PDA

View Full Version : rumbling heater s80 2002

dobbin
Sunday 31st January 2010, 13:27
heya folks, when turning the heater speed button to anything past the first few lights the heater works fine but has a noticable rumbling dull thudding noise any cure or fix for this ?, as its quite noticable
thanks , george.

thebadger
Sunday 31st January 2010, 22:15
Could be something stuck in the pollen filters. Alternativly the tightening collar on the fan axle may be loose, meaning that it's getting a grip at low revs, but "slipping" at higher speeds.

This may account for the rumbling noise.

The fan & motor units are available on ebay, one at £60, one at £55.

Best suggestion is to check the polen filter, then think about removing the fan unit to check it's free of any obstructions & that the fan is solid on the motor.

v70torslanda
Sunday 31st January 2010, 22:30
^^^^^^^^
Wot e sed!

dobbin
Monday 1st February 2010, 00:39
thanks guys, the air blast still goes up in stages according to the speeds selected the first 3-4 positions seem to be affected at higher settings it calms down, it does sound like a spindle thing yeah, is the motor easy to get access to?

thebadger
Monday 1st February 2010, 01:11
Should be** (going by V70 access) on the passenger side under the dash.

Should be a large round cover near the center console... this should be the fan unit. The pollen filter will be on the floor to the middle of the footwell. (panel shaped as if you couldn't guess)

Funny thing is that my fan has developed a squeak at about 1/4-1/3 speed. Not a huge issue, but a pain if I'm checking the engine noise & I get all confused what's up with it!

dobbin
Monday 1st February 2010, 02:05
yeah when i first noticed it i thought hell an engine knocking sound lol, thanks for the info ill take a look tomorrow in the daylight of it isnt snowing or hammering down rain, sounds like a twitst around and look up ito the underside of the dash, job for a contortionist

thebadger
Monday 1st February 2010, 02:35
Seat all the way back & a blanket to lie on outside the car.

Really it should be about a 20 min job to get the two of them checked.

dobbin
Monday 1st February 2010, 15:23
thanks badger, was gonna have a go but its baltic out there, will try when it gets above freezing, lol