2010, 18:40
ive got a nice 3.0 24v at myne aswell

I thought you didn't want to part with it yet?.

t5 pete
Saturday 27th February 2010, 18:42
i need to get all my parts off it first but just carnt be bothered to with the crap weather

Tomcat
Saturday 27th February 2010, 18:43
I know what you mean, do you still want the same price for it?

smithy
Saturday 27th February 2010, 18:46
i need to get all my parts off it first but just carnt be bothered to with the crap weather

please please sort it for him he needs the POWER lol

Tomcat
Saturday 27th February 2010, 18:49
Can anyone guess what I did today?

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/27022010078.jpg

t5 pete
Saturday 27th February 2010, 18:50
lol ave forgot what a told you tc and first you have to pay for york lol

t5 pete
Saturday 27th February 2010, 18:51
cut some metal lol i geuss it sits a little lower now

Tomcat
Saturday 27th February 2010, 18:54
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/27022010079.jpg

This is how it sits now, it's a good inch and a half lower than before, not showing pics of the full car as it's still got it's arse stuck up in the air,lol.

t5 pete
Saturday 27th February 2010, 18:59
lol come on tc show us a full shot

smithy
Saturday 27th February 2010, 19:38
looking nice tc lets see the drag car style then lol ps have youy done my pics on the other threads yet mate lol

Tomcat
Sunday 28th February 2010, 18:49
Finaly got the rear spoiler fitted today..

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/28022010087a.jpg

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/28022010088.jpg

Still got to fit the wiring for the brake light but I'll have a go at that tomorrow.

richiemat
Sunday 28th February 2010, 19:21
Can anyone guess what I did today?

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/27022010078.jpg

this is coming along well

was curious about cutting the springs, excuse my lack of understanding as I haven't seen this done before but is this a temporary or permanent setup?

Tomcat
Sunday 28th February 2010, 19:27
It could be either to be honest but I'll probably just leave it like this until I can afford some coilovers(or a conversion kit)

t5 pete
Sunday 28th February 2010, 19:34
hows the front bumper coming along and have you got any update pictures of it

richiemat
Sunday 28th February 2010, 19:37
It could be either to be honest but I'll probably just leave it like this until I can afford some coilovers(or a conversion kit)

No MOT issues then obviously?

Tomcat
Sunday 28th February 2010, 19:42
Front bumpers coming along nicely, just debating wether to use the plastic one I've made or take a mould from it and make a fibreglass one. No more pics yet, it's been filled but it's waiting on a little more work and some primer, then I'll take some more pics.

Tomcat
Sunday 28th February 2010, 19:43
No MOT issues then obviously?

No, shouldn't be the spring still works like it should it's just a little shorter now.

Volvostorm
Sunday 28th February 2010, 20:21
As long as the spring isn't loose when jacked up, there are no MOT issuses, if they are loose, wire the spring to the cup to stop the spring popping out on full extension.

Tomcat
Sunday 28th February 2010, 20:35
No they're not loose.

Tomcat
Sunday 28th February 2010, 20:43
Had to order some wheel spacers yesterday, when I was cutting the springs down I noticed that the wheels have been catching on the struts slightly, also the N/S wheel has been rubbing on the inner wing as well, hopefully the 5mm spacers should sort that(without catching on the wing I hope).

t5 pete
Sunday 28th February 2010, 21:09
depending what dia you struts are these might be just the thing for the front coil overs
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Coilover-Conversion-Kit-Escort-RS2000-Capri-Cortina_W0QQitemZ160404538508QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK _CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item2558db048 c

Tomcat
Sunday 28th February 2010, 21:25
Yeah that's an option that I'll be taking up once I've got some of the other jobs sorted, I can buy ready built coilovers for the front but I'm not paying $1300, plus import duty and shipping.

t5 pete
Sunday 28th February 2010, 21:38
Yeah that's an option that I'll be taking up once I've got some of the other jobs sorted, I can buy ready built coilovers for the front but I'm not paying $1300, plus import duty and shipping.

Thats a expensive price to say it can be done by your self for under £300 with new shocks

Tomcat
Sunday 28th February 2010, 21:59
Dead right, all I need to do now is work out a way of doing the rears, they sell them for $800 plus shipping and import duty. I'm a dab hand with a welder if I have to be..

These are the rears....

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/Rearcoilovers.jpg

t5 pete
Sunday 28th February 2010, 22:03
they dont look too bad at all to make you just need to get a set of standard shocks not nivmos and start fromt here making the bracket for the bottom

Tomcat
Sunday 28th February 2010, 22:07
Yeah, it's just how you'd go about mounting the spring colour to the shock that worries me, don't fancy welding it as the shocks are pressurised.

smithy
Sunday 28th February 2010, 22:10
Yeah, it's just how you'd go about mounting the spring colour to the shock that worries me, don't fancy welding it as the shocks are pressurised.

i would do it the way we discused mate on the rears .as long as you put good shocks onand strenghtening plates on the arms should be good and a dam site cheaper too mate.

Tomcat
Sunday 28th February 2010, 23:06
I'm bearing that in mind but I've got a price for that leaf from Nads, I'd sooner do it properly if I can rather than hacking up the lower arms. Still depenant on price though.

smithy
Sunday 28th February 2010, 23:18
I'm bearing that in mind but I've got a price for that leaf from Nads, I'd sooner do it properly if I can rather than hacking up the lower arms. Still depenant on price though.

that is an idea but the other option is still there and if you do it properly it would not be a bodge ether.

Tomcat
Monday 1st March 2010, 19:40
Not had much time today but made a little more progress on the front bumper..

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/01032010089.jpg
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/01032010091.jpg
Just out of interest does anyone know how the chrome strip comes off the bumper?,there's excess on the inside of the rear edge where it comes through and no amount of pushing etc will get it to move.

t5 pete
Monday 1st March 2010, 20:33
if it doesnt pretude the bumper can you not just fill it in only other way is try with a screwdriver from one end and work you way around.
Is it plastic filler your using tc

Tomcat
Monday 1st March 2010, 20:40
I only want to remove it for painting Pete, it's got to stay as there's a chrome strip in the back bumper too. It's just ordinary filler at the moment Pete, I normaly use plastic padding but I didn't have any to hand and this plastic is pretty ridgid, if it cracks then I'll just have to redo it at a later date.

Tomcat
Friday 5th March 2010, 20:20
Ok, not had much time for anything latley due to other comitments (namely looking after relatives), I decided to re do one side of the bumper as I wasn't happy that the profile of it matched the otherside too well. To do this I had to remove the piece I bonded to the back of it, man that sh*t sticks!!, took some real pulling to get it to peel off. Now fully redone and re bonded I'm going to try and get it finished and into primer tomorrow or Sunday.

Bought some new front discs at last today, got sick to death of the juddering so they're getting replaced tomorrow, I've already painted the centre section of the disc (no not the mounting face) and I'll also be painting the calipers as well tomorrow (well, if I have time) and also fitting the wheel spacers.

Pics to follow tomorrow.

Jamest5r
Friday 5th March 2010, 20:27
Wish i had painted my discs before fitting, they have only been on for 2 weeks and looking a bit brownish you reckon i could still rub them down a bit and paint t/c?? also what paint you using?

Cheers

pookie
Friday 5th March 2010, 22:49
Keep up the good work Craig.

Salut!

Pookie

Tomcat
Saturday 6th March 2010, 00:13
Wish i had painted my discs before fitting, they have only been on for 2 weeks and looking a bit brownish you reckon i could still rub them down a bit and paint t/c?? also what paint you using?

Cheers

Don't see why not, just give them a gentle rub down with some wet and dry and then paint them. I've just used some enamel paint as it's what I had lying around in the colour I wanted.

Tomcat
Saturday 6th March 2010, 18:52
Finally decided to replace the juddering front brakes today, didn't take long to work out why they where juddering, anyone guess(These discs are less than 12 months old)..

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/06032010098.jpg

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/06032010097.jpg

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/06032010099.jpg

Look at all that crap on the mounting faces!, some stupid bugger didn't even clean them properly, no wonder the discs are knackered. Cleaned everything up and then fitted the new freshly painted discs, all looking good, painted the calipers and the mounting brackets, left everything to dry. Came back an hour later to fit the now dry mounting brackets and.......they wont go on, because the new discs are the wrong bloody ones!!, the shop that sold them to me has sold me some that have a deeper bell on them so they sit about 5mm further back than the old ones. Because I've now got to take them back I've had to spend the afternoon with some paint stripper removing all the lovely paint I put on them!....GRRRRRRR!!!

So after spending the whole day on my car all I've managed to get done is painting the calipers and mounting brackets, removing the high level brake light from the rear shelf and wiring in the brake light on the spoiler...Ah well at least it's something else done off the looong list,lol.

Tomcat
Tuesday 9th March 2010, 17:33
Managed to get some primer on the front bumper yesterday, sadly though it's not going to be ready for paint just yet as all it's done is highlight the fact that there's still loads of sanding a filling still to do.

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/09032010100.jpg

Managed to get the front brakes sort at last, why would it cost more money for replacement discs that have a SMALLER mounting bell?, apparently my car has the same front discs as the estate so it cost me another £11 for something that contains less metal.....Stange.

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/09032010101.jpg

I also fitted the 5mm spacers today as well as the discs and all the rubbing and other associated crap has stopped (thank god). Front brakes are bloody awefull at the moment as they still need to bed in, but at least there's no more brake judder from warp discs...

Porcine_Aviator
Tuesday 9th March 2010, 19:22
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/09032010101.jpg

Mrs PA has just looked that these and said wooo very nice.

I hope she doesn't want me to do something like that on her 850.

Tomcat
Tuesday 9th March 2010, 21:09
Ahhh but you can only paint them like that if they're new isn't that right?..(Wink,wink)....lol.

t5 pete
Tuesday 9th March 2010, 21:49
the bumper is coming allong nicley

Tomcat
Monday 15th March 2010, 15:40
Made very little progress lately due to having man flu, however feeling a little better since yesterday so I've been back in the garage. After hoping to get all the filling and priming done on the front bumper a slight hiccup has occured today, during construction I didn't use my normal flexible filler and instead used what I had in, result.......three big cracks on the N/s corner. At least this happened before I painted it and not afterwards, this has now prompted me to make a fresh one out of fibreglass rather than using the plastic one, to do this though I'll have to remove the chrome strip out of the front bumper and get rid of the cracks again. More updates to come once I get some spare cash to throw at it.

Tomcat
Friday 19th March 2010, 21:52
Had a little present arrive today from Nads, a replacement composite leaf for the back end from a nivomat equiped car. I had a go at fitting it today, with no haynes book to work from I spent three hours attempting to remove the old one, after removing most of the suspension on the N/S and undoing the 10 bolts holding the diff carrier in I gave up, after 3 hours it had become obvious to me that I was never going to have time to finish it today so I then spent another hour putting it back together. Just had time to paint the rear calipers to match the fronts, would you believe that after all that effort the back end is now sitting even higher than before!!.

Tomcat
Sunday 21st March 2010, 21:07
After reading Vadis tonight I've found out that there are approximatley 3 special Volvo tools needed to change out the rear leaf, being as I have NONE of them I'm going to ring the local independant tomorrow and see if they have any of them, failing that I will bite the bullet and ring the local main dealers and see what ridiculous price they want for changing it.

t5 pete
Sunday 21st March 2010, 22:04
if you can get pictures of the tools surley you will be able to make them

Tomcat
Sunday 21st March 2010, 22:28
I've got pics Pete, two I could defo make, the third is doubtfull as it looks complicated and the photos don't show much detail.

t5 pete
Sunday 21st March 2010, 22:32
come on then get the pics up

Tomcat
Sunday 21st March 2010, 22:53
Lol, I'll post them up tomorrow Pete, I'm on the laptop and Vadis is on the Pc upstairs, I'm feelin lazy,lol.

Tomcat
Tuesday 23rd March 2010, 15:46
Ok...had a chat with the local independant today and they don't have the tools to do it, I then wrang the nearest main dealer (Rybrook in Warrington). At first the guy on the phone was a complete waste of time as they "wouldn't take a car out of spec", after much explaining that it was a factory part he said he'd look into it and get back to me. A while later he wrang back in a much better mood and said he'd spoken to some of the "Older" tech's in the workshop, that it was a complete bitch of a job to do and that they'd want between 5-600 for doing it!. This I think puts the nail in it for me, I will wait until I've got the rear coilolvers sorted and then I will just have to try and do it myself, with or without the bloody volvo special tools.

phil_woods
Tuesday 23rd March 2010, 19:28
That dealer TC is a joke! I took my mates car to get a software update and they wouldnt do it. I explained why I wanted it doing and they just said "we can do a diagnostic for you" which had already been done " but we can not just do the download".

That dealer is a joke mate, I know an indy in liverpool. He has a few stolen cars and that but if you could look past that he is quite good. I dont have a phone number but could describe where it is if you like?

By the way im joking about the stolen motors, they are ringers really lol

Tomcat
Tuesday 23rd March 2010, 21:16
LMAO, now I don't know what to believe...

t5 pete
Tuesday 23rd March 2010, 21:19
Theres always ways around things tc even if you make your own tools im sure it can be done

phil_woods
Tuesday 23rd March 2010, 21:28
Could you not use a pedro multitool (angle grinder) and replace bolts etc that you destroy?

Tomcat
Tuesday 23rd March 2010, 21:40
I've not been to the Pedro school of bodgit and scarper (no offence,lol) but I'm sure there's a way of doing it, just means that the car will be off the road for a few days while I work out how. Gonna wait until I can afford the coilovers first then I'll do it all at once.

phil_woods
Tuesday 23rd March 2010, 21:43
makes sense, I couldnt be without a car which is why my bumpers look like cream cheese because I cant take them off to respray lol
Good luck with it though mate, in all seriousness that guy I mentioned before used to have a massive unit off the dock road in bootle liverpool. He used to break volvos all the time and also fix them. He was really good but then some scum broke in and stole all his spares. He should have restocked by now...must check

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 23rd March 2010, 22:01
That looks like a hell of a job (just like tryin to get the fuel tank out on mine).

You could just strap the diff up to the car instead of using those diff clamps. And the compression tool is just so that the suspension parts are tightened up in position, you could put it back then put the car on ramps and tighten it all up with the car weight on the suspension.

Tomcat
Tuesday 23rd March 2010, 23:58
I can possibly sort out something to support the diff, I don't know at the moment if I can find a way of getting the spring off without compressing it, the force of the spring pushes the lower wishbones down which in turn pushes them into the hubs, if I can find a way of getting the hubs off then maybe I can just lower the wishbones down with a jack....I don't know, still loads of researching to do at the moment.

As a side note, the car decided to remind me in spectacular style tonight that I'd still not cleared out the sunroof drain holes, got in the car to find a puddle in the centre console and I got dripped on all the way during a 5 mile journey.

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 24th March 2010, 00:34
Oh bad luck Hoffcat, but you will buy these old cars LOL.

I'm a bit perplexed at the leaf spring idea on the 960 rear suspension, just why would they do that when they've been using springs for so long?

Can't you just undo the bolts on number 4?
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/bomb192uk/960rearsus.jpg

Tomcat
Wednesday 24th March 2010, 10:19
Sadly no, it's not that straight forward, you can undo that bolt but there's a roll bar and a fuel tank stopping you taking the bolt out.

p fandango
Wednesday 24th March 2010, 11:15
I've not been to the Pedro school of bodgit and scarper (no offence,lol)
cheeky git, grinding is not a bodge lol

Tomcat
Wednesday 24th March 2010, 11:52
cheeky git, grinding is not a bodge lol

Lol, you took your time...as I said....no offence, I was just pulling your leg.

Vikingxl
Wednesday 24th March 2010, 12:16
Hey tomcat at least he has two real legs to pull lol if he pulls the wrong one of yours he will get splinters in his hand

smithy
Thursday 25th March 2010, 09:34
Lol, you took your time...as I said....no offence, I was just pulling your leg.

i still think the bottom arm conversion would be less work that we spoke about mate.

Tomcat
Thursday 25th March 2010, 10:22
That's looking doubtfull as I'd have the same problem with the spring when taking the lower arms off. Without dismantling most of the back end I can't see how the lower arms will come off.

smithy
Thursday 25th March 2010, 13:01
That's looking doubtfull as I'd have the same problem with the spring when taking the lower arms off. Without dismantling most of the back end I can't see how the lower arms will come off.

from the pic above its looks like 2 bolts because the leaf spring just sits in the arms mate

Tomcat
Thursday 25th March 2010, 14:41
Nope, the N/s bolt goes forwards and right behind the head of the bolt is the roll bar, right behind the roll bar is the fuel tank. O/s would be ok though.

smithy
Thursday 25th March 2010, 20:38
Nope, the N/s bolt goes forwards and right behind the head of the bolt is the roll bar, right behind the roll bar is the fuel tank. O/s would be ok though.

can you cut the bolt and put a new one threw the other way with not looking at it myself it is hard to picture it mate

Tomcat
Thursday 25th March 2010, 22:01
Can't remember to be honest, I'll have a look next time I'm under it,lol. Gonna order some coilovers soon, I've priced some up going off what a guy on Turbobricks used they're only gonna cost a couple of hundred for the rears.

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 25th March 2010, 23:49
Vadis says to remove the ARB to get the rest off, from the pic it looks like the nuts for the ARB mounts are on the top of the suspension frame. Is there any access inside the car to get to these?

Tomcat
Friday 26th March 2010, 00:39
I know I've read it myself, I've also been face to face with it and there's bugger all room, even with the roll bar out of the way (which will be damn hard work) there's still the petrol tank.

Dangerous Dave
Friday 26th March 2010, 01:06
Nice. Bloody Volvo LOL. I know how you feel about the no room thing, my AWD stuff is bloody horrible to get at.

Tomcat
Friday 26th March 2010, 01:08
Yeah, typical, the other side will be a doddle because the bolt is facing the other way. It's gonna wait for now (even though the car's arse is stuck up in the air) until I can get the rear coilovers, then I'll just pull the whole lot out and take a couple of days to sort it out, even if this does mean dropping the diff as well.

Dangerous Dave
Friday 26th March 2010, 01:11
So some muppet put it in the wrong way at some point in its life?

Tomcat
Friday 26th March 2010, 01:13
Funnily enough I don't think so, I think this is the way some idiot at Volvo designed it to be, I presume they never for a moment thought that the lower arm would need to come off (now without removing the petrol tank that is)..Nothing like forward planning is there?.

Dangerous Dave
Friday 26th March 2010, 01:19
Too right matey, where did it all go wrong.

Vikingxl
Wednesday 31st March 2010, 10:29
You seen these peg leg?
http://www.vparts.se/sv/artiklar/aluminium-matarringar-940_960.html

Tomcat
Wednesday 31st March 2010, 10:52
Seen those on Ebay but thanks for the website link, might have some usefull stuff on it.

Tomcat
Thursday 1st April 2010, 19:01
Finally got around to changing the plugs today, think it's safe to say that they where well overdue for changing, can anyone say "Burnt plugs"?.

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/30032010108.jpg

**All six where like this...some were worse**

Volvostorm
Thursday 1st April 2010, 19:28
Burnt plugs! go well with chips

t5 pete
Sunday 4th April 2010, 17:54
got a idea for you why dont you get the 940 you have and use that but change every thing over from the 960 all the bumpers wings bonnet interia etc will bolt straight on also been talking to smithy and theres all ready location points for the m90 gear box and the best thing with the 940 is the rear setup so you can adjust the suspension all you want also i would have thought the 940 would be a lighter car.
So IMHO ide either turbo charge the red block or maybe put a 16v head on it or if you want to be different sit the 3.0 6 pot in there.
ide just buy a little ****ter to run around in while you got every thing swaped over.
And best of all you could weight the 960 shell in and also sell the 940 bits to cover the cost of buying the 960.

Tomcat
Sunday 4th April 2010, 18:59
Mmmm tempting but it's a hell of a lot to do just to lower the back of the car don't you think?. I've been looking at some photo's of another model that had a 960 front on it and it had coils and shocks on the back, looked a very similar setup to a 960 but had different lower arms for the springs to sit into. Currently trying to find out which model it could be.

smithy
Sunday 4th April 2010, 19:44
Mmmm tempting but it's a hell of a lot to do just to lower the back of the car don't you think?. I've been looking at some photo's of another model that had a 960 front on it and it had coils and shocks on the back, looked a very similar setup to a 960 but had different lower arms for the springs to sit into. Currently trying to find out which model it could be.

why not put the hole rear suspenion setup off the 940 in the 960 then you can have live rear axle and suspenion setup to go as low as you like .and its also alot stronger and also its a locking diff.just an idea if you dont want to do the lower arms mate.

Tomcat
Sunday 4th April 2010, 19:47
I've just worked out that the early 960 saloons had IRS but they had normal springs and shocks, plus because it's basicaly the same car it should bolt straight in. All I have to do now is find one for as little as possible.

t5 pete
Sunday 4th April 2010, 20:40
why not put the hole rear suspenion setup off the 940 in the 960 then you can have live rear axle and suspenion setup to go as low as you like .and its also alot stronger and also its a locking diff.just an idea if you dont want to do the lower arms mate.

good idea what happend eairler i couldnt get back in touch just went to your voice mail unless its my stupid phone that im well over due a new one lol

smithy
Monday 5th April 2010, 00:47
good idea what happend eairler i couldnt get back in touch just went to your voice mail unless its my stupid phone that im well over due a new one lol

get a new phone mate lol

Dangerous Dave
Monday 5th April 2010, 01:02
AFAIK, later 940's had IRS too.

smithy
Monday 5th April 2010, 09:43
AFAIK, later 940's had IRS too.

no they didnot mate all 940s have live axle .

Dangerous Dave
Monday 5th April 2010, 09:57
Was it the pre-facelift 960s then?

Tomcat
Monday 5th April 2010, 10:16
Yup.

Tomcat
Friday 9th April 2010, 17:28
Not had much time for upgrades latley but I did manage to do a few small things...

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/09042010112.jpg
Removed the filthy horrible sound deadening from under the bonnet

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/09042010110.jpg
Replaced the cheap and nasty cone filter I had on it with a lovely shiney new K&N.

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/09042010111.jpg
Debadged the boot lid because I was sick of all the dirt and crap around the old badges.

Tomcat
Saturday 10th April 2010, 21:02
Surprisingly I had another free day today so I got a few more jobs started/done. I manged (after much arsing around) to get the HID kit that I bought off Smithness fitted today, all worked ok for the first five minutes, now though it seems to have developed a mind of it's own and it wont have both headlights working at once, looks like it's just a bad connection though. Also started filling in all the dents and scratches around the car ready for paint, o/s rear door and rear quarter were wors't they've been filled and primed and are now ready for painting, hopefully this will get done tomorrow if the weather holds up.

Tomcat
Sunday 11th April 2010, 16:56
After much arsing around with HID's I've removed them as it now appears that one of the power packs is knackered, shame really but back to the standard bulbs (good job I didn't bin them). After wasting nearly a full day yesterday with them I decided to do something more constructive while the weather's nice and re painted the O/S rear quarter, it's had a bad scratch down it since I bought the car and I was sick of looking at it.

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/11042010113.jpg
Sadly I don't appear to have any pics of the damage before the paint, looks ok, it's not perfect but being sprayed outside I wasn't expecting it to be, however it's a million times better than it was before so it will do for now.

cameron
Sunday 11th April 2010, 22:18
Coming along nicely Craig :B_thumb:

Tomcat
Saturday 17th April 2010, 21:27
Cheers Lee.

No real updates as I've been busy with other things, the mould for the front bumper is getting close to being finished though, just got to finish a few small repairs and then make the flanges so it can be bolted together and then it's done.

t5 pete
Sunday 2nd May 2010, 22:01
hows it all going tc

Tomcat
Sunday 2nd May 2010, 22:42
Slowly.....lol.

Managed to get the other stuff I was doing finished so I can get on with my own car now, should have the mould for the front bumper finished next week and I've also ordered some window tint. If I can still afford it in I'll be ordering the coilovers for the rear in the coming weeks, so there's plenty to be going on with.

Tomcat
Saturday 8th May 2010, 23:23
Not really had much time for the car lately, it's just been doing daily service as the run about, however I have managed to buy a few small things latley, bought some new shape wheel centres which have been fitted and I've also got the window tint. Not had time to fit the tint yet and it's been too windy. I have managed to finally get the missing piece of chrome trim for the passenger side rear door, I had to buy it off a guy on turbobricks and ship it over from the U.S.

The mould for the front bumper is very,very nearly done, just got a couple of small jobs to do and then I'm finally ready to make it....yeahh!!!!, can't wait as it feels like I've been making the damn thing for years,lol. I've already got the paint for it and the bonnet so they'll both be getting a few coats before finally being fitted. Photo's to follow in a day or two..

cameron
Saturday 8th May 2010, 23:51
Shame on you TC, get that window tint fitted, you know your the Jedi master at it, just ask your lass ................

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo159/cameron793/P260609_1629.jpg

Tomcat
Sunday 9th May 2010, 20:36
Ok, thanks to your mythering Lee I started tinting the windows today, as I only started at 3pm I didn't have a lot of time, I only managed to get the two small windows on each side done. Then I started doing the rear door main windows, I got the first piece almost on when as I was pulling the last of the backing off the damn tint flopped over and stuck to itself, at this point I decided to give it up for today before I lost my rag and smashed something,lol. All in all it took me two hours to cut to size and cover four very small windows, I actualy cut one of them wrong twice(kept cutting it out back to front), good job I bought it on the roll this time,lol.

Hoping to get started on laminating the new bumper tomorrow.. If I can find time.

Tomcat
Tuesday 11th May 2010, 18:15
Finally!!!!!....

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/11052010131.jpg

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/11052010130.jpg

This is fresh out the mould so it still needs cleaning up, it also lost a tiny bit of gel here and there but mainly it's come out better than expected...

sen
Tuesday 11th May 2010, 18:17
Looking good tc. Why is it sunny in PxxT wigan!!!

Tomcat
Tuesday 11th May 2010, 18:19
Looking good tc. Why is it sunny in PxxT wigan!!!

Buggered if I know Dan, not that I'd noticed, I've been stuck in the garage all day laminating the bumper,lol.

sen
Tuesday 11th May 2010, 18:20
That's why you didnt answer my call lol.... or was it ohh it's that mytherin c**t!!!! lol